Cycling Alp D'Huez next summer - anyone interested?

Have been thinking about this for a while, and really want to do some cycling in the Alps next Summer. I particularly am keen on cycling up Alp D'Huez, but would want to fit in more rides when I'm there.

I regularly commute into work (20 mile return trip) but don't have any Sportive or significant climbing experience, so I recognise that I'd have to put the training in - this should help give me a goal to aim for. I'm not aiming to do the climbs in super fast time, just want to get round.

I've been asking my mates whether they would be interested in joining me, and while I had some interest originally, they are all wimping out. I wanted to know if anyone else was thinking about doing something similar next summer, and wanted to join in.

In terms of timing, I was originally thinking of coinciding my trip to the Alps with the Tour, but looking at prices/availability it looks like that might be a bit tricky, and so it may have to be another Summer week.

If anyone is interested give me a shout.

Comments

• DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    Where are you located/ Does summer mean school hols or can it include september ( which is a good month for alps cycling)
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Bourg is a great base for more than just the Alpe, but of course that will be top of anyones list! Briancon is not far away either for another great base, as well as my favourite Le Grand Bornand.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • DaveMoss wrote:
    Where are you located/ Does summer mean school hols or can it include september ( which is a good month for alps cycling)

I'm based in London. I haven't got any fixed plans in terms of timing, so either June or Sep could be possible.
  • I might well be up for June, how long are you thinking of going for?
  • I might well be up for June, how long are you thinking of going for?

I was thinking of staying in the area for 4-5 nights; with other commitments not sure I can do a whole week away. Should be plenty of time to do a few good rides.
  • Glad to hear that, I was thinking of a few days rather than a week.

Don't know if it is ok weather-wise but early June would probably suit me.
  • Glad to hear that, I was thinking of a few days rather than a week.

Don't know if it is ok weather-wise but early June would probably suit me.

OK, June is good for me too. Any preference for particular weeks in June? Once we have a date we can start looking into prices etc.
  • gavinbay
    gavinbay Posts: 144
    You might find this page interesting http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co ... cling.html each year they shut various cols to cars in the morning, so you can end up riding many of the famous cols in the area.

Plus you'll see on the above link the ride up to Alpe D'Huez and then carrying on over the Col de Sarenne which rumour has it will be used in next years Tour.

If you can, then go June early July when prices are lower due to it not being high season, that said the whole place is "bonkers" with bikes in High Season.

Hopefully I'll have my apartment in Serre Chevalier by then, completion date is mid March, and I might well be offering accommodation to cyclists plus "guiding advice" on routes etc :)

Been going out to that part of the world in the winter for well over ten years, the last four years five weeks in the March / April which is still good for skiing as well as biking :)
  • I think Dutch week 2013 starts on Monday June 10th so unless you're into orange, crowds and hearing Dutch accents then it's best avoided. I was there for this years gathering and it's quite a spectacle but accommodation is very difficult to come by, most hotels will only want a booking for the whole week.

So either the week before or the week after I would say, preferably the week before in my opinion.

La Cascade Hotel looks interesting and is conveniently located, I think it is www.la-cascade.com or there are the usual suspects, Kingofthemountains and the other whose name escapes me.

What are you thinking of travel wise, train, fly or drive and take your own bike or hire in Bourg?
  • I'm initially thinking of flying down to Grenoble. I'd like to take my own bike as I'm worried I might have difficulty getting a bike out there that fits me right (I'm about 5ft 5) although I'm worried about getting the bike damaged and don't want to fork out £250+ for a bike travel box.

I would consider taking the train, if costs don't prove prohibitive.

Unfortunately I don't drive (and the missus won't be coming) so driving isn't an option for me.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I'm up for it. If someone else has an estate car with a rack then that's 4 people and their bikes sorted - could be cheaper than flights/plane etc
  • Plane or train both require a travel box/bag and both mean a bus ride from Grenoble to Bourg.

Maximum convenience would be by car but I don't have an estate, though I can get myself there without any problem.

Personally, travel type doesn't bother me. By hook or by crook I will get there.
  • rodgers73
    Hire a car in UK?
  • I'm happy to hire a car in the UK. Had a quick look at prices and for a decent sized (Passat) estate car for 5 days, and total cost is £350. It would probably be the most convenient way of getting there if we are taking our own bikes.

I can't drive, so won't be able to help with the driving though.
  • So what's the situation regarding who's going and when then?

I can do first week of June so if others can accommodate that, then count me in.
  • I need to double check a couple of things, but first week in June should be OK. I'm in.
  • rodgers73
    Sadly I cant make it.

On the plus side the reason is my wife is now pregnant and the baby is due in June next year :-)
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Sadly I cant make it.

On the plus side the reason is my wife is now pregnant and the baby is due in June next year :-)

And you cant go why?

