TAC-X virtual - more than just a novelty?

Donkeywings
Donkeywings Posts: 79
I'm looking at buying rollers/turbo for the garage, and am also considering a second-hand TAC-X with the virtual trainer software. Looking for opinions from anyone who has one.

Do the ride DVDs and virtual race software make the training more interesting, or does the novelty wear off pretty quickly? I might be able to get an old 46" plasma screen from work and have a spare laptop, so the ride dvds could be pretty huge.

But even a second hand TACX with the roller and steerer is going to be around £400, and another £100 to upgrade to the v3 software. Don't know if this is a waste of money, or it will make peddlling in the garage a bit more interetsing?

cheers!
Trek Madone 3.1 Carbon 2012 Road
Sunn Kern S1 2011 MTB
"Mellow Johnny's" water bottle from Lance's shop in Austin

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    You can get a new Tacx vortex for 369 euros from Germany. Add on a garmin ANT+ stick and the s/w and you are good to go.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • I've got one and I love it. It keeps indoor riding just interesting enough to be bearable.

You will need a pc with a decent spec, especially video memory.

Check out the Tacx forums at www.tacxvr.com
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 make sure the laptop's graphics card / memory will drive the TV.

We tried watching HD iPlayer content via the laptop through an HD TV and it was very laggy and the sound wasn't synced very well