*RESOLVED!* Confused over forks VooDoo Bantu not 120mm

13»

Comments

• Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Umm...not sure what all the fuss is about really. OK, they weren't sold as advertised, but if the OP didn't notice the forks were too short for 3 months and presumably found the bike rode perfectly well with 100mm forks, are they really going to notice the difference with 120mm forks? Probably not.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Spotted this topic and thought I'd register to post as I dunno what to do...

I got a Bantu 4 months ago and have been enjoying it greatly (after a few initial problems with the lovely ppl in a certain shop that sells them) but when I collected the bike I noticed the forks (and shifters) were different from the display model. When I commented I was told the display model was last year's stock and thus the difference. Didn't think to check or measure anything until I saw this post last night and, as you can guess, I've only got 100mm forks too. For ref, they marked as Raidon X3 with the air valve at the bottom by the dropout - the ones on the display model had the air valve under the cap at the crown, but not sure about model number or if there was a rebound-adjust at bottom or not. (and this was purchased from a store near manchester, not the OP's Stoke on Trent store)

Both Halfords and Voodoo's websites still quote a 120mm fork, so there was a batch over summer (still now?) which were sold not as described.

now I'm 50-50 about speaking to Halfords, as like the OP, it's been a few months since purchase. I enjoy the bike and obviously haven't noticed the missing 20mm fork travel (and had I not read this post I would be none the wiser)... But, on the other hand, now I know about it I'm a little annoyed as I expected to get the advertised spec for my money (and despite not needing that travel now I'm wanting to push myself more and eventually I may get into a situation where I did want it).

If I know they're extendable then I might try that, but I don't really have the tools and certainly don't want to do anything to either screw them up, or prevent any return/replacement (if I was to open them and find out there wasn't any adjustment).

I know there's been a few replies along the lines of "not sure what the fuss is about" but wouldn't you be a little miffed if you realized you've got a lower spec than was advertised (at the time of sale and since)? would you let it lie or go back to the shop?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you saw the spec had changed when you collected it, you should really have raised it then and insist you wanted the goods that you paid for. You saw the changes, they gave you the reasons: but you kept the bike so you have 'accepted the goods', and there is little that can be done unless they change it as a good will gesture. You could argue you have been misled and they didn't explain the full changes.
  • lighty89
    lighty89 Posts: 183
    Spotted this topic and thought I'd register to post as I dunno what to do...

I got a Bantu 4 months ago and have been enjoying it greatly (after a few initial problems with the lovely ppl in a certain shop that sells them) but when I collected the bike I noticed the forks (and shifters) were different from the display model. When I commented I was told the display model was last year's stock and thus the difference. Didn't think to check or measure anything until I saw this post last night and, as you can guess, I've only got 100mm forks too. For ref, they marked as Raidon X3 with the air valve at the bottom by the dropout - the ones on the display model had the air valve under the cap at the crown, but not sure about model number or if there was a rebound-adjust at bottom or not. (and this was purchased from a store near manchester, not the OP's Stoke on Trent store)

Both Halfords and Voodoo's websites still quote a 120mm fork, so there was a batch over summer (still now?) which were sold not as described.

now I'm 50-50 about speaking to Halfords, as like the OP, it's been a few months since purchase. I enjoy the bike and obviously haven't noticed the missing 20mm fork travel (and had I not read this post I would be none the wiser)... But, on the other hand, now I know about it I'm a little annoyed as I expected to get the advertised spec for my money (and despite not needing that travel now I'm wanting to push myself more and eventually I may get into a situation where I did want it).

If I know they're extendable then I might try that, but I don't really have the tools and certainly don't want to do anything to either screw them up, or prevent any return/replacement (if I was to open them and find out there wasn't any adjustment).

I know there's been a few replies along the lines of "not sure what the fuss is about" but wouldn't you be a little miffed if you realized you've got a lower spec than was advertised (at the time of sale and since)? would you let it lie or go back to the shop?

The way you should see it is that the person in store did not tell you they were different than what they were advertised....

Advertised at 120mm, and if you were not told otherwise you were missold them.
    Mine have been sent off for a day or two to be turned into 120mm apparently.

