Another 'what bike should I buy' thread

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Three days ago, I knew nothing at all, but now I know what 'LBS' stands for. I figure at this rate of progress I'll be an expert in a week....

...ok, so the truth is a little different. I'm completely bewildered by the array of bikes, clothes and gear out there, and I just feel too confused to buy anything.

I have a hybrid on loan at the moment, but I think I'm heading towards a road bike, with a view to getting fit, losing weight, and maybe taking part in sportives.

I have a fabulous OH, who has offered to buy me a bike as a 50th b'day present (two months away :cry: ), and it appears I have a budget of about £750-1000, which I may be able to top up a bit for clothes and stuff.

So far I'm looking at a Specialized Allez Elite (2013 - £900), highly recommended by LBS-1, and either a Cannondale Synapse 2012 (£850 I think), or a Fuji of some kind (also 2012 and about £850), as suggested by LBS-2, who have also offered me some test rides which LBS-1 didn't mention.

So I'm leaning towards LBS-2, since they didn't seem to be pushing one brand quite so hard, and also said that a test ride was essential which seems very sensible to me. They do also stock Specialized, so if the Allez Elite is a good choice, I could get it there I think.

Based on my other interests (computers, cameras), I'm the type that gets quite fussy quite quickly, as soon as I acquire a little knowledge, so I'm guessing that I need to look a little beyond entry level. Based on my reading so far, it appears that aluminium frame, carbon fork, Tiagra groupset (that's another word I learned yesterday) is about par for the course for my price range, but other than that I have pretty much no idea.

So I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions, reviews, pointers, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance, apols for the rambling post!!
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    There might be some ideas in this article. The Giant Defy 1 sounds good value given that is has a 105 groupset - one level up from Tiagra.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Even though I haven't been around for that long, you pick up some stuff quickly :)

Specialized - well thought of
    Cannondale - well thought of
    Fuji - haven't heard anything about them

If LBS 2 is offering test rides, go for it. Test as many as you can. Consider Trek and Giant if the shop does them too, but otherwise you are right to be looking for alloy frame, carbon fork and Shimano Tiagra / SRAM Apex. That combination will get you a good bike that will be more than capable of doing what you want.

Don't forget the clothing and other stuff you'll need to get, £800 for the bike and £200 extra should sort that lot out.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Don't fret about groupset: you won't notice the difference. It's worthwhile getting a 10 speed (i.e. Tiagra in Shimano) rather than a 9 speed (i.e. Sora in Shimano) as if nothing else there's more choice of cassettes and some people don't like the Sora shifters, but that's about it. If you really get into this and are inclined to throw money about, you'll probably want to buy a fancy carbon fibre bike with fancy wheels; the first bike will depreciate if you had in mind to sell, and won't be worth making major upgrades to.

With that in mind, personally I think that you'd be better off buying a £700 bike than a £900 bike, unless you've got 'separate funds' available to buy clothing and tools (etc). There isn't £200 of difference between the two either way.

If your aim is to get fit and participate in sportive events however, you might want to consider a bike aimed at this area of cycling; there seem to be quite a few available of late. Aesthetically racey but with a higher rider position, provision for larger tyres and mudguards, and sometimes a rear rack.

In a nutshell, go and try some bikes, and pick the one that feels most comfortable, from handling to gear shifting action. Make sure the shop advise you and fit you to the bike. Best of luck! :)
  • lc1981
    Also, you should ask for a test ride wherever you choose to buy. It should be something that all shops offer.
  • Indeed; you can't buy a bike purely based on any number of recommendations. Beggars can't be choosers, and you can't expect a bike that's so good that it could have been custom made for you if it wasn't, but nevertheless taking a short ride should tell you if the bike is right for you.

With that said though, I would stress the bike fitting point: We're all different sizes, and it might be that the bike doesn't come with the ideal stem size, for example. Something that the shop might be able to alert you to.
  • Ask your local bike shop what they can offer you with Campagnollo groupset on it. If they can't you have to snear at them then storm out.
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    Hi Chris,

I was exactly where you are 2 week ago, although my budget was only £600.

I am 43 and had not ridden a bike for 7 years, and in the end I got a £599 2012 bike for only £399 from those cuddly monkeys at wiggle :lol:

First things first, make sure you take your time choosing the right bike, and do NOT be rushed/pressured into buying anything by salesmen etc...!

As for buying a bike, then the most important thing I can say is for your first bike is look for comfort, comfort, and comfort.

Anyone who owns, or like me, has ridden the Synapse, will tell you it is a very comfortable bike, and that is what I would have bought if I had more money :wink:

Also, always look for a bike with Carbon forks, as they not only make the bike a little lighter, they act like "shock" absorbers which increases your comfort and handling etc.

