*RESOLVED!* Confused over forks VooDoo Bantu not 120mm

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There was a post a while back where a poster blemd wiggle for a 'defect' on his bike that was actually exactly how it should have been anyway, that and the fact he was a total bell end, hence ever since we blaim Wiggle...if CRC ship the wrong thing, blame Wiggle!

I agree Halfords are resonsible, and have offered to sort it so all good, but that doesn't mean they are in any way to blame (morally) for the error and the bike getting to you as it did. Expecting a tech to notice it at PDI was really wholly unrealistic, it wasn't right, but that doesn't mean it was then right to blame the wrong people! If a new car has a fault people don't blame the supplying dealership but the manufacturer who engineered and built it, even though the supplying dealer is the one legally liable to correct it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lighty89
    lighty89 Posts: 183
    There was a post a while back where a poster blemd wiggle for a 'defect' on his bike that was actually exactly how it should have been anyway, that and the fact he was a total bell end, hence ever since we blaim Wiggle...if CRC ship the wrong thing, blame Wiggle!

I agree Halfords are resonsible, and have offered to sort it so all good, but that doesn't mean they are in any way to blame (morally) for the error and the bike getting to you as it did. Expecting a tech to notice it at PDI was really wholly unrealistic, it wasn't right, but that doesn't mean it was then right to blame the wrong people! If a new car has a fault people don't blame the supplying dealership but the manufacturer who engineered and built it, even though the supplying dealer is the one legally liable to correct it.

Ah yeah I see your point pal.
    Oh well, should be getting there now, Head Office rung and asked me take it into Store to swap the forks over!
    Going give them a call when I finish work soon!

One lad in the store so he had noticed loads coming in like that, so makes you wonder how many are actually out there with the shorter forks!
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    How many base Lardrocks went out - including from Spesh's own concept stores - without the frame tabs for discs and with a freewheel isntead of a cassette? Thousands at a guess, no-one blamed the stores for that, blaming Halfords for a bike being delivered to them wrong is just being stupid frankly. I blame Wiggle.
    isn't that called the Hardrock SE
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    Dunno, don't like Lardrocks (10 Sport Disc was the only decent one) but probably! SE= Special Economy!

Bike Radar's review picked up the error as I recall but that didn't stop them being sold like that for a year or so!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I recently bought a Boardman FS Team from Halfords boxed and built it myself and also helped a mate build a Bantu he bought last weekend which was also boxed. I can confirm that both bikes needed little building to be honest. Just a case of putting the bars on, front wheel on, saddle post in and pedals on. Then just a case of adjusting the gears and brakes etc. so it's perfectly understandable that the tech in Halfords wouldn't check the fork travel, he would just assume the factory would have got it right in the first place!

Having said that, the OP is correct in that it is Halfords responsibility as the contract of sale is with them, however it sounds like Halfords are doing everything they can to rectify the situation so there isn't really a problem, is there?

The only real problem would be is if this is happening repeatedly and Halfords know about it, then they are willingly selling misrepresented goods!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • lighty89
    Well this got a little bit more confusing.

The bike manager in the store pumped the forks up to 200psi, and measured them on the sly quickly to say each they're fine. And then compared them to the one on display, which was massively different the other day. Today they were the same size. He said yeah the Bantu doesn't come with 120mm forks!!

He said it did before, and we occasionally get the 120mm forks in.
    So I was like why are you still selling them as 120mm then!
    He said because it is in a way.
    I said you should remove them from sale if you mis advertising them and he wouldn't!

I kicked up a fuss. Apparently they don't make 120mm raidon no more, so they're ordering me epicon forks (win).
    Just got wait till about next Wednesday for that (lose).

He did say though running 120mm forks on them will void the warranty... Big LOL.
    I said you've got to be kidding me pal, you sold them as 120mm.
    So spoke to customer services on the phone AGAIN just, and they said no it wouldn't.

So beware with Bantu's now.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Wow, just..

Wow.

Hope it gets sorted mate.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    While Halfords are wrong in this case, specs are subject to change. if you buy instore then the goods could be different. But if you buy online a specified bike then you are entitled to the spec listed.
  • WTF Carrera vulcan priced at £379.99 with hydraulic forks my trek £575 with a F-ing coil spring someone help me out here what am I missing. Im assuming hydraulic is better or am I wrong?
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Slow down, start again.

