phil liggett

Comments

• niedermeyer
    niedermeyer Posts: 1,075
    "He’s an eminent scientist and a very intelligent man. I don’t know his name"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEolSjlcqng
    Watch the ABC documentary (link posted in the Lance thread)... he basically admits that the game is up and looks like he doesn't really know which way is up anymore... I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Dont bite the hand that feeds eh - The other half of the double act sherwen cant possibly match this :roll:
  • bipedal wrote:
    Watch the ABC documentary (link posted in the Lance thread)... he basically admits that the game is up and looks like he doesn't really know which way is up anymore... I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him

Yeah, I wonder which came first - the TV interview, or the CN one (which I suspect CN did mainly for comedy value).

from the CN i/v:

“He told me to his face that he didn’t and I had no reason not to believe it. Don’t forget, on television we don’t actually mix with the riders."

Jeez, who does anyone rational even try to make something out of the contradictions just in those 2 sentences.

After considering for all of 20 seconds, my conclusion is that he has senility mixed with Stockhausen Syndrome
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    afx237vi wrote:
    le patron wrote:
    Oh my God. Where do you start with that article ?!?

An eminent scientist sent him an email via a friend, via SMS (??), and he can't remember his name (but he's very eminent) who said that Lance should be dead if had taken all that’s stuff…

Yet Tyler, who told the truth in his book about the huge amount of sh.t he took, is miraculously still with us.

It does remind me of the various medical ailments suffered by rock stars. I once heard that Lemmy got to the stage where he had to take amphetamines to keep his heart beating.

Anyone thinking Liggett was in a great position to expose the Lance myth is surely mistaken though. Any dissenting comment from him would have seen him removed from his position. Besides, whilst it may have remained an "open secret" I doubt many journos had enough of an idea of what went on to present what could pass as evidence.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Jez mon wrote:

Anyone thinking Liggett was in a great position to expose the Lance myth is surely mistaken though. Any dissenting comment from him would have seen him removed from his position. Besides, whilst it may have remained an "open secret" I doubt many journos had enough of an idea of what went on to present what could pass as evidence.

I don't thing many - if any- were expecting a Road to Damascus conversion from Liggett or that he was going to dob Lance in to the Feds. This is more about his increasingly desperate attempts to defend the indefensible. There comes a time when you should start digging upwards.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Time to act ITV and NBC.

What a fucking idiot.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    He's about 70 isn't he ?

No wonder young people can't get jobs with all the old farts hanging on

Time to fuck off with lance
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    le patron wrote:
    Oh my God. Where do you start with that article ?!?

An eminent scientist sent him an email via a friend, via SMS (??), and he can't remember his name (but he's very eminent) who said that Lance should be dead if had taken all that’s stuff…

That was the stand out line. Mind you, to be fair he can't remember the names of riders on a TV screen that he has been watching for years so it does sound feasible ;)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    So he's not actually read the evidence, but lance told him that he didn't dope. And he's done an awful lot of good for a lot of people...

So that's all right then
  • thomthom
    Mikey23 wrote:
    So he's not actually read the evidence, but lance told him that he didn't dope. And he's done an awful lot of good for a lot of people...

So that's all right then

Yep, seems legit.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    I had an email from an eminent Scientologist from the US yesterday. An SMS actually.

There fixed that for you
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Whoa, just read the CN 'interview' I assume that it's been edited to make him appear more misguided than he already is, that reads like the ramblings of a madman!

Liggets voice is classic, but what he says these days are a load of tosh, I've got a couple of DVDs that him and Paul have done the commentry on and they're awful. And the father in law says he's a bit of a c*ck n all.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    David Duffield for the NEW itv4 commentators chair .....Yay or Nay ? 8)
    Liggett was not a patch on Duffield, some 20 years ago.
    Duffield is older than Liggett and stayed too long and they are both "past their sell by date".

......................................... NAY,
    gsk82 wrote:
    Hopefully, not that I need an alternative to the excellent Dave Harmon.
    You have to be a Wind Up Merchant to say things like that and so, is it you that says Lancy is innocent. :?: ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    In that Cycling News article, he just comes across as massively confused and all over the shop. Much like his commentary of recent years unfortunately.

I also find it MASSIVELY hard to believe that someone who makes his living from cycling did not read the USADA report as soon as it came out - the rest of the world appears to have done.

70 years old though and has seen the foundations of his world crumble...
  • Good reactions to the ramblings of Liggett on Twitter:

Danny Pate: Got an SMS from a secondary person about a guy who I'm not even sure of his name...BUT he said unicorns poop cupcakes, must be true
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ScottLeMond: @nyvelocity Yep, standing around talking at the finish, Phil and Paul were talking about how lance was the biggest cheat.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    ScottLeMond: @nyvelocity Yep, standing around talking at the finish, Phil and Paul were talking about how lance was the biggest cheat.

Phil and Paul know which side their bread is buttered.

They got in deep and raked the reward.

They're old enough that they can and should get out with their briefcase still full of cash.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    iainf72 wrote:

Phil and Paul know which side their bread is buttered.

They got in deep and raked the reward.

They're old enough that they can and should get out with their briefcase still full of cash.

Posts like that make me smile. I'm glad you're back, Rick.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    2pophdu.jpg

On Lance's plan (not recent)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Legit liggett... Has a ring to it
  • 2pophdu.jpg

On Lance's plan (not recent)

Whats in that coffee cup??? Did Armstrong move on from Motoman on motorbike and EPO in thermos flasks, to Liggett on plane and EPO in Starbucks coffee cups?? It just gets worse :wink:
  • thomthom
    It's not the original photo though.
  • thomthom
    Let's see..

Wait, here's the original.

985y6d.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    LOL
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    2pophdu.jpg

On Lance's plane (not recent)

Was that photo taken shortly after he was enrolled in the "Mile High" club?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q03sc8Ao ... e=youtu.be

@ 20: 50, Liggett finally states that he can't believe that Armstrong didn't take drugs; but mitigates it by
    saying that everyone else was doing the same.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I can’t walk away because of contracts I’ve signed until 2016

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • thomthom
    Scott LeMond ‏@ScottLeMond
    Oh Phil, i remember during stage 9 of the 2007 Tour, how you were talking about how dirty Lance was, good times.

nyvelocity ‏@nyvelocity
    RT @ScottLeMond:(In person?)

Scott LeMond ‏@ScottLeMond
    @nyvelocity Yep, standing around talking at the finish, Phil and Paul were talking about how lance was the biggest cheat.
  • It's Chris Boardman i can't stand.

Does he ever f*cking smile? :shock: