Il Lombardia *spoiler*

123457»

Comments

• Great to see J Rod taking a Monument. Deserves a good win to add to the Palmares after that season.

Rain/coverage spoiled the race for the viewer though. I'd recorded it on Sky+ but lost patience and skipped to the end.

Expecting big things from Frenchie re finish line photos.

Also suprising how often an 'obvious' PTP pick gets overlooked....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    2nd most dangerous race behind Roubaix.

Probably, though any race that involved going downhill in those conditions would have been dangerous.

Those conditions happen a lot in late September early October.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Expecting big things from Frenchie re finish line photos.
    Whilst waiting for FF, ....

8036537534_89123b6751.jpg

8036537616_921cec0522.jpg

Boyish joy!

• Those conditions happen a lot in late September early October.

And May.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Frenchfighter eat your heart out.

tumblr_mb4cwwgJJQ1qacyk6o1_500.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for Purito. In some ways his career reminds me of Cadel Evans, in that it's taken quite a long time for him to really hit the heights that he's capable of. I'd love to see him win a GT before he retires, he was closer this year than I ever thought he'd be. He must be kicking himself that he lost to Contador, despite actually being the best climber in the race.

And a Brucie bonus (courtesy of Jered Gruber):

8036202244_e7ab244ab2_c.jpg
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    And a Brucie bonus (courtesy of Jered Gruber):

8036202244_e7ab244ab2_c.jpg

What a fantastic photo!!!
  • That Gruber shot is bloody marvellous.

54 finishers

Gilbert:
    So nice crash for me! I think a 9,5 on 10 then i was ko with the cold. 6 guys from bmc crashed today....the must important nothing broken!

A3-Mh4xCMAA8Jo6.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tumblr_mb5t5rtYlY1ropreyo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mb5ukqbYgH1ropreyo1_500.jpg

Surprised Gilbert didn't continue. Wasn't long on the floor, didn't break anything and is a hard rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Top comments once again.

“I was extremely happy, this is the kind of race you dream about winning all your career. I crossed the line with the bottle in my hand because I always do it, this is a superstition gesture that I really like”.

“I don’t know if I’ve been the strongest rider this season, I’m definitely the one who scored more points but many others have been strong so far too”.

“I saw Alberto (Contador) in a great condition at the Worlds and at the Milan-Turin but maybe after a day like today he was a little bit tired. The more strong riders there are in a race the happier I am that I am winning. The victory in Il Lombardia for me it’s a glorious achievement. I don’t like rainy days because racing is more dangerous, even if I’m pretty good when it rains”.

“I don’t know what will be my racing calendar in 2013, I’m very happy with my 2012 season but I’m waiting to see what the courses will be, starting from tomorrow at the Giro d’Italia presentation.”

“I think this season I’ve raced most of the races as leader of my team, but when I’m not at the top I’m very happy to help my teammates if they feel better than me. I believe this is pretty normal when you are member of a team.”

-

"This is the most important triumph of my whole career,"
    Contador is the Greatest
  • “With the cold, I was feeling a bit paralyzed and, at the beginning, I was afraid because I couldn't move for one or two minutes,” Gilbert said, describing his initial reaction. “I feared there was something broken. Then I checked and saw everything was okay.”

“I'm feeling lucky I crashed now and not one week ago,” he acknowledged, seeing the silver lining. “If it had been a stage race, I think I wouldn't have abandoned. But today, after the crash, my race was over.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    That Gruber shot is bloody marvellous.

54 finishers

Gilbert:
    So nice crash for me! I think a 9,5 on 10 then i was ko with the cold. 6 guys from bmc crashed today....the must important nothing broken!

A3-Mh4xCMAA8Jo6.jpg

Curse of the rainbow jersey!
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • 8037423161_7e8d3427b9_b.jpg
    055-to290912spo_0109.jpg?t=1349022193

tumblr_mb4spj8NHN1rc77m7o1_1280.jpg

270-to290912sp_040.jpg?t=1349023418

to290912sp_0661.jpg?t=1349023616
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I'm not always a fan of your mono/colour edits Frenchie (probably because I see a lot of that stuff at work), but I really like the one with the umbrellas.
  • Thanks Inky. I often do it just to make the subject stand out given there is often a lot of noise in cycling photos (esp with fans). Tbh the best photos require very little editing unless I want to mess about and have fun.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Unsurprisingly I guess, a new record was established on the Soramano
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Il Lombardia 2012 Results
    1 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) 6:36:27
    2 SANCHEZ GONZALEZ, Samuel (EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI) + 0:09
    3 URAN URAN, Rigoberto (SKY PROCYCLING)
    4 SANTAMBROGIO, Mauro (BMC RACING)
    5 HENAO MONTOYA, Sergio Luis (SKY PROCYCLING)
    6 HESJEDAL, Ryder (GARMIN-SHARP)
    7 MOLLEMA, Bauke (RABOBANK)
    8 ZAUGG, Oliver (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN)
    9 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (SAXO BANK-TINKOFF BANK)
    10 KESSIAKOFF, Fredrik Carl Wilhelm (ASTANA)
    11 QUINTANA ROJAS, Nairo Alexander (MOVISTAR)
    12 PELLIZOTTI, Franco (ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI)
    13 CUNEGO, Damiano (LAMPRE - ISD) + 0:35
    14 KOLOBNEV, Alexandr (KATUSHA) + 0:57
    15 CLARKE, Simon (ORICA - GREENEDGE)
    16 MARTIN, Daniel (GARMIN-SHARP) + 1:23
    17 VAN AVERMAET, Greg (BMC RACING) + 1:25
    18 PERAUD, Jean-Christophe (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
    19 RABOTTINI, Matteo (FARNESE VINI - SELLE ITALIA)
    20 DI LUCA, Danilo (ACQUA & SAPONE)

Just noticed that Nibali was 1.30 back.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I haven't had a chance to search around yet yet but wonder if there is coverage available on-line of the closing stages of the race that were not shown on live TV due to the weather preventing the TV helicopter picking up the feed from the bikes ? Do any of the mobile cameras have recording capability ?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • to290912sp_0661.jpg?t=1349023616

Shouldn't the other rider be in colour?
  • frenchfighter
    lombardie_2012_4.jpg?t=1349175645
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest