Americans...

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    lc1981 wrote:
    symo wrote:
    I would say though can we not use 'American' with that you are also covering the lovely Canadians and Brazilians who also live in the America's.

What we are talking about is residents of the U.S.. One of my Brazilian friends gets really annoyed when he sees things about American behaviour.

The problem is, what's the demonym for someone from the US if it's not "American"? A "USian"?

Yank is, I believe, the only polite one.
  • Septic Tank is much better, but if any one uses the word American I always think of the US never South America or Canada.
  • How could you confuse Americans with Canadians? Canadians are weird, for starters.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • How could you confuse Americans with Canadians? Canadians are weird, for starters.

I was in a sports shop in San Diego a couple of years ago and the sales assistant behind the counter asked if I prefered Fosters or 4X, WTF!!! this c'nt thinks I'm Australian, a normal issue in the states, so I asked him if he prefered Labbatts or Molson and then ran out of the shop before he could shoot me.
  • Did I spell weird wrong? If so, must be Canadian.
    Me and a buddy toured there a long time ago, and everyone assumed we were from New Zealand (wtf). Strangest place ever.
    BUT...cool place. Just watch out for the locals (Grizzlies, not Canadians)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • lc1981 wrote:
    The problem is, what's the demonym for someone from the US if it's not "American"? A "USian"?

A USer?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    symo wrote:
    I would say though can we not use 'American' with that you are also covering the lovely Canadians and Brazilians who also live in the America's.

Yes, but the main difference between Canada and the US is that the chocolate is better in Canada :wink:

I've been to New York/New England, Colorado, Oregon, Washington State plus British Columbia and Alberta. Virtually everyone I've met has been really nice and friendly and often extremely keen to help. I'm not sure about them en masse but as individuals they tend to come off better than the average Brit (in my less than statistically valid experience).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Rolf F wrote:
    symo wrote:

Yes, but the main difference between Canada and the US is that the chocolate is better in Canada :wink:

I've been to New York/New England, Colorado, Oregon, Washington State plus British Columbia and Alberta. Virtually everyone I've met has been really nice and friendly and often extremely keen to help. I'm not sure about them en masse but as individuals they tend to come off better than the average Brit (in my less than statistically valid experience).
    Simple analogy.
    A lot of people base their opinion of "Americans" on two things. Their celebrities and their tourists.
    Do our celebrities and tourists stand up any better?
    OT, add a third. Sports fans. Again, do ours stand up any better? With the provisio stated earlier that the rowdy fans at the golf are likely not to be golfers unlike here.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Rowdy sports fans? Only in a football(soccer) stadium will you witness the sight of thousands of people chant(with remarkable co-ordinatation) obsceneties.American sports fans have the higher moral ground on this one.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I used to despise them but now I find them just a bit special needsy. Australians wind me up more than Americans.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Spoke to a bloke who'd moved out to the US when he retired (Seattle), lived there for 15 years. He found the Americans to be nice people but very very local in their outlook and quite unconcerned with foreign or even national affairs. Maybe this insularity means they are a little less aware of how daft it is to shout things like "f*ck you, Seve" but I'm not sure - probably just a few pissed up idiots trying to be funny. Same as you'd get at a British sporting event where idiots are drinking.