Books

AdrianStuart
AdrianStuart Posts: 140
edited December 2012 in Road general
Can anyone reccomend any good cycling books. Autobiography preferably

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    David Millar's Racing Through the Dark is very good, as is William Fotheringham's Merckx: Half Man, Half Bike.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    lc1981 wrote:
    David Millar's Racing Through the Dark is very good, as is William Fotheringham's Merckx: Half Man, Half Bike.

I enjoyed Racing Through the Dark.. thought it was brilliant.

Also just read Ned Boulting's How I won the Yellow Jumper which was interesting too.
  • +1 for Racing Through the Dark by David Millar
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Autobiographies:-

Lauren Fignon
    David Millar
    Tyler Hamilton
    Lance Armstrong
    Bernard Hinault

Biographies:-

Marco Pantani (Rendell)
    Robert Millar (Moore)
    Sean Kelly (Walsh)
    Fausto Coppi (Fotheringham)

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • Lance Armstrongs first one is good.
    Bradley wiggins one is good.
    Mark cavendishs one is good, although he seemed so in love and now has a model girlfriend and a baby, not sure what happened there.

I am going to buy racing through the dark when the price drops on Kindle : )
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    markps wrote:

Just bought that myself, not started it yet...

Laurent Fignon's bio is worth a read.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    DOnt mean to sound smart etc, but there's a million threads on cycling books here - they come up every couple of weeks - see if the search function is of any use.

There's loads of brilliant cycling books out there... i'd start with Slaying the Badger - my personal fave, followed by We Were Young... by Fignon
  • AndyPkr
    AndyPkr Posts: 20
    If there's one book every cyclist should read, it's The Rider by Tim Krabbé. Just like knowing the basic skill of how to fix a puncture, this should be mandatory reading for every cyclist. I'm ashamed to admit that it's taken me this long to read it. I've never read anything that captures the essence of the pleasure, the suffering and the insanity of a bike race so perfectly.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    off topic but on amazon for about ten quid is the 50 best european climbs. i bought it as thought that might be nice, its a beautiful book even if you dont plan to ride any and a much bigger book then i thought it would be with some beautiful photography. well worth a look or a coffee table book. Bio i though the cav one was good. Fave bike book though is all about the bike by robert penn very funny.

this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-High-E ... 168&sr=8-1
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    AndyPkr wrote:
    If there's one book every cyclist should read, it's The Rider by Tim Krabbé. Just like knowing the basic skill of how to fix a puncture, this should be mandatory reading for every cyclist. I'm ashamed to admit that it's taken me this long to read it. I've never read anything that captures the essence of the pleasure, the suffering and the insanity of a bike race so perfectly.

Looks interesting.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    AndyPkr wrote:
    +1 for The Rider

It is a brilliant book - beautifully written, cleverly observed, a stand-alone piece of literature
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    markps wrote:

Terrific book.
  • I've just come back from a book talk by Richard Moore where he was talking about his book "Sky's the Limit". I haven't read the book yet but he obviously knows his stuff and had some close contact with the team and Dave Brailsford while he was writing it. He was entertaining as well, which bodes well for the book.

I'm looking forward to reading it.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Another vote for David Millar's Racing Through the Dark, a great read.
    Currently reading Mark Cavendish, boy racer which is pretty good too
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    All of the above and How I Won The Yellow Jumper by Ned Boulting. I've just finished A Dog In A Hat by Joe Parkin which was pretty good.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • AndyPkr wrote:

I am having trouble putting this one down :)
    Thanks for the head's up
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    edited October 2012
    Another thumbs up for David Millar and Laurence Fignon's autobiographies, and Chris Hoy's is also good although it doesn't involve the last few years since Beijing.

I'm a third of the way through 'In search of Robert Millar' which is pretty good so far. Man on the run is a good read.

Slaying the badger, half Mercx half bike, fallen angel and the secret race are all on the kindle lined up which should keep me busy for a while.
  • Defyand
    Defyand Posts: 49
    Dave Barter - Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder
    Made me chuckle anyway :D
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    For something on a lighter note, French Revolutions is a great read.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

• I'm a third of the way through 'In search of Robert Millar' which is pretty good so far. Man on the run is a good read.

Keep going to the end,I really enjoyed this book.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/ar ... st194.html

We did the Johnny Helms two up TT last Sunday, he is still going strong!! :wink:
  • xhacker
    xhacker Posts: 69
    Depends what you're into.
    Paul Kimmage - Rough Ride is an inside story of dreams and misery from a pretty unsuccessful cyclist in the eighties.
    It documents more than the 'omertà' it's famous for but the hardship of a young cyclist in a foreign country that's not doing well in the peloton. I found it, quite emotional when he realised his dreams were destroyed.

However, I do like Dave Barter's collection of blogs (just read) Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder. A story of an everyday man with a cycling obsession!

I was advised by Will Fotheringham to buy Stephen Roache's Born to Ride but haven't as yet!

Your choice!
  • Enjoyed both 'Fallen Angel' and David Miller's autobiography. Have a few more to get through over the winter including 'Tomorrow, we ride', 'The Rider' and 'The Escape Artist'.

I have held off on Kimmage's book, too many friends I know have decribed it as a book written by a man who didn't train enough and was p*ssed he was crap. I might give that one a miss.
  • xhacker
    xhacker Posts: 69
    [/quote]I have held off on Kimmage's book, too many friends I know have decribed it as a book written by a man who didn't train enough and was p*ssed he was crap. I might give that one a miss.[/quote]

I can't think I've heard a worse description of this book! Were your friends training alongside him?

I think he was more pissed about having to become a cheat just to survive!

In light of what's happening right now, may I suggest you do a quick search on Kimmage and find out who he really is?

He is a man who stands up to bullies for what he believes in. You may not like him but must have some admiration for him, surely?
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Quite enjoying Put Me Back On My Bike - William Fotheringham's biography of Tom Simpson. Another vote for Millar's and Fignon's autobiographies as well as Rob Penn's book. Something else to consider is 'Pedalare, Pedalare' by John Foot. It's an enjoyable history of Italian cycling that features some of the main protagonists from Italian cycling history.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • clelanj
    clelanj Posts: 68
    Just finished Sky's the limit tonight - some interesting bits but overall very long winded. Also read How I won the yellow jumper by Ned Boulting which again seemed to lack any real spark.

I am fairly new to cycling and yet to find a book on the sport that grips me like the sport itself has. David Millers book seems to be the one that everyone is talking about so will probably give that a read.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    For something on a lighter note, French Revolutions is a great read.

Really enjoyed this book. Some very funny bits. Highly recommended.