Wiggle Dragon Ride 2013

Hi All,

Thinking of signing up for the 2013 Wiggle Dragon Ride, heard you have to get your entry in early on the 1st November if you want a chance of getting an entry?

The route looks challenging, but doesn't worry me from what I've seen on the website/elevation charts.

Considering the Medio Fondo or Gran Fondo at the moment.

Anyone on here do the 2012 Dragon Ride? Or thinking about signing up for the 2013 route?

Comments

• I did the gran fondo this year, loved it going back for a better time next year. just going to pay a visit to the website now........
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Signing up for '13 and did the '12 Gran Fondo.

131 miles of hard work. Thankfully the last 15-20 miles are downhill. Incredibly well organised. Great feed stations, Fantastic climbs and descents and some of the most beautiful views.
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • Mind you, on the final run in I could,ve cried when I saw the 5k marker, I thought I was there. :cry:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    Mind you, on the final run in I could,ve cried when I saw the 5k marker, I thought I was there. :cry:

So you think I'll be able to manage to Gran Fondo, or should I be conservative and just do the Medio Fondo for now?

Currently my longest ride is 43 miles, but this'll increase to 50, 55, 60, 65 and 70 in the coming weeks, and I'll sustain this level throughout the winter.
  • BlakeysFC wrote:
    Mind you, on the final run in I could,ve cried when I saw the 5k marker, I thought I was there. :cry:

So you think I'll be able to manage to Gran Fondo, or should I be conservative and just do the Medio Fondo for now?

Currently my longest ride is 43 miles, but this'll increase to 50, 55, 60, 65 and 70 in the coming weeks, and I'll sustain this level throughout the winter.

Yeah, as long as you keep the miles up you will be fine come june next year. I rode a compact crank for the first time this year and it worked a treat, 50/34 on the front and 11-25 on the back. I stick by the rule of eat before I'm hungry and drink before I'm thirsty on long sportives, especially the hilly climby ones like the dragonride. I never rode over 80 miles in one go up to the sportive, just put in some good miles as a pose to longer empty miles. I only felt bad as I thought I was there at the 5k point as my garmin batery gave up at hour 7 :oops:
  • Did the Gran Fondo last year & was easily on a par with the Fred Whitton for me in all respects. Just brilliant in every way. I will be signing up again for sure!!!
  • BlakeysFC
    Did the Gran Fondo last year & was easily on a par with the Fred Whitton for me in all respects. Just brilliant in every way. I will be signing up again for sure!!!

So is the Fred Whitton infamous for being extremely tough/the toughest Sportive in Britain?

And this is on a par with that?!

May have to reconsider now... :shock:
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    BlakeysFC wrote:
    Did the Gran Fondo last year & was easily on a par with the Fred Whitton for me in all respects. Just brilliant in every way. I will be signing up again for sure!!!

So is the Fred Whitton infamous for being extremely tough/the toughest Sportive in Britain?

And this is on a par with that?!

May have to reconsider now... :shock:

I haven't done the Fred Whitton but from what I've heard it's not as long as the Dragon Gran Fondo but has steeper climbs. I'm also planning to go back to beat my Dragon time in 2013, if my knees hold out.
  • I wouldn't say one was better than the other, both brilliant. ManOfKent is right, The Fred has steeper, more brutal climbs that go on, and on, and on. The climbs on the Dragon are more steady climbs, but not as soul destroying. The Fred is 112 miles long & 3,950 metres of climbing, The Dragon is 128 miles with 3,350 metres of climbing. Both are a huge test of fitness & determination, but massively rewarding & satisfying when you finish. I cannot say one is better than the other, they are both very hard & bring different challenges. The winds in the Lakes can be gale force & the descents are pretty hairy so presents a good test of bike handling ability.

Both events were brilliantly organised, best feed ststions i have seen & grwat post race facilities.
  • Does sound very tempting, but then I go onto the Wiggle Dragon Ride website and see 'UCI Golden Bike' emblazoned at the top of the homepage :roll:
    While I'd love to do the event, in light of Pat McQuaid's breathtaking hypocrisy (condemning the 'scumbags' while simultaneously bullying Kimmage) :x, I cannot abide supporting the UCI in any way, shape, fashion or form now. Am I alone on this?
  • Does sound very tempting, but then I go onto the Wiggle Dragon Ride website and see 'UCI Golden Bike' emblazoned at the top of the homepage :roll:
    While I'd love to do the event, in light of Pat McQuaid's breathtaking hypocrisy (condemning the 'scumbags' while simultaneously bullying Kimmage) :x, I cannot abide supporting the UCI in any way, shape, fashion or form now. Am I alone on this?

Pretty much I reckon. Lots of amatuer riders out altogether riding the hills of S Wales, whats not to like. Corruption in large corporations where large amounts of money is involved is now endemic. Did you stop watching the Olympics ? I didn't and I reckon there has been decades of doping, bribery and backhanders there. Human nature is flawed but I think if it makes me feel good riding my bike for a small amount of money to be involved in a big event, so be it. Cycling panacea IMHO. :D
  • Fair point - I watched (and largely enjoyed) the 2012 Olympics, and the Olympics is never going to be a shining example of moral rectitude. I reckon I'll sign up, or I can't make the Dragon, then the Etape Cymru.
  • Fair point - I watched (and largely enjoyed) the 2012 Olympics, and the Olympics is never going to be a shining example of moral rectitude. I reckon I'll sign up, or I can't make the Dragon, then the Etape Cymru.

