North West is worst area to cycle!

2»

Comments

• I live in the North West and I love my cycling.I am within 2 miles of deserted country lanes and challenging 60+ milers take me to the even more deserted Trough of Bowland.
    The motorists are cool and fellow cyclists that I've come across are a nice bunch.

What's not to like?
  • I agree blackpoolkev..not been at it long..but met some nice cyclists..well they wave as hey fly past me over wyre heading to scorton! Cars are pretty good too keep their istance..but lots of cyclsts on my roads
  • + 2

Apart from the wind always in my face on my commute, It's a great area for cycling :D
  • Went out for a ride this morning at around 7:30, around Wrightington / Appley Bridge, saw 2 or 3 riders out. A few cars were out, but they all gave plenty of space.

Later on I popped over to Eccleston in the car (taking the dog to the groomer) and in the space of a 20 minute drive I must have seen 40 cyclists - again the cars that I saw were giving plenty of room.

I think this is two sides of the Wiggins effect - more cyclists out, perhaps hoping to encounter Bradley on his morning ride, and drivers are giving more space to riders in case they are a Tour and Olympic champion!

So, riding in the north west - around Ecclestone at least - is pretty good!
  • scazzer
    scazzer Posts: 254
    aclivity wrote:
    Went out for a ride this morning at around 7:30, around Wrightington / Appley Bridge, saw 2 or 3 riders out. A few cars were out, but they all gave plenty of space.

Later on I popped over to Eccleston in the car (taking the dog to the groomer) and in the space of a 20 minute drive I must have seen 40 cyclists - again the cars that I saw were giving plenty of room.

I think this is two sides of the Wiggins effect - more cyclists out, perhaps hoping to encounter Bradley on his morning ride, and drivers are giving more space to riders in case they are a Tour and Olympic champion!

So, riding in the north west - around Ecclestone at least - is pretty good!

Yeh there are alot more cyclists out over the weekend ,alot of club rides and folk who can only ride then due to work..

But have noticed that this summer ive not had any incident or nr miss at all,so maybe the message is getting across to alot of motorists but winter is on its way so will see if the trend continues :wink:
  • In the northwest it only rains when your inside,the wind is allways behind you and last time i checked the mighty hardknott pass was in the northwest :lol:
  • I think people have misunderstood what i originally said. I didn't say the North West was rubbish for routes etc. i meant its rubbish weather wise and the road conditions. When the weather is ok (not much lately) then it's a beautiful place to cycle.