What do you want to know? Hydraulic what, brakes? Forks?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dannyboy95 wrote:
    WTF Carrera vulcan priced at £379.99 with hydraulic forks my trek £575 with a F-ing coil spring someone help me out here what am I missing. Im assuming hydraulic is better or am I wrong?
    Hydraulic means liquid - so in relation to forks normally means damping (oil). Which is better than no damping.
    Spring will be either coil or air, but not hydraulic as you can't compress liquid which is why it's used in hydraulic brakes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    lighty89 wrote:
    Well this got a little bit more confusing.

The bike manager in the store pumped the forks up to 200psi, and measured them on the sly quickly to say each they're fine. And then compared them to the one on display, which was massively different the other day. Today they were the same size. He said yeah the Bantu doesn't come with 120mm forks!!

He said it did before, and we occasionally get the 120mm forks in.
    So I was like why are you still selling them as 120mm then!
    He said because it is in a way.
    I said you should remove them from sale if you mis advertising them and he wouldn't!

I kicked up a fuss. Apparently they don't make 120mm raidon no more, so they're ordering me epicon forks (win).
    Just got wait till about next Wednesday for that (lose).

He did say though running 120mm forks on them will void the warranty... Big LOL.
    I said you've got to be kidding me pal, you sold them as 120mm.
    So spoke to customer services on the phone AGAIN just, and they said no it wouldn't.

So beware with Bantu's now.

Ask em to swap the forks on display.
  • lighty89
    Bit of an update.
    Can't swap the forks for the epicon as they use a different quick release axle.
    So they're sending mine off to the distributer to have a look at and to rebuild into a 120mm fork.
    This mixing and matching of parts will be interesting...

More than a bit shit, but can't seem to get anywhere with their useless staff.
    Pissed off with the whole thing!

And yet Halfords and still selling the Bantu as 120mm travel air forks, even though they don't exist no more.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Money back and go elsewhere?
  • The Rookie
    Many 100mm forks are just spaced down 120's anyway, not sure about your's.

Still selling tham as 120mm is a bit naughty though, I agree.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    lighty89 wrote:
    Bit of an update.
    Can't swap the forks for the epicon as they use a different quick release axle.
    So they're sending mine off to the distributer to have a look at and to rebuild into a 120mm fork.
    This mixing and matching of parts will be interesting...

More than a bit shoot, but can't seem to get anywhere with their useless staff.
    Pissed off with the whole thing!

And yet Halfords and still selling the Bantu as 120mm travel air forks, even though they don't exist no more.

What store is this? Seems really shoot.

Can you go to another local store see if they have a Bantu with the correct forks? If so, get a refund on the current bike (I don't know if this is possible with SOGA etc) and get another Bantu with the correct forks? This way you shouldn't be out of money, got a new bike with correct forks with less waiting around?

But if all Bantu's are being sold with 100 forks and it's still 120 online.... ehm :/

Yeah I think they might be spaced down Beginner
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    Just some more input, built up a Bantu last night from my shop and after reading this noticed straight away that the forks were x3's, so measured them and they came through at 130mm travel... Was confused for a bit so checked it all out on the system and it seems the bike is going through a full spec overhaul which is disappointing because no one actual tells us that this is happening, we only find out when we notice that the bikes are very different to what is on display and end up chasing after head office to get the right specs and point of sale display etc which is a nightmare sometimes.

In this instance however, gave the customer a phone to tell them of the change and that they could pick between the old spec and new spec, as the forks were a completely different colour scheme and it just looked weird, btw the one on display also measured in at 120mm travel with raidon forks, they weren't x1/x3 though I know that for sure but yeah its irritating to us as staff when we cant do anything about it and have to fanny about waiting for someone further along the line to process stuff and get the right details back to us.

