Roadracer Mudguards

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I haven't sorted out a winter bike so I've invested in a set of Roadracer mudguards as a stopgap.

I hadn't appreciated that these come in several sections, and according to the video on the Crud web site, are assembled on the bike with lots of fiddling about with tiny bolts and sticky strips. Is it possible to assemble them on the kitchen table and then fit them to the bike? Also, at the end of the bad weather :) :roll: do they have to be dismantled on the bike, or can they be removed intact? Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I too have bought some CRRMk2s and was wondering the same thing. However, looking at this video it doesn't seem like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrB6DRk2 ... re=related

I think there's going to be some effing 'n' blinding in my house tonight!
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    they can be removed intact.

i leave the mounts on all year on the training bike then just put the gaurds back on :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Indeed - they do come off intact. However, I tend to leave them on all year round - it rains all year round. Seemingly endlessly!

As far as assembling them goes - you probably can do it on the kitchen table but you might want to do it in situ. Particularly if clearances are tight, it may be easier to get each piece sorted out one at a time. I doubt that the kitchen table approach would help much anyway.

The fronts can go on with the wheel on but you'd need to go wheel off for the rear.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Duffer65
    I might try the kitchen table approach, just to really wind myself up!
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • tiredofwhiners
    tiredofwhiners Posts: 598
    edited October 2012
    they can be removed intact.

One some bikes with some models. I have yet to find a way to remove a CR2 set off a Tarmac Pro as the rear lower section near the chainring is way too big to come out in one piece. I always find its easier to fit them with the wheels off anyway as any time taken to get the wheel off is easily saved by the easier access to the forks and dropouts etc.

I also found that its not possible to slide the front mudguard over the wheel to the right position due to the small bolt holding the front section to the rear as the bolt sticks out in front of the forks so has to be added on afterwards. Still not a big issue though and I am sure there are plenty of bikes with much bigger clearances.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Rolf F wrote:
    Indeed - they do come off intact. However, I tend to leave them on all year round - it rains all year round. Seemingly endlessly!

In London in feb it rains on 19 days on average
    In London in june it rains on 18 days on average

Never understood why mudguards are relevant in one and not the other.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Duffer65 wrote:
    They're actually not that difficult or fiddly to fit as long as you just take your time... you mght be pleasantly surprised at how stress free the process is?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Think I'll call into the lbs on the way home tomorrow and get a set, I've read countless reviews and they seem worth a shot.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Follow The Instructions and you won't go far wrong.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Duffer65
    DesWeller wrote:

"Follow The Instructions"? Pah! The very idea! :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Duffer65 wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

"Follow The Instructions"? Pah! The very idea! :lol:

No, be fair, there is a small possibility that a girl might read this thread! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Peddle Up!
    DesWeller wrote:

RTFM - the last refuge of a scoundrel. :D
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    fgaffney wrote:
    Duffer65 wrote:
    They're actually not that difficult or fiddly to fit as long as you just take your time... you mght be pleasantly surprised at how stress free the process is?
    TBF I swore a lot during the fitting process of a pair of MK2 Roadracers :lol:

I'm a man, I didn't need the manual of course :lol::lol:
  • Duffer65
    I was going to fit them last night but got distracted. But I need to fit them before the weekend so I may report back with an amusing, or otherwise, anecdote on their fitting.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Just don't do the zip ties up too tight (especially the big one down by the bottom bracket) so they can settle into a position themselves where they don't rub, they do this on the first ride from experience.
  • andy46
    I've just bought some and have just finished fitting them. About 2 hours in total and I've got no rubbing after a bit of trial and error so I hope it stays that way :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Duffer65
    andy46 wrote:
    I've just bought some and have just finished fitting them. About 2 hours in total and I've got no rubbing after a bit of trial and error so I hope it stays that way :D

+1 :x :oops: :shock: :):lol:
  • andy46
    Thought I'd share the days handywork :lol: they don't look too bad in my opinion.

Crudroadracers001.jpg
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Sanjay
    Sanjay Posts: 108
    I've sworn by Roadracers for a couple of years now but sadly I dont have enough clearance to fit them on the rear of my new Canyon.

Could anyone recommend and alternative which is as light as possible?
  • Duffer65
    andy46 wrote:
    Thought I'd share the days handywork :lol: they don't look too bad in my opinion.

Crudroadracers001.jpg

Nice work! You should feel rightly proud of yourself, as do I, for completing a fairly simple task. Our ancestors discovered fire and invented the wheel. We managed to put some flimsy bits of plastic on our bikes without starting WW3 :D
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I've been using them for the last couple of years, they do a good job and for mudguards, they look good ...
  • andy46
    Duffer65 :lol:

I've just said in another thread, been out tonight to test them out and had a rattle on the front guard where the tip was hitting the tyre when on rougher ground.

Hopefully I've cured this by simply pulling the cable tie a little tighter. I will not rest until they are totally silent :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    andy46 wrote:
    Duffer65 I will not rest until they are totally silent :lol:

Prepare to be entirely unrested :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Duffer65
    andy46 wrote:
    Duffer65 :lol:

I've just said in another thread, been out tonight to test them out and had a rattle on the front guard where the tip was hitting the tyre when on rougher ground.

Hopefully I've cured this by simply pulling the cable tie a little tighter. I will not rest until they are totally silent :lol:

Hmmm, I'm yet to test mine out (but will tonight) the front appears stable enough although the rear seems to have potential to wobble about and make some noise! We'll see...
  • Peddle Up!
    Well I started the thread, so I feel obliged to report on progress. Here they are, fitted in around 40 minutes with the aid of the Crud video tutorial (the instructions in the box are a bit sparse).

Very pleased with the result. A good fit with no rubbing, and as a bous they match the bike. :)

I especially like the extra protection given to the BB region which normally takes a muddy pounding at this time of year.

Throughout the fitting I had a feeling of déjà vu which I couldn't place until I imagined the smell of polystyrene cement. If only I'd painted the pilot before I stuck him in the cockpit. :roll:

20121005_140636.jpg

20121005_140644.jpg

20121005_140650.jpg

20121005_140656.jpg
  • Duffer65
    Another success :D
  • I'm gonna order mine today.....
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'm gonna order mine today.....

Best price is Parkers, £21.50, though Evans will match this.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Fitted mine last night, took about 40 mins using the instructions and picture on the front of the box! Well chuffed with the result they look great and no rubbing so far! My SKS commuter guards shattered one day going over a bump which also gave me a pinch puncture. I like that these guards aren't really bolted into place so they are free to float a bit. Going to give them a full road test tomorrow I hope! Will report back later.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!