Il Lombardia *spoiler*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Why are the Italian monuments always on a Saturday?
    In Italy they play football on Sunday, not Saturday. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Why are the Italian monuments always on a Saturday?
    So they can go to confession on Sunday. :twisted:
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Sagan seems to be (relatively-speaking) a little off top form. Hardly surprising given that his year was built around peaking for the Tour - and given his age...

Shame about EBH...I thought his omission might be so that Uran and Henao are really given full backing to go for it...looking at the Sky site and the race roster up to Beijing, EBH isnt listed in any other races at present...

What was I saying about Lombardy?

Oh dear. I can see you're not going to let this one go so I won't go through it all again.

Suffice it to say that Lombardy is better than Milan - San Remo and anyone who doesn't agree is a girl who can't cycle.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    In Italy they play football on Sunday, not Saturday. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    That is what I meant earlier in the thread when I wrote
    knedlicky wrote:
    If on a Sunday, I might not go to the partita; I'd be in front of the telly.
    but I suppose not everyone here knows that 'partita' is the Italian word for what we call 'the match'.

On the other hand, I wasn't being entirely serious - not everyone is a fan of both sports.

But RRs on sundays in Italy would compete with other aspects of Italian life - it's the day for most traditional festivals, and for flea markets, the day when families come together to eat out (in summer, barbecues in accessible fields in the countryside; during winter in restaurants), and it's the day for the 'corso' - when one strolls slowly through the town centre, meeting friends, maybe hoping for a new encounter, and generally parading oneself off.
  • Nice weather on the Valico di Valcava (courtesy of @scintoluca)

A39KCJHCcAIR4SD.jpg
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Anyone know why eurosport are an hour of world champs highlights beforehand and only starting the lombardy covearge at 3pm?
  • Beat me to it Rich.

Also check out his clobber. May suffer if the rain is like the photo above.

phil+2.jpg

VS kit for today:
    vaca.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The contenders in this race are uber exciting attacking racers. Pure gold.

I hope it lives up to expectations.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Live at 1.30
    http://videochat.gazzetta.it/index_Giro ... ia01.shtml

Sormano:
    http://twitpic.com/aze8xr

130km done. Chaves, Sella and Losada have 4'34
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Looks like Gilbert opted for red BMC shorts.

A38j8GhCIAAZQLq.jpg
    A38nPIVCcAAKtje.jpg

A39VH6wCIAAxvAs.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • A38S0bjCMAAIazA.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Looking forward to seeing them struggle up the Sormano in the wet...

Oh, hang on, Eurosport are showing highlights of a race that happened a week ago instead.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2012
    Check out the conditions:
    3ff2fc2e0a2811e2aaa822000a1de2ba_7.jpg
    13e98a440a2811e2ab3b22000a1c00db_7.jpg

Just like the beast that was 2010. This has epic written all over it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Sormano is about 1.40 I think. Rai live at 1.30.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • e627f7d00a2711e28c8422000a1de7be_7.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Note that both Gilbert and Contador love the rain, it is their ally and they perform better in it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • More joined the break:

Bardet, Sella, Morabito, Locatelli, Chaves, Losada, Salerno, Slagter, Sorensen and Rocchetti
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Very stop start stream.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Same here.

Sporza one in the meantime:
    http://sports-livez.com/channel/ch-1.php
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Sporza Live streaming here for you all to try....no break ups on mine

http://sports-livez.com/channel/ch-5.php
  • Much better, thanks.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Garmin mean business. Only half a peloton left.
  • start of the drag up to the muro now
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2012
    Rat Face and Slagter (supposed super climber) dropped
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Just starting the climb and daughter wakes up from nap, perfect timing, especially when I can't just press pause.

Epic conditions, hope we get a race to match.
  • The descent on the Muro will be sketchy. Hope no accidents. Wonder if the bunch will decide to keep it cautious.
  • Just looking over the startlist and can't believe how packed with talent it is. It really is a pretty incredible lineup.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Just looking over the startlist and can't believe how packed with talent it is. It really is a pretty incredible lineup.

Though I wasn't in favour of them messing about with the calendar, I think its proximity to the WCs has helped with that.
  • Good pictures considering the conditions and location.
    Contador is the Greatest