Anyways, in your case lighty, it seems its been handled very poorly, would have been much simpler to swap the forks for the one on display as heez29 said without going through all this shit and you being without bike for ages! Which Halfords is it anyway?
  • supersonic

The 120mm forks do still exist. It seems that a batch of bikes have been fitted with the 100mm, including yours.
  • lighty89
    jolmes wrote:
    Just some more input, built up a Bantu last night from my shop and after reading this noticed straight away that the forks were x3's, so measured them and they came through at 130mm travel... Was confused for a bit so checked it all out on the system and it seems the bike is going through a full spec overhaul which is disappointing because no one actual tells us that this is happening, we only find out when we notice that the bikes are very different to what is on display and end up chasing after head office to get the right specs and point of sale display etc which is a nightmare sometimes.

In this instance however, gave the customer a phone to tell them of the change and that they could pick between the old spec and new spec, as the forks were a completely different colour scheme and it just looked weird, btw the one on display also measured in at 120mm travel with raidon forks, they weren't x1/x3 though I know that for sure but yeah its irritating to us as staff when we cant do anything about it and have to fanny about waiting for someone further along the line to process stuff and get the right details back to us.

Anyways, in your case lighty, it seems its been handled very poorly, would have been much simpler to swap the forks for the one on display as heez29 said without going through all this shoot and you being without bike for ages! Which Halfords is it anyway?

Since seeing the ones on display the adviser has told me they are only 100mm:-S

It's the Fenton!, stoke on Trent store.
    Don't suppose you got any ideas to help me get somewhere, getting calls from store and customer services bit saying different things.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • lighty89
    Just pure confused over what to do! They are a nightmare to deal with!
    It's been a fight to try and get them to do anything, and now they want to "mix and match" forks and stuff!?
    What the fuck is that about, I just want what I was sold!

Trading standards are aware now and somebody will be calling me within the next 5 days, I have told customer services that I have contacted them and they don't seem that bothered!

Along they now plod selling 100mm forks as 120mm forks, knowing they are wrong - but not telling customers.
    I have since rung and asked about it as if I was a normal customer, and the Bike Manager (who said we only do 100mm forks on these now) said "yeah they're 120mm travel air forks".

Also, this technician says that all forks in store are pumped up to 200psi.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • supersonic
    Deal with the store, as dealing with multiple people will confuse matters.

Specs are subject to change. As I said earlier, what is in store is unrelated to what is available online, it even says that in the Halfords terms (if you have read them). However as you bought online and picked up instore, you can expect the advertised goods. 3 months later though and it could be deemed you have accepted the goods anyway, no fault has occurred.

If they have offered to extend the forks then take it. Stop worrying about what they are selling, and concentrate on your own case.
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    zx6man wrote:
    Money back and go elsewhere?

This.

Exactly what I did after my third Boardman had bb30 problems then it was put back together by an idiot, I asked for a refund.
  • supersonic
    He's got no rights for a refund. Yet.
  • lighty89
    supersonic wrote:

What would be rights for refund mate?
    Thanks for the advice.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • supersonic
    If there is a problem with the bike that does not conform to contract ie in this case the fork does not have the travel as indicated, then the retailer has the right to remedy the situation. This should be done in a reasonable amount of time. I'd give them 2 weeks from the day you reported it to them. I would not however keep on asking different people in the company what they would do, as it might vary depending on store (one might replace, one might repair, depending on what is available).

Keep with the store, and get them to supply a 120mm fork. If they cannot (either replace or repair), you may be entitled to a refund.
  • lighty89
    supersonic wrote:
    If there is a problem with the bike that does not conform to contract ie in this case the fork does not have the travel as indicated, then the retailer has the right to remedy the situation. This should be done in a reasonable amount of time. I'd give them 2 weeks from the day you reported it to them. I would not however keep on asking different people in the company what they would do, as it might vary depending on store (one might replace, one might repair, depending on what is available).

Keep with the store, and get them to supply a 120mm fork. If they cannot (either replace or repair), you may be entitled to a refund.

Thanks!
    So these 100mm forks I have... Do you reckon it will be an easy job for them to make them 120mm?
    Perhaps swap dropper or whatever it is.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • supersonic
    If they are extendable, yes. Many are.
  • They are changeable, posted a link earlier on!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • supersonic
    Some OE ones are not, have to open them up to find out really.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    lighty89 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

What would be rights for refund mate?
    Thanks for the advice.

You need to give them a reasonable time to remedy the problem,
    and then they need to fail.

Unfortunately you cannot exactly define 'reasonable'
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance