North West is worst area to cycle!

willow71uk
willow71uk Posts: 114
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
It's always windy it's always raining the road conditions are a disgrace and the roads are the busiest in the country. But other than that i love cycling ;0

Comments

• I'm going to disagree with you. The North West is the best placed to cycle. It's not always windy, it doesn't always rain. I'll agree that some of the roads are a disgrace and need fixing, but some of them are OK. There are some very quiet roads (if you get off the main roads) and we have some of the best views in the country.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You need to come on the Bikeradar Spring Fling ride next year...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • willow71uk wrote:
    It's always windy it's always raining the road conditions are a disgrace and the roads are the busiest in the country. But other than that i love cycling ;0

I hate the Rainford Bypass with a passion.
  • Wasn't Birmingham recently found in some study or other to be the most dangerous/worst place for cyclists (remember something about it being on the news with in the last month although being from the midlands it may have been on a local news programme)
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    willow71uk wrote:

Me too had my only 2 flats on there and it's so bloody long.
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    Any area south of Hadrians wall is bound to be a lesser cycling experiance :wink:

Move north for a better Life!!!!!
  • Try riding in Wycombe. Worst roads in the world.
  • from skem you've got quiet roads out to rufford - bickerstaffe - burscough - halsall - rivington. Skem is right dump but the roads round it are ok - you just need to find the secret way to avoid the roundabouts. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • from skem you've got quiet roads out to rufford - bickerstaffe - burscough - halsall - rivington. Skem is right dump but the roads round it are ok - you just need to find the secret way to avoid the roundabouts. :D
    Your right about Skem being a dump i hate the place.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360

Well do what the rest of us do and go via Crank and Rainford junction (if you fancy the scenic route you could go via King's Moss and Crawford Village which is slightly longer) then you can always cut across it by the Wheatsheafe pub to Bickersfaffe via the lanes.

Where are you heading to and from where ?

Regards Alan

Ps forgot to mention that Wales is only down the road - some glorious ( and hilly) cycling to be had there ...
    Regards
    Alan
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You need to come on the Bikeradar Spring Fling ride next year...

enlighten me sir, sounds like something i need to know about.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Every March/April I organise a group ride in the peaks for BR Forumites.

This year was a cracking turn out and we even had a fully stocked feedstop, and energy drink/gels provided.

It's all FOC too.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • farrina wrote:

Well do what the rest of us do and go via Crank and Rainford junction (if you fancy the scenic route you could go via King's Moss and Crawford Village which is slightly longer) then you can always cut across it by the Wheatsheafe pub to Bickersfaffe via the lanes.

Where are you heading to and from where ?

I usually do but last week I did a St.Helens to Southport run in the morning so wanted a more direct route to the flats (wasn't sure I'd make it to Southport).

I usually go to Rainford via Crank and then down Bushey Lane (Wheatsheaf) and straight across to Simonswood.
  • I agree..where i live in the north west im alwys heading back home into a headwind..no matter which way i head out!or at least thats my excuse..
  • obviously you have never ridden in the forest of bowland, when you do I'm sure you will retract your comment!

Oh, regards skem, anyone on Facebook should join the page " 50 shades of skem"
    Not for the fainthearted
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Bustacapp wrote:
    I usually do but last week I did a St.Helens to Southport run in the morning so wanted a more direct route to the flats (wasn't sure I'd make it to Southport).

I usually go to Rainford via Crank and then down Bushey Lane (Wheatsheaf) and straight across to Simonswood.

Me thinks I am teaching you how to suck eggs :D

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Sounds just like Cornwall in the summer!! - always windy, always raining, rubbish roads & cars everywhere as the tourists look for diversions away from busy main roads & get lost in the quiet country lanes!

Saying that - because of the hills, weather, road surfaces etc - it does make for some great cycling and some of the best coastal scenery around.
    But that is the price we have to pay for being stuck out on a limb at the very bottom south west of the country - we get all the atlantic storms first!
  • The north west is the best cycling area in England... It is where the best climbs are, the roads are in better conditions and the traffic can be avoided... Yes, the weather down south is better, but we have box hill and you have the Great Dun Fell... Who wins?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Is there a forum or a post with recommended routes in the NW? I'm looking to get a bike and some good mileage/hours in the saddle but only know the routes I'd drive in a car.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Rubbish!

We have some of the best hills and spectacular views and moorland.

The crappy weather and roads are just what make us so hard!
  • scazzer
    scazzer Posts: 254
    edited September 2012
    Are u kiddin,we av some great rides around here............

Ok agree weathers not always great and some of the roads aint that good but u can definately get away from the busy traffic if u stick to country lanes..
    Been mentioned Rainford,Bickerstaff,Crank,Billinge then if you go the opposite way you have Newburgh,Parbold,Crossens,Eccleston etc(might even bump into wiggo) then theres Rufford,Holmeswood,Tarleton,Burscough and these are just for starters not even touched other side of Ormskirk,and you can sort urself loads of routes to these places via country lanes,so get out there and enjoy :D:wink:
  • To be fair, if your from Skem then your assured to be a negative sort of person, who else would live there? :roll:
  • I'm surprised that your from skem and you still own a bike!
  • nakedninja wrote:
    Is there a forum or a post with recommended routes in the NW? I'm looking to get a bike and some good mileage/hours in the saddle but only know the routes I'd drive in a car.
    Try http://ridewithgps.com/routes
  • your right regarding the state of the roads! But as for places to ride; Rivington would be a nice ride from where you are. Then you've got the Fylde coast for flat stuff, and the wonderful Trough of Bowland, which is cycling heaven:--))
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Peak District, West Pennine Moors, Forest of Bowland, Lake District, North Pennines, Cheshire Lanes, Yorkshire Dales not far away. Nearly every kind of riding you could hope for other than mountain climbs (although Great Dun Fell is more of a monster than many mountain passes!)
  • nakedninja wrote:
    Is there a forum or a post with recommended routes in the NW? I'm looking to get a bike and some good mileage/hours in the saddle but only know the routes I'd drive in a car.

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Merse ... es-90.html
    http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Lanca ... es-86.html
    http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Great ... es-78.html
  • I'm gonna hazard a guess that the OP is referring to the NW of England, not the NW of the UK....

But you are right the NW (*of the UK, and Scotland) is wet, windy and if not wet and windy, then full of Midges! :D
    Never rode in the NW of England, but I can guess that the peak district is wet, windy and full of Midges too... :P
    It's been a while...
  • nakedninja wrote:
    I had the links to hand, I'm creating a set of rides for myself to ride over the next few months, building up from my current 8/9 milers gradually up to wanting to do 100 mile rides. As my current commute is 3 miles or so each way, I've got a way to go to build my fitness (and stamina) up.

this: http://app.strava.com/segments/940909 is my personal everest at the moment, currently lying 112th out of 116, my short term goal is to complete the climb without stopping - giving it a go tomorrow morning again.