I started riding my bargain american GT road bike almost every day last week, and I got a very sore backside. so the MOST important bit of kit for beginners like us, after a well fitting helmet of course :wink: , would be a "decent" quality pair of padded shorts/bib.

I learned the hard way this week, due to running out of cash :oops: I bought a cheap pair of padded cycling shorts from sportsdirect, but the pad is useless. I also bought a pair of "winter" long legged padded shorts from Aldi, much better but still not enough padding, but will be great to wear over a decent padded bib/shorts.

So this week I have bitten the bullet and have splashed out on these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-veloci ... hort-2012/

They have the excellent "kiss3" pad so hopefully my sit bones wont be sore anymore on long rides :P

Anyways, welcome to the addiction with no known cure which is "road bikes" they are so much fun and will get you fit and in shape in no time.

And gratz on having such a generous wife, you lucky sod :lol:

All the best,

Jay.
  • lc1981
    jay197 wrote:
    I am 43 and had not ridden a bike for 7 years, and in the end I got a £599 2012 bike for only £399 from those cuddly monkeys at wiggle :lol:

There are some bargains out there at the moment. See here for a few. The only problem with buying online is not being able to try the bike out first.
  • Ok, many thanks for the responses so far, guys... I have a couple more questions.

Does anyone have any experience buying bikes second hand? There are a few 1-2 year old Specialized Allez Elites on eBay at the moment - they seem to go for about £500 which suggests I could get a lot more bike for my money (well, my OH's money :) ).

Obviously it wouldn't have that 'new bike' feeling but that aside, how much of a risk would I be taking in terms of lack of warranty, or worse, non-obvious wear or cracks that as a rookie I probably wouldn't notice?

The other thing is, helmets. I'm riding a hybrid at the moment, without helmet, which is possibly a bit silly. I'm only riding on a relatively safe route (round Richmond Park as my own personal TT route), but I guess I ought to get the helment ASAP.

Again, there's a bewildering selection, and some of the prices seem mental. My understanding is that there's not much to choose between them in terms of actual protection, so what would be a good compromise between price, comfort, weight, cooling, and not looking like a complete muppet?
  • jay197
    I really cant see much difference in road bike helmets, I bought a large adult one for £14.99.

Would be interesting to see what you are paying for exactly in a more expensive helmet?
  • jay197 wrote:
    I really cant see much difference in road bike helmets, I bought a large adult one for £14.99.

Would be interesting to see what you are paying for exactly in a more expensive helmet?
    My thoughts exactly. I've tried a few on, and some definitely do seem more comfortable (and lighter) than others.

I've never worn a helmet on a bike (when I was riding regularly they didn't exist!!) so I have no idea how they feel in use. But I can imagine them getting hot and sweaty on a long ride.

One I tried felt quite snug - but it was £70 :shock: :(
  • lc1981
    I can't say that I'm that experienced, not having owned many helmets over the years, but one thing I notice from observing the people I ride with is that some seem to have much better vents than others. I've got a Giro Indicator, which was by no means expensive, but it seems well ventilated and I rarely get too hot in it. I've seen others than have a large, solid, unventilated back, which I always think must be really uncomfortable. Whether this correlates with price, I don't know.
  • More expensive helmets are often lighter, better fitting and more ventilated. There are some good ones out there that don't cost much, though.

I didn't bother with a helmet until August of this year (just a cycling cap prior); I bought a Kask K-10, which is fairly fancy but it really shows in the quality. Really fantastic fit that produces a glove-like hold very quickly and easily, it's light and very aerated; definite sensation of wind being channeled over the head, which is nice in the heat.

Regarding secondhand bikes, it IS a gamble to a certain extent, but use your judgment. Some people would replace a secondhand carbon fork on principle if they can't be sure about what crashes it has or hasn't been involved in. Fair point; they can fail very suddenly and without conspicuous signs of fatigue, but there's no hard-and-fast rule.
  • Kask K-10
    :shock:

Can't find one of those in stock for less than £130!

However, the spending spree has commenced. I have now bought (well, ordered) a Giro Indicator - having found the review here saying how good they are, and discovering that I could order one through Amazon for £24, I went down to Halfords and tried it on.

Not as comfy as no helmet at all, but at least at that price I won't feel too bad about changing later if I need to.

I did ask the assistant in Halfords what bike I should buy, and rapidly discovered that it's like asking what camera to buy in Jessops - pointless.
  • soslow
    soslow Posts: 46
    Hi Dont know if this will help you but
    Have an Elite as a second bike/winter trainer and is a very comfortable ride. the wheels and tyres seem to suck some performance from it but as a first bike its very good. saddle is ok as well and ive not changed mine.

