bike snobs

boristhespie
boristhespie Posts: 109
edited October 2012 in MTB general
I like all cycling but regard some of the more downhill, trials stuff (eg Rampage) more like mucking around, enjoyable and skillfull but still mucking around. That's not saying it aint fun, I Still like it for 10 minutes.

Yet (boo hoo) mention a preference for cross country and enduro as the purest form of mountain bike and I get a shed load of "lycra" abuse.

Come on ponces bike snobbery sucks. Discuss...

Just to point out I aint complaining and not able to take it. It's just a fun discussion so pleeeeze let's not be too serious.

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Oh the irony

surely you see you are engaging in so called snobbery by proclaiming favour of one "form" of biking over another

Enduro has parts of XC, Trails and Downhill in it, so how can it be more pure than its components ?

riding a bike is the purest form of biking (unless you own an Orange 5)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I like all cycling but regard some of the more downhill, trials stuff more like mucking around. Still like it tho. Yet mention I regard cross country and enduro as the purest form of mountain bike and I get a shed load of "lycra" abuse.

:roll: we haven't had an idiot of this caliber for a while, i'm quite looking forward to it :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Eh...the OP is clearly not a snob, he's stated his preferance (we all have them) even though he appreciates them, yet seems to be getting negative comments about his preferance (different to a lack of positive comment), at least he's not a shaven legged poncy gay Roadie anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Correctomundo.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I get a shed load of "lycra" abuse.
    Is that a euphemism?
    And more importantly, do you enjoy it?
    Correctomundo.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I personally think that some of the road cycling clubs where i live do frown a little on mountian biking, a few of us sense that from time to time, we could care less but it is noticeable. And a little bit of how much my bike cost snobbery too

I mentioned i'm also a very keen (prefer the word biker but to save any confusion) motorcyclist. There are sports bike riders who won't acknowledge Harley riders, 1ltr bikers who won't wave at a guy on a 125 because he isn't a "real biker"

Its just human nature, there are assholes in all walks of life :|
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    All mtbers hate roadies. So why would we expect anything but reciprocation?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doesn't random sh1t belong in Cruddie?

Makes no difference to me as I hate everyone.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    cooldad wrote:
    Doesn't random sh1t belong in Cruddie?

Makes no difference to me as I hate everyone.

i thought that, i think all his posts belong there so they can be discussed properly :lol:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    cooldad wrote:
    I hate everyone.

somebody needs a hug (not from me tho)
  • well i only like xc riding, im not a fan of the downhill, trials stuff. i can see its fun to them who do it but its not my thing.
  • All mtbers hate roadies. So why would we expect anything but reciprocation?

speak for yourself... I'm just a cyclist.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I've got a road bike, a trails bike and a heavy AM bike. I've worn lycra and DH gear together a times.

I must be confused about my sexuality
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I am a Roadie who came from MTBIng and I still do dabble off road (even though I'm a proper grown up now).

FYI roadies use all of their hate up on motorists (quite rightly) and simply see MTBing, BMX and all those other two wheeled kids sports as comical and rather amusing....no hate though. The only form of off road riding that roadies respect is track & cyclo cross. Even then some of us regard cyclo cross as a bit perverted.

Not snobbery by the way, just different cultures (or sub cultures if you think that you're extreme).

Hope that helps.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    All mtbers hate roadies. So why would we expect anything but reciprocation?

So you're not an mtber.
  • welshkev
    passout wrote:
    Even then some of us regard cyclo cross as a bit perverted.

doesn't everyone? :wink:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    It's all just mucking about unless you're competing and/or getting paid for it.

I ride up mountains and down mountains

For 10 weeks a year and get a lift up mountains and ride down mountains with man mad features & big-ass jumps etc

Sometimes (like yesterday) I ride to a skate park or BMX or DJ track and muck about on that for a bit

I do all this on mountain bikes. These are also all separate sports under the mountain biking umbrella (if I was competing and/or getting paid for it which I'm not)

I don't get your point?