Important opportunity to establish the ground rules for the future.
    Your part of the procedure is over now, leave it up to the gynie, midwife and the NHS, they're the professionals. You'll only get in the way.

Good luck anyway.
  • Right, it looks like there's only 2 people in so far. I'm still up for it. Wheeledwidewebb - are you still keen? Do you think we should see if we can get a bigger group together, or know anyone who may be interested in joining us?
  • I'm in, no probs.

I'll ask around to see if anyone I know is also interested and I'll PM you in the near future with some contact details.
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    I'd be up for it.

I'm spending some time in that region for the 2013 Tour De France, and plan to ride up the Alpe D'Huez dependent on time.
  • Hi
    Could be very interested depending on when others can or want to go! I know of a group of 13'ish going from Fleet area early July on a diy basis.

The Dutch holidays do indeed start June but the regions have staggered start dates and run into July.

Live around Woking Guildford area and would be happy/prefer to meet for a ride and find out what people expectations are :D
    Decent hotel and half board please.......

Any contact please PM as I will be able pick these up far easier.

Steven
    Viner Magnifica
    Fondreist TF3 1.2
    Cervelo P3
    Aeron
    Viner Icarus
  • Hi,

Hopefully your trip planning is going well? If you're not yet sorted out you might like to have a look at our site http://www.colconquerors.com

We are based close to the Col du Galibier and make weekly visits to Alpe d'Huez along with the Glandon, Madeleine, Croix de Fer, Mollard, L'Iseran to name but a few.

If you need any help with planning even if you end up not staying with us let me know.

info@colconquerors.com

Cheers

Rob
  • Just seen your post.
    First week of June would be ok for me.If you're thinking of driving to Bourg d'Oisans how about hiring an MPV which will accomodate 4/5 people plus bikes with ease.Fuel cost about £150.Motorway Tolls approx £100.
    Plus of course cost of rental.
    Where do you plan to stay? Campsite or hotel (Hotels in Bourg not great quality)
  • mallinov
    mallinov Posts: 143
    Check you can take the hire car out of the UK first. I work in the business and mmost won't let you and those that do will certainly charge a premium to do so.
  • Have been thinking about this for a while, and really want to do some cycling in the Alps next Summer. I particularly am keen on cycling up Alp D'Huez, but would want to fit in more rides when I'm there.

I regularly commute into work (20 mile return trip) but don't have any Sportive or significant climbing experience, so I recognise that I'd have to put the training in - this should help give me a goal to aim for. I'm not aiming to do the climbs in super fast time, just want to get round.

I've been asking my mates whether they would be interested in joining me, and while I had some interest originally, they are all wimping out. I wanted to know if anyone else was thinking about doing something similar next summer, and wanted to join in.

In terms of timing, I was originally thinking of coinciding my trip to the Alps with the Tour, but looking at prices/availability it looks like that might be a bit tricky, and so it may have to be another Summer week.

If anyone is interested give me a shout.

Yes, it is an iconic climb in the Tour de France and overall still a challening one... however, among all the climbs in the French alps it is certainly the ugliest, which reaches an ugly ski resort on an ugly mountain and it's facing south... on a sunny day in July the heat can crucify you along those hairpins.
    There are other, less glamorous climbs in the area which are by far more enjoyable... some of them have been featured in the Tour de France too... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    agreed with the above - its not a great climb to actually ride and not worth it at the top, but its iconic status of course makes it a mecca to go and ride - took me there a few weeks ago.

If you are getting a group together then look at Hotel Edelweiss up in La Grave. Its about 15km away from Bourg but if you have a car anyway then you can drive to Bourg if you dont fancy the ride back up at the end. Friendly and helpful people, bike workshop with tools etc and lovely food. They also have apartments which might suit a bunch of people staying together.

http://www.hotel-edelweiss.com/index.html
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • As an alternative to hiring in the UK and paying a premium to take a car out of the country why not take the ferry to Calais and hire a car from there? This has the advantage of driving a left hand drive car through France and avoids the £120 or so for a week's return ticket for the car on the ferry
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    I've just booked up to go see the Tour for the first time next year.

Staying in Pertuis for the first 4 nights and seeing stages 15, 16 and 17, then travelling upto Annecy for stages 18,19 and 20 and then possibly stopping off in Paris on the way back home to see the final stage (Versailles to Champs-Elysees).

For Stage 15 (Givors to Mont Ventoux) and Stage 18 (Gap to Alp D'Huez) I'm planning on claiming a patch up the mountain before the peloton goes up the two mountains, will I need to camp out overnight or will getting there in the very early morning 4/5am be enough to secure me a decent-ish spot?
  • Hi Guys

I know I started this thread, but I'm going to have to pull out - I've just found out my wife's pregnant and due in June!
    Good luck to those who are still keen on going.

Thanks