Giving up the Marlboro lights....

13»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    msmancunia wrote:
    Crapola. One plate of spaghetti carbonara, three bottles of Pinot G and two mates later, I cracked.

Back on the patches tomorrow *weeps*
    Don't worry about it, I quit loads of times before I stopped. Sounds like a good night.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    msmancunia wrote:
    Crapola. One plate of spaghetti carbonara, three bottles of Pinot G and two mates later, I cracked.
    The woman has the stomach of a concrete elephant!

You're doing way better than me. I'm still on the Gauloises roll-ups. Or is that Galois ? Bleh.

Keep trying.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    jejv wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

You're doing way better than me. I'm still on the Gauloises roll-ups. Or is that Galois ? Bleh.

Keep trying.

What can I say - I was weak. (and I was hungry and a bit stressed). Still really cross with myself though. Can't even put a patch on until tomorrow morning as they give me such strange dreams and last night I dreamt that I murdered my next-door neighbour :oops:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    msmancunia wrote:
    jejv wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Keep trying.

What can I say - I was weak. (and I was hungry and a bit stressed). Still really cross with myself though. Can't even put a patch on until tomorrow morning as they give me such strange dreams and last night I dreamt that I murdered my next-door neighbour :oops:

Maybe it wasn't a dream. Have you seen your neighbour since the dream?
    Keep trying.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Relapses are fine.

I've quit, but when the kid is at his Nan's (once a month) i have a cheeky 1- 20. The trick is to become able to get off the wagon when you choose.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • paulg99
    paulg99 Posts: 55
    Yep, it's like falling off a bike.

You just need to get back on and keep pedalling.

Good luck.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,564
    MSM, don't beat yourself up over it. Start again. You will get there.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Relapses are fine.

I've quit, but when the kid is at his Nan's (once a month) i have a cheeky 1- 20. The trick is to become able to get off the wagon when you choose.

Clearly you haven't quit. Just less frequent.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    MSM, don't beat yourself up over it. Start again. You will get there.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Relapses are fine.

Clearly you haven't quit. Just less frequent.

It's Friday so what the hell - I agree with DDD.

I've quit, but I still have the occasional cig, once a month or so at the pub. I don't have any cravings, I don't keep any on me during the day or have a cheeky fag at lunch at work or before bed.

I'm the BSO owner of the smoking world - not a cyclist/smoker, just have been seen in the vicinity of something that looks similar to a bike/cigarette once in a blue moon.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I wish I could do that social smoking thing but I can't. Unfortunately it's all or nothing when it comes to me and smoking. Will have another crack at it. Well, after I've smoked the six I've got left....
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • msmancunia wrote:
    I wish I could do that social smoking thing but I can't. Unfortunately it's all or nothing when it comes to me and smoking. Will have another crack at it. Well, after I've smoked the six I've got left....
    Same here.

I think the government should just ban the damned things. Hell they've already made smokers stand out in the rain. Either allow it or ban it completely.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think the government should just ban the damned things. Hell they've already made smokers stand out in the rain. Either allow it or ban it completely.
    Yeah, coz that has worked so well with cannabis, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, speed etc.

People already smuggle cigarettes. Banning them will just put the price up but the government won't make any revenue from the illegal trade.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • msmancunia wrote:

Now there's the thing, why smoke the rest? You're not a smoker anymore, so why would you?
  • msmancunia wrote:

Yeah, very few people who were addicts can go back to that social smoking thing.

For me, I always found getting over the chemical addiction to be fairly easy. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't that great a trauma. Dieting is no easier. The worst bit is ignoring the little devil on your shoulder who tells you a few weeks later that you are no longer a smoker and can therefore go and buy a packet of ten without fear of taking up the habit again (I never could).

On my last, successful attempt I'd been clean for about four weeks when I convinced myself that it was ok for me to go buy a pack of 10, just to smoke one or two out of. Thankfully it was winter and in the time it took me to pull on all my gear, just as I opened the front door to head to the corner shop, something at the back of my mind said, "You actually don't need a cigarette, do you?" and I knew I was free. I've honestly never wanted one since.

It perhaps didn't affect me that time, but on previous, failed attempts, I went through a kind of bereavement once I'd quit. I saw cigarettes as a friend who I was saying goodbye to forever - we really had shared some lovely times together over the years. I just needed to get my head around the fact that they are actually pure evil: convincing me that I need them when in actual fact they were badly damaging my health, costing me a lot of money and making me stink.

My advice: if you really want to quit, man-up, go cold turkey, be proud of yourself for turning your life around, deal with the pretty trivial suffering and get it done. Otherwise, accept that you either don't actually want to quit (and perhaps look for reasons in your life as to why that should be the case) or that you're weak willed. :)

Good luck!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    msmancunia wrote:

Me too, I've socially smoked for 10 years now, and I have certainly cut down in the last 12 months, but I still smoke one or two on a night out.

I am very lucky in that I have never been addicted to it, but I think that must be in the genes my Dad started again after a 15 year relapse (divorce etc), then stopped dead with no help a few months later. Thing is, when he smoked he did it properly - 40 a day - I've never been able to go through them at that rate. Probably the most I've ever smoked in one day is 10 (which would have been all in a night out I bet).
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com