My first bike was a fuji newest 2 on triple sora and i clocked up thousands of miles on it before she was stolen. Saddle and wheels were shoot but a relativley inexpensive upgrade. if you can get one with tiagra 10 speed cheap its worth considering

Dont worry about bieng fussy as if the bug bites you will want something better every time you think you can persuade OH you need it
  • Mikey41
    edited October 2012
    I've never worn a helmet on a bike (when I was riding regularly they didn't exist!!) so I have no idea how they feel in use. But I can imagine them getting hot and sweaty on a long ride.
    Depends on the helmet. I have a Specialized MTB one at present, really must change it to a road one, but while riding along, I can barely feel it and my head stays cool.

When you stop however.....

Still, I'll always wear a helmet on the basis that if the worst happens, it's better than nothing.

Oh, one more thing. If you are bald, put sunblock on your head when riding on a sunny day to avoid some "interesting" sunburn patterns.. :oops:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Kask K-10
    :shock:

Can't find one of those in stock for less than £130!

However, the spending spree has commenced. I have now bought (well, ordered) a Giro Indicator - having found the review here saying how good they are, and discovering that I could order one through Amazon for £24, I went down to Halfords and tried it on.

Not as comfy as no helmet at all, but at least at that price I won't feel too bad about changing later if I need to.

I did ask the assistant in Halfords what bike I should buy, and rapidly discovered that it's like asking what camera to buy in Jessops - pointless.

I got mine for about £65. Half price at Chain Reaction. ;)
  • I got mine for about £65. Half price at Chain Reaction. ;)
    Yes, I'm just too late for that one - it's discontinued AFAICT.
  • lc1981
    Mikey41 wrote:
    Oh, one more thing. If you are bald, put sunblock on your head when riding on a sunny day to avoid some "interesting" sunburn patterns.. :oops:

Or get a cap to wear under the helmet.
  • Thought I'd stop by and post an update - I had a very exciting day yesterday since I had two test rides. This was my first time ever on a modern road bike...

I went to Evans Cycles in Kingston, and they had a Fuji Roubaix 2.0 2012, and a Cannondale Synapse 6, also 2012.

I took the Fuji out first - I was a bit tentative initially but soon figured out how to use the STi shifters (what a revelation!!), and rode around the streets for about 15 minutes or so. It felt Ok, and I didn't fall off, but it left me feeling that I had yet to make friends with it.

Then came the Cannnondale - and for reasons I can't really figure out, within two minutes it felt like I'd been riding it for weeks. Somehow it felt much more positive, more comfortable, and easier to ride. The brakes were much more effective than the Fuji. I took it up to Richmond Park where I've been riding a lot recently, and did a quick half loop. I breezed up the hill that has frequently been my nemesis on the hybrid, and just had a blast.

Now, here's a question - what, if anything can I glean from this experience (other than the fact that I now want a bike, and I want it now!! :) )?

Since I have so little experience to go on, I'm unsure of how to interpret the different rides. Can anyone shed any light? Sorry I've been so vague, but I simply don't know how to articulate the differences I felt.

However, from the review of the Fuji here, it's perhaps encouraging that my experience seems consistent.

Thoughts?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you like the Dale and it fits get it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    If you like the Dale and it fits get it.
    Well yes, I'm very tempted :)

I still need to try a Giant Defy 1 or 2, and a Specialized Allez Elite.

I guess I'm a bit surprised that a rookie like myself can tell the difference between bikes - I didn't realise they could be so marked.
  • jay197
    I would say go for the Cannondale if seemed more comfortable etc as it could be the geometry of that particular suits you better.

Definitely put it on your short list Chris, and don't forget to save some money for a decent pair or "clip in" cycling shoes and a nice pair of padded shorts etc.

Regards,

Jay.
  • Test rode two bikes today... a Giant Defy 1 (2013), and a Giant Defy Composite 3 (2012), which was reduced just about enough to leave the budget (£750-1000) only moderately bashed, if not completely obliterated.

I rode the one with the carbon frame first, and then the one with the aluminium frame.

Mostly they felt pretty similar, in terms of riding position, but the Composite felt noticeably more precise. Somehow I felt as if it went exactly where I pointed it, with less effort than the Defy 1 required.

So I'm now wondering, should I be getting a bike with a carbon frame? In reality, I'm unlikely to buy another bike for a very long time. So should I be beg/borrow/stealing enough to up the ante here?

Thing is, I'm a total n00b, so part of me is saying, who am I to imagine I can tell the difference. But then the other part of me is saying, I do learn fast, trust your instincts.

