anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

ben11
ben11 Posts: 103
edited October 2012 in MTB general
First off sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Would this be ok? obviously full on energy drinks would be a nightmare to clean out but the tablets get very watered down so shouldn't be too much of an issue? I rinse mine out after every ride anyway, but i don't want to risk ruining it.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Stick what you want in so long as it's not hot, I put Zeros in mine, also in my North Face and water bottles without any issues.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • I have done in the past. Washed out with sterilising tablets.
    Worked fine.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Have done it before for races etc without any issues. I prefer to dissolve them first, then tip them in.

It's only the same as all those SIS powders and all that other guff. Just so long as it's not left sitting about for weeks it'll be fine.
  • Rinse out when finished, put the bladder in the freezer till next time, no problems!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • I've put all kinds of crap in my camelback..zero tablets, caffeine tablets lucozade never had any probs, and tbh cant remember the last time i even washed it out, and I'm not dead so don't worry about it
  • Geezus im missing out on stuff here. I never use the right drinks and s**t. I get a lucozade sport and a bottle of water and thats me ready for a 50mile run.
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    Geezus im missing out on stuff here. I never use the right drinks and s**t. I get a lucozade sport and a bottle of water and thats me ready for a 50mile run.

A lucozade sport cost 3-4 times as much as the tablets, and the most of the tablets have superior ingredients than lucozade also.

Tablets are a win - win situation, financailly and nutritionally in my book.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    I've put all kinds of crap in my camelback..zero tablets, caffeine tablets lucozade never had any probs, and tbh cant remember the last time i even washed it out, and I'm not dead so don't worry about it

this^
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Pretty much every ride tbh can't function without them

The caffeine tabs are top banana
  • Geezus im missing out on stuff here. I never use the right drinks and s**t. I get a lucozade sport and a bottle of water and thats me ready for a 50mile run.

1l of fluid for 50miles of riding?

Are you a camel?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    .blitz wrote:
    Pretty much every ride tbh can't function without them

The caffeine tabs are top banana
    The Extreme caffeine ones are mental!
    When you run out, the next ride without them you think there's something wrong with your legs!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ben11
    Thanks for the responses :)
  • If your missus has used your camelbak to hold 3L of Chardonnay at a festival and hasn't cleaned it out for ages it takes several runs/rides to get rid of the stale alcohol taste :oops:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Some tablets might lightly stain your bladder but as long as you rinse it out when finished, it won't cause any problems. I don't take any extra precautions with the tablets compared to water.
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    If your missus has used your camelbak to hold 3L of Chardonnay at a festival and hasn't cleaned it out for ages it takes several runs/rides to get rid of the stale alcohol taste :oops:
    :lol::lol:
    Nicolai CC
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    i used the sachet of high 5 stuff that came with MBUK a while ago, tasted funny for a few rides, but went away quickly...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Only water in the Camelbak. For bigger/longer rides I'll make a homemade isotonic drink and put it in the water bottle on the bike.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    Never put anything other than water in a camelback. 1) Nutrients encourage the growth of bacteria and fungi which won't kill you but will give you the runs about 4 or 5 days after the ride, which you will blame on something you ate, but it was actually your filthy camelback. 2) Most camelback bladders are not designed to deal with low pH (which most drinks have). Low pH can degrade the plastic causing it to become brittle or release chemicals used in its manufacture. Bidons are designed for sports drinks so put your sugar and caffiene in a bottle and your water in your camelback.

What utter utter horseshit.

My camelbak bladder is around 4 years old now, it's had allsorts in it, from water, to dilute juice, to tablet thingys, even a can of monster once. It's never given me the plague and has yet to show any signs of dissolving.

Heres a top tip for you, try cleaning it once in a while.

and Bidons? seriously? GTFO!
  • felix.london
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Never put anything other than water in a camelback. 1) Nutrients encourage the growth of bacteria and fungi which won't kill you but will give you the runs about 4 or 5 days after the ride, which you will blame on something you ate, but it was actually your filthy camelback. 2) Most camelback bladders are not designed to deal with low pH (which most drinks have). Low pH can degrade the plastic causing it to become brittle or release chemicals used in its manufacture. Bidons are designed for sports drinks so put your sugar and caffiene in a bottle and your water in your camelback.

What utter utter horseshit.

My camelbak bladder is around 4 years old now, it's had allsorts in it, from water, to dilute juice, to tablet thingys, even a can of monster once. It's never given me the plague and has yet to show any signs of dissolving.

Heres a top tip for you, try cleaning it once in a while.

and Bidons? seriously? GTFO!

Agreed. What a load of garbage! It's a hydration reservoir designed for sports use. It's no different to any other sports bottle'/container. Put what you want in it. Just rinse it out afterwards

Trek Session 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ^^^^ This + High5 covered potatoes

The tablets will be absolutely fine, High5 Source/SIS/Torq etc are far less pleasant, but I have often left my Camelbak half full of High5 Source for months on end, a quick swish with boiling water and it's fine, never caught owt. Certainly doesn't degrade the bladder either, total bollocks.

A friend doesn't even do that, regularly has mould growing on his mouthpiece, just argues 'its my mould', bit wrong, but works for him.
  • mikewoods
    mikewoods Posts: 135
    Agreed - I only just recently washed out my Hydrapak because I thought the black growths around the seal didint look very pleasant!

I dont think I've died yet!
  • felix.london
    Hmm, not sure about all this unpleasantness. I only put water in mine and still wash it out after each ride. Same with the bottle but that gets a proper hot water, washing up liquid wash or the dishwasher treatment.

Trek Session 8
  • njee20
    There are currently 6 water bottles in my car that I know of, all of which have just been left partially filled since I last used them, which in some cases is a months back. When I next need them I'll swill them out under the tap, maybe a quick scrub, then fill and use them. When they get really really mouldy I may throw the odd one out!
  • 1. Please cite your sources to prove that putting anything but water in my camelbak (as I've been doing for years) will kill me, make me ill, make me grow a 2nd head, give me aids or any of the other rediculous statements you've made about it.
    Also, if this is the case, and there is any REAL danger of harm, why is this not mentioned when you buy one? No warnings on any of the bladders I've ever bought.

Your whole argument sounds to me like one of those daily mail "stories" about how hotdogs will give you cancer.

2. Thanks, I'm well aware of what a bidon is, I'm also well aware that my main bike does not have bottle holder mounts, and even if it did, the fact the cap would be covered in allsorts of shlt after about 5min represents a much more realistic threat to my health than the inside of my camelbak. A bottle holds 750m of water, my camelbak holds 3l. Perfect for longer rides. Th bottle holder on the other bike is fine for shorter rides though. and I don't believe either one will kill me.

I'm glad you enjoy your roadbike, I quite like them too, hope to get another one soon. There are MANY people on here who have roadies, I prefer mountain bikes though. I wouldn't presume to tell you which one you'd find more fun, so please don't try and do the same.

And no, I can't name the polymer the bladder is made from, nor the plasticisers they add, just like I can't name any of the other plastics on any of my other drinks bottles, or the rubber the hoses in my car are made from, or the starting squad for the 1970 world cup team. Why? Because none of this information has any real-world application for me, other than making posts on internet forums showing everyone how clever I am.
  • ben11
    1. Please cite your sources to prove that putting anything but water in my camelbak (as I've been doing for years) will kill me, make me ill, make me grow a 2nd head, give me aids or any of the other rediculous statements you've made about it.
    Also, if this is the case, and there is any REAL danger of harm, why is this not mentioned when you buy one? No warnings on any of the bladders I've ever bought.

Your whole argument sounds to me like one of those daily mail "stories" about how hotdogs will give you cancer.

2. Thanks, I'm well aware of what a bidon is, I'm also well aware that my main bike does not have bottle holder mounts, and even if it did, the fact the cap would be covered in allsorts of shlt after about 5min represents a much more realistic threat to my health than the inside of my camelbak. A bottle holds 750m of water, my camelbak holds 3l. Perfect for longer rides. Th bottle holder on the other bike is fine for shorter rides though. and I don't believe either one will kill me.

I'm glad you enjoy your roadbike, I quite like them too, hope to get another one soon. There are MANY people on here who have roadies, I prefer mountain bikes though. I wouldn't presume to tell you which one you'd find more fun, so please don't try and do the same.

And no, I can't name the polymer the bladder is made from, nor the plasticisers they add, just like I can't name any of the other plastics on any of my other drinks bottles, or the rubber the hoses in my car are made from, or the starting squad for the 1970 world cup team. Why? Because none of this information has any real-world application for me, other than making posts on internet forums showing everyone how clever I am.

Brilliant
  • njee20
    2) You know those drink bottles that are specially designed to fit in a bidon holder? Well they're called bidons and have been for well over a hundred years now.

Wow, what a tool. Bidon is the French word for 'flask', and yes what they call water bottles. We aren't French, so call them 'water bottles', they go in a bottle cage. A bidon holder is an absurd term, either use the proper French term, or don't. I assume you also don your maillot to ride your vélo on the pavé? Which pneus, Pro3s or Ultremos?
    If you want a real thrill go get a decent roadbike point it down the biggest hill you can find and see if you can streamline your way to 100k's. My PB is 85 (need a bigger hill)

Wow, I'm really impressed that you can sound all cool with your really lame top speed. Get over yourself. :roll:
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Stick what you want in it, you'll always get the cotton wool types that go on about bacteria and all that nonsense! They clearly didn't play up the mountains as kids picking up all sorts of germs, and clearly ride around the puddles in case some bacteria flys up and lands on their face! Shock horror!!!
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    Cat I actually only claimed you would get the runs occasionally

Are you quite sure about that?
    cyd190468 wrote:
    The chemicals that leach out of plastics are colourless and tasteless and can cause long term kidney and liver damage

You went from telling us we'd get the runs from the bacteria in our camelbaks (I don't necessarily even agree with you on this by the way), to telling us our camelbaks were slowly poisoning us.

I have no doubt that there may be additives in plastics that are toxic, but not in the levels a normal human being is likely to ever encounter from drinking from a camelbak. There are all kinds of pathogens in every aspect of our lives. Most of them are accumulated in such tiny quantities though it's not a concern if you use common sense.

As for your lesson in French words in common usage in the English language, you just come across as a bit of a douche to be honest. There seems to be little point to what you're saying. We all know English is a bastardized mis-match of several languages, primarily Germanic. Just like we all know Australia is a colony of criminals ;)
  • njee20
    Hey njee what do you call those things that move your chain between different gears seeing as how your so against the use of french terms.

A mech. You can call it a dérailleur if you want, I don't. If you call it a mech I won't say 'that's not what they're called', which is exactly what you did with your slightly pathetic attempt at being pretentious!

I think it's interesting that "bidon holder" gets just 15,600 hits on Google, very much basic products from the leisure market, whilst "bottle cage" gets over 2,000,000. Who'd have thought the whole internet would get the name wrong!
    And Cat I actually only claimed you would get the runs occasionally, which I would prefer to avoid.

As said, no you didn't. And having lived and ridden in the UK, always used energy things in Camelbaks and never caught anything and thus actually being qualified to comment first hand on this, I am going to make a note that you a bit of an imbecile, and completely disregard everything you say herein.
  • felix.london
    :lol:

Trek Session 8