Cool.
  • Rode this years Grand Fondo. First mountain sportive and certainly the hardest bike ride I have ever done. Did an 8hrs 37 and finished 442nd and got a bronze in my age group (48). Entering '13 and training to get a silver time (Sub 7' 50"). Brilliant route and great rider support, with the exception of over chlorinated water at the last fuel stop.
  • BlakeysFC
    Only 6 days until Entry's open for this now.

Still can't decide between the Medio and Gran Fondo...everytime I think 'F**k it I can do the Gran Fondo' I always look at the extra climbing and extra 50 miles and think a safer bet would be the Medio...hmmm decisions decisions
  • Go for the Gran Fondo. You know you want to! Plenty of time to train for it. If you enter the Mefio & find that it wasn't as hard as you thought you might regret not going for the Gran. It is a tough course but most people are able to spin up the climbs at least.

DO IT!!
  • I did the Gran Fondo this year, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well organised. Long, and plenty of climbing but I actually finished fresher than some 100 mile sportives I've done. For me the essential thing was discipline with my pacing - being careful not to overdo it on the early climbs.

One complete bugger was Devil's Elbow. Most of us were out of the saddle for most of it. My buddy Lionel (who's tough as nails and generally stronger than me) said it was the hardest thing he'd ever done.

Devil's Elbow is around 4:35 onwards in this great youtube video by one of the riders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mistr-ajLoE. I especially like (well, not, actually) the chap in the high-viz jacket just toppling off. Not sure whether he hit a hole or was just going too slowly.

Apart from Devil's Elbow, most of the climbs are just long, and not particularly steep. I ride around the Hampshire/West Sussex area, and found the general 'lumpiness' of the Dragon was less than an equivalent length ride around home.

Given a decent training program - regular 50 milers leading up to, say 70-80 milers - it's a good ride! As long as the weather's OK, of course.

* Edit forgot to say the view near the top of Devil's Elbow made it worth it! Also the descents were awesome...
  • BlakeysFC
    I did the Gran Fondo this year, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well organised. Long, and plenty of climbing but I actually finished fresher than some 100 mile sportives I've done. For me the essential thing was discipline with my pacing - being careful not to overdo it on the early climbs.

One complete bugger was Devil's Elbow. Most of us were out of the saddle for most of it. My buddy Lionel (who's tough as nails and generally stronger than me) said it was the hardest thing he'd ever done.

Devil's Elbow is around 4:35 onwards in this great youtube video by one of the riders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mistr-ajLoE. I especially like (well, not, actually) the chap in the high-viz jacket just toppling off. Not sure whether he hit a hole or was just going too slowly.

Apart from Devil's Elbow, most of the climbs are just long, and not particularly steep. I ride around the Hampshire/West Sussex area, and found the general 'lumpiness' of the Dragon was less than an equivalent length ride around home.

Given a decent training program - regular 50 milers leading up to, say 70-80 milers - it's a good ride! As long as the weather's OK, of course.

* Edit forgot to say the view near the top of Devil's Elbow made it worth it! Also the descents were awesome...

Wow that video is amazing! David's Elbow definitely looks one hell of a climb that's for sure.

Loved the bit where he was descending at 47mph, amazing stuff, and looked tremendous fun!

Think I'm gonna go for the Gran Fondo now after seeing that, the scenery looks absolutely breathtaking, always wanted to ride in Wales and think this is the one to do. Was thinking of doing the Etape Cymru aswell, but will now probably do just this one to save on costs.
  • So, I bring you news.

1. Entry is £45. For that you get to enter the ballot.

2. But, if you want to definitely have a place it's £55.

I'm out
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • BlakeysFC
    So, I bring you news.

I'm out

Thanks for the info, seems a strange way of doing things to say the least.

If I leave it until 12am-1pm tomorrow, will I still get a place, or will I need to get up at bang on 9am?
  • Who knows mate. I could check my crystal ball but to be on the safe side just get on as early as you can. Last years sold out pretty quick, as in a few hours!
  • Ouch that is a massive increase from previous years and for what reason ? £33 I think I paid last year . Count me out as well.
  • What happened to previous years riders getting priority
    Cost to on side for a minute
    Ballot = risk that my mates who i do this event with (or I) will miss out

Not a fan of the change, i'll do Tour of Wessex instead i think
  • Can anyone shed any light on what costs have increased to justify whacking a (min) third on the entry price? And then an offensive extra tenner to guarantee a slot...?

This is a bl00dy bike ride on open roads...!

Consider me and my groupies out of this one.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    "Ballot Entries will close on Friday 30th November"

So if you do pay your £45 there's no real hurry - anytime in November gives you an equal chance of a place I suppose.
  • I agree £55 is too much money, but people will pay it. I will think about it but the Evans King Of The Downs ride is the weekend before & that was a great course last year. Cheaper too.
  • Ankles50 wrote:
    What happened to previous years riders getting priority
    Cost to on side for a minute
    Ballot = risk that my mates who i do this event with (or I) will miss out

Not a fan of the change, i'll do Tour of Wessex instead i think
  • Ignore above. Phone gremlins
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I don't ride Sportives, but if I and a group of friends did this every year and the ballot introduced a level of risk for one member of the group being unsuccessful, then he could just turn up and ride, as long as he didn't use the feedstops? Wouldn't bother me, especially if he tried to enter but couldn't.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,297
    So, I bring you news.

I'm out

Absolutely ****ing extortionate for a bike ride. If anyone is that desperate to ride a sportive in Wales you should be able to enter the Iron Mountain / Tour of the Black Mountain double header for about the same price. Hopefully they will see a drop off in numbers and learn the hard way but as others say enough people will pay the money.
This discussion has been closed.