XC mountain biking get's far more coverage and has for more competitors, riders & followers the world over this is because it's far more accessible (you don't need an expensive bike and a lift)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Oh, those euphemisms:
    • "Real" cyclists prefer . . .
    • The purest form . . .
    • Keen/enthusiastic cyclists prefer . . .
    They all mean, YOU ARE NOT REAL, YOU ARE IMPURE, YOU'RE NOT KEEN, YOU'RE JUST PRETENDING AND PEOPLE WHO ARE KEEN, PROPER, REAL CYCLISTS HAVE LONG AGO TAKEN A GIANT $H!T ON YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU BELIEVE IN.

Or something like that. Still, all got to have an opinion, eh?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • All mtbers hate roadies. So why would we expect anything but reciprocation?

So you're not an mtber.

I ride mountain bikes but I also ride road, time trials, CX, occasionally track and also run.. don't feel the need to align myself to a tribe or hate anyone... I'm not keen on cows though as they often chase me.
  • welshkev wrote:
    passout wrote:

first race of my season this weekend..can't wait.. now, where's my gag ball and mask.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    passout wrote:

first race of my season this weekend..can't wait.. now, where's my gag ball and mask.

Pervert :wink:

My brother in law used to race it years ago over the winter. I never really got it. But each to their own, I just used to watch and think "that'd be much easier on a mountain bike" :lol:
  • welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    passout wrote:

My brother in law used to race it years ago over the winter. I never really got it. But each to their own, I just used to watch and think "that'd be much easier on a mountain bike" :lol:

whats not to get??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGAIYKTZ9w
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    boristhespie, are to talking about the Rampage thread?

If so I don't think there is any bike snobbery thrown at you? People were just pointing out that from their point of view DH and Freeride is a sport as well as XC. In fact I think you are flirting with snobbery for thinking DH etc are not sports as the ratio of athletic ability to skill ability is not heavily biased towards the athletic ability.

I believe the dictionary states a sport is something that requires athletic ability and skills (or something to that effect). The ratio of the two things can be anything does not need to be biased towards one or the other.

edit - I also doubt any one would argue that XC isn't the purest form of mountain biking as it takes in a bit from lots of cycling disciplines. But to discount anything else as just mucking about, is a bit insulting to the people who put in a lot of time, effort and dedication to become good at their sport.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    If anything I would say pure xc racing is the least pure from of mtb and rampage personifies it. Going back to the start, the whole point of mtb was going out and just ripping the trails up and having fun til you crashed, broke your bike and walked home, which is kinda what rampage is, albeit an extreme version.

I'm not saying that we should all be sending it off the oakley drop or flying over a canyon, but just getting out and riding your bike, not really caring about anything and pushing yourself is what this lark is really about.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    passout wrote:

whats not to get??

I've seen that before and it still makes me laugh :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    passout wrote:

whats not to get??

It's a classic :lol:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    :lol::lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I like all cycling but regard some of the more downhill, trials stuff (eg Rampage) more like mucking around, enjoyable and skillfull but still mucking around. That's not saying it aint fun, I Still like it for 10 minutes.

Yet (boo hoo) mention a preference for cross country and enduro as the purest form of mountain bike and I get a shed load of "lycra" abuse.

Just to point out I aint complaining and not able to take it. It's just a fun discussion so pleeeeze let's not be too serious.

So your saying that my favorite type of riding and racing (which I take quite seriously) is mucking about and xc (which I do as well) is the purest type of mountain biking? And your complaining about elitist mountain bikers?

Idiot
  • passout

' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGAIYKTZ9w

It's a classic :lol: '

I see you point; it a good spectator sport just as F1 is (waiting for crashes). Good clip.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    On purity - the most pure / undiluted form must be the early years of the sport before it got split up into different categories. I'm thinking up until the mid 1990s. When I started in 1987 there was no suspension, no discs just 'messing around' and maybe the odd race. Excuse me whilst I get all nostalgic and misty eyed. Anyway, unless you were riding then, then your MTBing is just a shadow, a mass produced unimaginative pale imitation of those glory days and you'll never understand. Of course those in Marin county on the repack trail may have a slightly different view!

If you were riding in the 1980s or up until around 1995, then were have a bond then cannot be broken in these days of full suspension and 29ers (both are cheating by the way). Some say evolution, I say desecration & ruination. Progress? Right, I'm off for a quick blast on my Penny Farthing.