Any thoughts? Sorry to ramble on like this and be so indecisive - but I figure I need as much information as possible to make the right decision.

Many thanks again - I do appreciate you guys' willingness to answer what must be similar questions to the ones you've heard a million times before.
  • It really depends on your riding, your budget and your 'acquisition method' (for want of a better term!)

I.e. it has to be said that a beginner buying a carbon fibre bike is like a 17 year old getting a Ferrari from daddy after they pass their test. You don't 'need' it. The vast majority of cyclists will never be 'too good' for a bike; that is to say, so powerful that a 'basic' bike is demonstrably holding them back and marginal gains will not only make a meaningful difference, but that difference will outweight any discrepancies between performances.

But then we have budget; why shouldn't you have as much bike as you can afford? The vast majority of us never 'need' more than a £400 bike from Halfords. The main constraint I would identify here is prudent allocation of your funds. If I had £1000 to spend on a bike (assuming that I had no pressing need for other kit at the time), I would not buy an aluminium bike; instead I would wait until I had £300-500 more, and buy a basic spec carbon fibre bike which would be more worth upgrading over time, or build something myself. This leads to 'acquisition method'; I'm not a 'seller'. I buy things and keep them. Those people that buy and sell constantly would likely take a different direction. Were I to buy a bike to sell though, I still wouldn't buy a £900-1000 alloy bike, for the simple reason that there isn't £200 of difference between a £900 Specialized and a £700 Specialized. Both will depreciate. That may or may not concern you.

It's a thorny issue, but I should point out that aluminium and carbon bikes are not bikes to grow old with like the steel steeds of the recent past (and present). Aluminium is prone to fatigue (hence you should change crash damaged handlebars, for example). Usage (frequency and intensity thereof), tubing thickness and sheer chance are all factors. Some ascribe a service life to aluminium bikes; I've read that Cannondale have specified as low as 3-4 years use. Granted, that's really heavy use, and the number is a fudge number to stop them being sued, but it's worth noting. Neither carbon fibre nor aluminium repair very well or cost effectively; certainly not nearly as much so as steel. Potential premature failure is really NOT something that should affect your bike choice, but nevertheless I don't think it wise to buy such a bike with a longtermist view. Buy it because you like it now.

In a nutshell, you need not feel that you are making a bad choice with any of those bikes. Go for the one that makes you happiest. What you get for your money these days would have been unthinkable in the recent past. The only reason that I could have for dissuading you from buying the bike you like best is if you haven't reserved funds for the paraphernalia that you'll need to cycle.
  • clelanj
    clelanj Posts: 68
    I was just like you last month, researching nigh after night. I am a similar age with the same interests.

In the end I went for the entry level Specialized Secteur at £670 as I wanted good road bike that still offers comfort (after all I'm no Wiggo). I did agonise over the triple / compact question - compacts appear to be classed as sexier but in the end I opted for the triple as I am not getting any younger and hadn't been on a bike in a long time so the so called 'granny ring' will help on the big hills. I did get JE James in Chesterfield to price up converting to a compact in the future should I want to which came to £260 (wouldnt break the bank). That said, now I have it I am really not sure if I see the point.

I have to say I love the bike so far and have not suffered at all, even after my first 20 miler last week

Do not as others have said under estimate the importance of a good pair of padded shorts. I didn't want Lycra (just personal taste) but was able to get a great pair of baggy shorts for £64. They really seem to do the job,

If you liked the Allez I think you 'll love the Secteur. Good luck - John
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I am one for test rides, so much better than buying blind off the net or mail order, cos every model of bike these days is going to feel different. Sounds to me like the Cannondale is ideal for you, if you loved it and you can see yourself loving it a year from now, then imo go for it!
  • clelanj wrote:
    If you liked the Allez I think you 'll love the Secteur. Good luck - John
    Thanks!

I had a test ride on an Allez Elite and a Secteur Elite today. Liked them both very much, though I preferred the slightly more positive control and harder ride of the Allez.

I think I have a short list of three:

Allez Elite (2013)
    Giant Defy Composite 3 (2012)
    Cannondale Synapse 5 (2012)

All Tiagra.

Grateful for any thoughts that will help me narrow it down further.
  • soslow
    soslow Posts: 46
    cannodale gets my vote
  • Mikey41
    I think I have a short list of three:

Allez Elite (2013)
    Giant Defy Composite 3 (2012)
    Cannondale Synapse 5 (2012)

All Tiagra.

Grateful for any thoughts that will help me narrow it down further.
    Was there one that you felt more at home on?
    Was there one that you felt you could ride on all day?
    That's the one to buy, even if it's the cheapest one :)

You've three good bikes to choose from there, it could just come down to which is most comfortable.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava