Roadracer Mudguards

2»

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,603
    Refitted mine yesterday, removing the wheels to do so, having stored the mudguards over the Summer in one piece. Easy job, about 10 minutes. Though they look flimsy they do a brilliant job. You've just got to remember not to stand the bike up on its back wheel when taking it into the house, or you'll snap off the extension piece on the rear mudguard. I speak from experience. D'oh.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Refitted mine yesterday, removing the wheels to do so, having stored the mudguards over the Summer in one piece.

Getting ahead of myself, I know :) but what's the best way to store them. The fitting video suggests that they can distort under applied pressure which can be a good thing to even them out, but a disaster if they distorted during the long hot summers that we are prone to. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I still think SKS Raceblade Longs are better. I found the Cruds to just bounce around all the time, especially on some of the country roads round here, whereas the SKS are really solid.

Just back from a ride today and I could not believe how wet the roads were...beautiful sunshine but soaking wet roads. Ended up underestimating my stopping capacity but still managed to admire the mudguards as I bounced off the front of a car at a roundabout. Ho hum :)
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    My effort. Still experiencing a slight rub on the rear mudguard near the FD which I need to sort out.

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Duffer65 wrote:
    My effort. Still experiencing a slight rub on the rear mudguard near the FD which I need to sort out.

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

It sounds wrong but lossen the big zip tie at the bottom near the BB, it tends to pull the guard in odd ways, if you loosen it it will float more and not rub
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    Cheers, I'll give it a go.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I've been out this morning, as others have said lovely sunshine but quite wet in places. The front still rattles a bit over rough ground. I think thats just the way they are though. Rear is spot on, I was really happy with how clean they kept the bike.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    edited October 2012
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Just back from a ride today and I could not believe how wet the roads were...beautiful sunshine but soaking wet roads.

Wow! You weren't kidding. Loads of water running off the hills and developing huge puddles - full of potholes, of course. :roll: Just as bad the deluge has washed a lot of the hedge trimmings into the road, so extra care needed to avoid the dreaded "p".

At one point my road was blocked by a swollen stream. I was trying to gauge the depth when a farmer said, "Don't bother" and offered me a lift. Sitting with the passenger's door open and holding up the front forks the water still came to over halfway up the front wheel! :shock: BTW, what's the deepest you can ford on a bike without being certain of coming off? Wet feet taken as read, of course. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    BTW, what's the deepest you can ford on a bike without being certain of coming off? Wet feet taken as read, of course. :)

Personally, I would avoid grinding water into bearings as most of them have dust seals rather than full on water seals. Hence, unless I fancied stripping/regreasing (or replacing) the bottom bracket then I would not be cycling through anything that deep. Same goes for wheels/hubs...and when it gets to the headset bearings then it is time to get your trunks on :)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    They might look flimsy but they are flexible, on my Tricross single I've got larger clearances and have had the front guard folded double against they tyre. I stopped, unfolded it and reattached the stays and rode off, 30 seconds max delay.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,603
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Getting ahead of myself, I know :) but what's the best way to store them.
    I think mine would be an unconventional approach - I rested them on a music stand, so the ends were hanging down, with the apex of the curve resting against the top part of the stand. (Rubbish description, and no photo, sorry.) I probably should have used the stand to put some studies on and done more trumpet practice.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Getting ahead of myself, I know :) but what's the best way to store them.
    I think mine would be an unconventional approach - I rested them on a music stand, so the ends were hanging down, with the apex of the curve resting against the top part of the stand. (Rubbish description, and no photo, sorry.) I probably should have used the stand to put some studies on and done more trumpet practice.

You're just blowing your own trumpet about finding a storage solution :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.