Books

2»

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    clelanj wrote:
    Just finished Sky's the limit tonight - some interesting bits but overall very long winded. Also read How I won the yellow jumper by Ned Boulting which again seemed to lack any real spark.

I am fairly new to cycling and yet to find a book on the sport that grips me like the sport itself has. David Millers book seems to be the one that everyone is talking about so will probably give that a read.

I have not read Millers yet, as I am a bit doped out when it comes to reading. I have just finished the one about Pantani. Will do though, at some point.

The most inspirational ones, for me so far, are Tomorrow We Ride by Jean Bobet and Fallen Angel about Fausto Coppi by Fotheringham. Also Slaying the Badger is excellent.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Just in case anyone's interested...

launch_v2_A4.jpg

The ebook's already available here. Paperback from Look Mum No Hands! (but it should be on Amazon from around mid-December).
  • I'm awaiting the arrival of Need for the bike by Paul Fournel.
    I've heard great things about it.
  • Quite enjoying Put Me Back On My Bike - William Fotheringham's biography of Tom Simpson.
    Just finished that, after reading TS's autobiog, Cycling is My Life.

Interesting to compare the perspectives.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    On a much lighter note, Mud Sweat and Gears, a Land's end to John O'Groats trip
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,978
    Half man, half bike (Eddy Merckx) by William Fotheringham... I thought an excellent read.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • I would recommend "Sean Kelly A Man For All Seasons", mind you, it is virtually impossible to find online. Have come across it on ebay on £132!!!!!!! Mind you, someone has a copy up on ebay now as well..........maybe Christmas might come early!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAN-KELLY-A- ... 2c6a348282
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    AndyPkr wrote:
    If there's one book every cyclist should read, it's The Rider by Tim Krabbé. Just like knowing the basic skill of how to fix a puncture, this should be mandatory reading for every cyclist. I'm ashamed to admit that it's taken me this long to read it. I've never read anything that captures the essence of the pleasure, the suffering and the insanity of a bike race so perfectly.
    I can't get on with the writing style in this book, I've got almost half way and I've given up.

I've got a brand new copy that I don't want - I'll post it (UK only) to the first person to reply here and send me their address via PM. Just give a few quid to charity when you receive it.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I'll take it if no one else has got there first.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    lc1981 wrote:
    I'll take it if no one else has got there first.
    NP, I'll post it Monday. I hope you enjoy it more than I did.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Gizmodo wrote:
    AndyPkr wrote:
    If there's one book every cyclist should read, it's The Rider by Tim Krabbé. Just like knowing the basic skill of how to fix a puncture, this should be mandatory reading for every cyclist. I'm ashamed to admit that it's taken me this long to read it. I've never read anything that captures the essence of the pleasure, the suffering and the insanity of a bike race so perfectly.
    I can't get on with the writing style in this book, I've got almost half way and I've given up.

I've got a brand new copy that I don't want - I'll post it (UK only) to the first person to reply here and send me their address via PM. Just give a few quid to charity when you receive it.

You need to check that your bike is deffo a road bike.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire