Giving up the Marlboro lights....

Comments

• twist83 wrote:

We have a VERY attractive girl in the office. All 4 blokes hear found her hot. However we found out she smokes and that just destroys it really...

Hope you manage to kick it though.

I read that as twist offering you one (or many) MsManc, once you've kicked it.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I am happy to do my bit so to speak!!! :twisted:
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    twist83 wrote:

We have a VERY attractive girl in the office. All 4 blokes hear found her hot. However we found out she smokes and that just destroys it really...

Maybe I do work in his office.... *looks sly*

I think I'm actually miles and miles away which is probably a good thing given my current deprived of fags status and subsequent short temper
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Stick with it - you won't regret it.
    I stopped about 23 years ago, when I went to bed I could feel the gunge on my chest 'flowing' up into my throat !!! horrible feeling - and cough ! Got really bad heartburn, so I thought I would just quit. Finished work on a Thursday afternoon, not due back until Monday night, so had a w/end to stop. I have never looked back since, not touched one nor could I. I think I would rather chop off my right arm than light up...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    dhope wrote:
    I always just stopped smoking rather than bothering with reading books or patches, gum etc. You're more of a man if you just go cold turkey, eh DDD?
    Nope, an addiction of any kind can be a near crippling thing. The most important thing is not how the person did it (stopped/quit) but the fact that they did it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    twist83 wrote:

if she smokes she pokes

everyone knows this right?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Before you give up completely, go out with a bang. Put on a patch, chew some gum and smoke an unfiltered ciggie at the same time... If you don't pass out it takes you outta this world baby....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,333
    msmancunia wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

I think I'm actually miles and miles away which is probably a good thing given my current deprived of fags status and subsequent short temper
    Tiny writing is hard to read, I thought she was saying she was deprived of something else. I thought if Twist is a tall City fan he could be in luck.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    mudcow007 wrote:
    if she smokes she pokes

everyone knows this right?

^This is now the funniest thing that I've read all week. The thread that keeps giving....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I’m in a weird state right now.

I don’t smoke in the morning – never have TBH,

I don’t smoke any more in the office (two years plus), and don’t find myself wanting one at all (which means that the physical addiction must be gone?)

I don’t smoke in the company of my daughter or my wife.

….but…. in the evening or on the weekend with a drink the urge is overpowering and I smoke. I go out to my workshop and light up.

Must need my head examining (or quit drinking too?).

Interesting side is that I don’t (and haven’t for a decade) smoke packet fags or heavily scented tobacco like Golden Virginia. I now find the smell of either of those quite nauseating. Only cigars or drier tobacco like Drum.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Decided to stop in March this year. Bought some Elites after seeing a friend with them. Didn't like them but smoked the 10 refills I bought. I gave up completely on April 14th.

I don't think about smoking now. I don't think I am fitter though, that was dissapointing. Or perhaps I just can't feel it, need to get back into TT's again and find out.

I'm so proud of giving up.
  • For about a year after I quit, I used to occasionally dream about smoking.
    I'd dream that I'd had a ciggie, feel really disgusted with myself - then wake, hugely relieved to realise I hadn't !

When tempted to have "just one last ciggie", I'd remember how upset I'd been in that dream - worked pretty well.
    Misguided Idealist
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I gave up smoking about 6 years ago - went on the nicotine tabs.

I have been on the nicotine tabs ever since - I take the equivalent of about 60 fags a day in nicotine in the tabs - man I am so addicted to nicotine. There is another guy in the office exactly the same as me - doesn't smoke - hates smoking - but totally addicted to the tablets :(

I am such a looser :)
  • Am back on the smokes after a second 6 month quit!

Giving up was easy, staying off them wasn't, and over confidence led me back the first time. The last time it made me feel miserable and I put on a stone in weight from wolfing down cakes so went back on them.

Am considering trying again, as I get seriously embarrassed (and get stupid looks) when I roll up on the bike, all kitted out, and buy a pack of nails at the local garage on my way in to work.

Also running out of air half way up on climbs is starting to become a big annoyance.

Good luck to the OP on quitting , you have got this far just keep going....and for god sake don't even try one or you will be back to square one.
  • For about a year after I quit, I used to occasionally dream about smoking.
    I'd dream that I'd had a ciggie, feel really disgusted with myself - then wake, hugely relieved to realise I hadn't !

I had exactly the same thing happen to me.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    jonomc4 wrote:

A looser what? Speller? :-)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mudcow007
    both of my parents smoked like troopers well at least 40+ a day

my pops was able just to stop like that, but my mum hasn't been able and is still smoking (20ish a day now i think)

both of them had/have been smoking since they were kids

my mum was telling me her dad caught her smoking with a mate so he made her smoke a full pack of woodbines to discourage her - i dont think it worked
  • twist83
    msmancunia wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

We have no dirty northerners down here in Shandy Land where I work. They get segregated ;)

I am not very tall (About 6 foot) and I think football is for over paid Fairy boys. So looks like I am not a candidate :(
  • mudcow007
    twist83 wrote:

We have no dirty northerners down here in Shandy Land where I work. They get segregated ;)

obviously you arn't cool enough to attract them down to your shire, or the more likely reason is there is nothing to steal there
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I was an occasional smoker at university and it took another 6 or 7 years to get to the point where I wasn't even smoking in the pub

something that has worked for people I know - decide on what you'll spend the money you save on, then get a picture of it stuck on the fridge, one in your purse, on desk at work, one stuck all over an empty fag packet etc, so that whenever you are thinking about fags you see the photo of your purpose for giving up
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • msmancunia
    edhornby wrote:
    I was an occasional smoker at university and it took another 6 or 7 years to get to the point where I wasn't even smoking in the pub

something that has worked for people I know - decide on what you'll spend the money you save on, then get a picture of it stuck on the fridge, one in your purse, on desk at work, one stuck all over an empty fag packet etc, so that whenever you are thinking about fags you see the photo of your purpose for giving up

Hmm that's not a bad idea. Man City season ticket maybe? :D

(in reality it will go into the money pit that is the house I inherited and am doing up - so will be scaffolding :roll: )
  • What better motivation than a picture of some scaffolding. :)

I'm another member of the 'I just quit' brigade. I'm more than a little bit stubborn, so there was no was some stupid cigarettes were going to make me smoke if I didn't want to.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,333
    davis wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

A looser what? Speller? :-)
    I was going to ask something similar, then ask if it helped his self esteem. I think perhaps we're all losers with humour like that.
  • twist83
    mudcow007 wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

obviously you arn't cool enough to attract them down to your shire, or the more likely reason is there is nothing to steal there

Depends if you have a penchant for cows, combines, stealing red diesel or sleeping with your siblings. My 3rd arm comes in useful from time to time though. As does Dr Lex's 3rd leg. He lives nearby!
  • Monday is looming as the day to give up ...... recommendations on sensible foodstuffs for the time where the cravings need over-riding by troughing vast quantities of food !!
    Spend most of my time at work in a car so that would need to be thrown in the mix for consideration.
    WELL DONE MsM on the work so far.
    Not overly looking forward to the coughing up half my lungs but the combo of N+1 & a promise to the future MrsVH requires some willpower to be exerted !!!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Teh fags are the most evil thing. For years I was in a cycle of give up for 4-5 months, get into a deep depression, start again, rinse, repeat. I could understand if it was something that gave you an immense buzz but tobacco ... Why is it so addictive?

One thing I would say, if you can get the doc to give you Champix then it really does work. For me anyway.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I used to smoke 20+ a day (read up to 60 a day if on an all day bender/24 hour shift etc) and I gave up cold turkey a little over five years ago but the 6 days in hospital recovering from a heart attack did indeed help a lot.

For about the first year I found it quite hard but never actually felt that I'd succumb to the temptation and I'm still clean now.

Even now I can still recognise certain brands of cigarette on smell alone.

What makes me keep off the fags is the smell. I work with the general public (though not directly in a smoking environment) as a bus driver and what do nearly all smokers do while they wait for the bus? When a smoker gets on it sometimes literally makes me feel sick.

I do have a great degree of sympathy for (certain*) smokers because I understand the addiction side etc but please, go and stand over there............

Keep it up mate. You'll get there in the end. Go for a ride every time you feel the urge. Come December you won't want to go out in the cold. Problem solved.
    *there's a kid at my little lads school whose parents can't afford to buy him uniform so he's constantly in trouble for such a thing, yet both his parents can somehow afford to smoke and each have an iphone. Work that one out.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I tried giving up smoking and masturbation but it was really difficult; I was a 20-a-day man and I smoke like a chimney :wink:

After many attempts at giving up smoking - just one last packet I'd always say - one day I just did it and stopped completely. Tried giving up the other thing - failed after about 8 days :oops:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    pastryboy wrote:
    I smoke like a chimney

Perhaps some sort of lube is in order?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • msmancunia
    Crapola. One plate of spaghetti carbonara, three bottles of Pinot G and two mates later, I cracked.

Back on the patches tomorrow *weeps*