I'd complain, I've told trading standards and the ASA.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • supersonic
    Trading standards will do nothing.
  • supersonic wrote:
    If you saw the spec had changed when you collected it, you should really have raised it then and insist you wanted the goods that you paid for. You saw the changes, they gave you the reasons: but you kept the bike so you have 'accepted the goods', and there is little that can be done unless they change it as a good will gesture. You could argue you have been misled and they didn't explain the full changes.
    I can see what you're saying and understand I should have probably probed further at purchase, but if you were told the demo bike is from the previous season then wouldn't you just ignore it's components knowing it's got little bearing on what's being sold this season? thus why I didn't ask for a full breakdown on what has changed.

Bottom line, their in-shop and online description and spec for the Bantu state a variety of components (which include a 120mm fork) and thus it's this spec that I would expect any customer to receive (irrespective of what the demo bike has). Or, is that too naive an assumption?
  • supersonic
    The online description has little bearing on what actually might be sold instore as, as in the case here, you get various models from various years which may not listed on the website. Specs are subject to change too, as in the terms and conditions. But...

If you went into the store and saw a model, and bought that model then you should get what you bought. If you reserved online a bike and picked up instore, you should get the listed spec online.

So if the model you saw and agreed to buy had 120mm forks then you should have received that: however the problem is that you noticed a difference yet accepted the goods. Best thing you can do is what the OP has done - go into the shop, say you bought a bike that was described instore as having 120mm forks (and you saw the bike), yet you have now noticed that your bike is not the same and has a lower spec from what you agreed to buy. Or better still, say they are faulty as are not achieving 100mm of travel.
  • lighty89
    supersonic wrote:
    I can see what you're saying and understand I should have probably probed further at purchase, but if you were told the demo bike is from the previous season then wouldn't you just ignore it's components knowing it's got little bearing on what's being sold this season? thus why I didn't ask for a full breakdown on what has changed.

Bottom line, their in-shop and online description and spec for the Bantu state a variety of components (which include a 120mm fork) and thus it's this spec that I would expect any customer to receive (irrespective of what the demo bike has). Or, is that too naive an assumption?

Exactly the case. And Halfords policy may say 28 days, however the SoGA states that items must be fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality and be as described. If the item does not conform to this then within the first 6 months from purchase it is up to the seller to prove otherwise, and a remedy of the least inconvenience must be provided to the customer.

Don't let them tell you otherwise, this is your legal right as a consumer.

In terms of bikes quoting the above to the CEO of Go Outdoors got me a refund on a bike (which they also said keep) 6 months after I had purchased it!
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • lighty89
    Just think how many of them have been sold without the advertised forks!
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • supersonic
    As I keep saying, the advertised spec can change! Bantus instore can be different to ones online.

That doesn't change your rights if you have bought (a contract) goods that were described at point of sale. You have to be careful applying the SOGA, read it carefully.
  • lighty89
    supersonic wrote:
    As I keep saying, the advertised spec can change! Bantus instore can be different to ones online.

That doesn't change your rights if you have bought (a contract) goods that were described at point of sale. You have to be careful applying the SOGA, read it carefully.

Your idea about saying they are faulty as there not achieving 120 is good.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    supersonic wrote:

Halfords online bikes may well be different to ones in store, but the reality is that withe the various online purchasing options, home delivery, buy online and collect in store, reserve and pay in store,
    etc. You could end up with a different bike that has one advertised specification.

Having looked at various halfords bikes in the past I know that their specifications are often wrong. And the spec at point of sale is usually minimal.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's not ACTUALLY a Halfords bike though is it? A Carrera would be, a Voodoo is not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lighty89
    Well just had a call from Customer Services who have said they are now ordering the forks!
    Talk about confusing, I rung the store after to make sure and they confirmed this.

They have agreed to foot the cost between themselves, half and half, and apparently the forks are on special order.
    They have gone to a different supplier for them.

Am going to ring the Store Manager later to confirm this as I have been told so many different things!
    Hopefully going to start getting somewhere now.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • lighty89
    Spoke to the store manager, the store have ordered me... Suntour Epicon LOD at 120mm.
    Bit of a result.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • lighty89
    RESOLVED.

Picked the bike up last night!
    Now has the 120mm Travel Epicon fork, and it looks BEAST.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    lighty89 wrote:
    RESOLVED.

Good stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Win win then....free upgrade and the right travel!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lighty89
    Win win then....free upgrade and the right travel!

Exactly!
    Cant wait get out on it now this weekend, plans for cannock chase have been cancelled though as I didnt think I would have it back :|
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    lighty89 wrote:
    RESOLVED.

great work, glad it's all sorted :D