Mudguard love 2012

2»

Comments

• Boy Lard wrote:
    I'm really struggling to decide how to get mudguards on my commuter. Trek 6000 converted to skinny tyres and a rigid fork. Thing is, the fork is an old steel fork, with no lugs for mudguards and it uses disc brakes. I'd love to put some of the SKS Chromoplastics on, but I don't think I could get them to work. Similarly, I don't think, having watched the video on their website, that I'd get Crud Roadracers Mk2 on either. Currently running it with my mtb Topeak Defender on the back and nothing on the front. Any ideas?

080_110.jpg

Magic ;)

Or, n+1. :D
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    pangolin wrote:
    They attach around the brake fitting, if it's a disk only fork he'll struggle.

Loooong day at work. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Boy Lard wrote:
    The bit where the rubber band thing would go round the bottom of the fork, well that's where the disc brake is.

Loooong day at work. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    any experience of the clip-on raceblades?

my chromoplastics dont fit my new frame.

I was going to ask that as I need something I can pop off and on quicker than cruds. I'm not worried about les coverage I just want some coverage.
  • Bike Radar gives them 4.5/5

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ades-30859

Seem almost too good to be true though...

• 080_110.jpg

Magic ;)

That would probably work on the non-disc side, but the brake mount and calliper would be in the way on the other side I think. I have an n+1 (well n+3) already, which I could easily fit mudguards to, but the whole point of this bike was for commuting +disc brakes for wet weather.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Boy Lard wrote:

080_110.jpg

Magic ;)

That would probably work on the non-disc side, but the brake mount and calliper would be in the way on the other side I think. I have an n+1 (well n+3) already, which I could easily fit mudguards to, but the whole point of this bike was for commuting +disc brakes for wet weather.

Will Someone please answer this god damn question and post pics of what it looks like on the bike.

Someone must have raceblades on a bike with no eyelets and disc brakes.

I cannot stomach another day of a cold wet arse... :cry:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bike Radar gives them 4.5/5

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ades-30859

Seem almost too good to be true though...

I run these.

Other than the intial fit, no complaints at all.

No eyelets, just the rubber bands. Don't even slip when riding over cobbles.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Paul E wrote:

I was going to ask that as I need something I can pop off and on quicker than cruds. I'm not worried about les coverage I just want some coverage.
    Easier to fit than the Cruds but depending on your level of OCD you may find yourself fiddling with the angles to get it as close to the tyre as possible....or maybe that was just me.
  • stuj15 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

Easier to fit than the Cruds but depending on your level of OCD you may find yourself fiddling with the angles to get it as close to the tyre as possible....or maybe that was just me.
    Bit OCD. They're more for keeping your backside dry (not so good for the toes). For that purpose, they are excellent. The frame and drive bits will still get filthy, though.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Mudguards all the way for commuting, even in the so-called summer.

My Pompino sports a fine set of SKS Chromoplastics, which fit even with 28mm Marathon Plus.

My Pomp is rocking the same for the win.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    How it should be! 8)
    P1080263sm.jpg
    Incidentally, if you run Crud Roadracers, it's worth keeping an eye out for Mk1 bargains. I picked up a set of Mk1s from Halfords a few weeks ago for £13. Aside from the rear front section and the long rear tail, it is basically the same as a set of Mk2s. As a lifetimes supply of spares it is cheaper than going to Crud a couple of times for their spares packs.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rubertoe wrote:

Will Someone please answer this god damn question and post pics of what it looks like on the bike.

Someone must have raceblades on a bike with no eyelets and disc brakes.

I cannot stomach another day of a cold wet ars*... :cry:

My dear, departed Orbea looked like this:

DSC00084-1.jpg

No discs, though. I'd try mounting the other stay higher up on the disc side.
  • SKS all the way. Accept nothing less.

Don't forget to add some home made extra flappage - makes a huge difference to dry feet and general muck-in-transmission reduction.

DSC_0709-Copy.jpg
  • i need a bike that has mudguard mounts!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Mark__gti wrote:
    i need a bike that has mudguard mounts!

Yes you do why don't you pop onto the internet and by yourself a Ti winter commute, go on do eeeeeet.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SKS all the way. Accept nothing less.

This is advice from a man who puts neoprene chainstay protectors on a road bike - you should be ASHAMED! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    SKS all the way. Accept nothing less.

This is advice from a man who puts neoprene chainstay protectors on a road bike - you should be ASHAMED! :lol:

Aaagh, rumbled, I AM ashamed!! :lol:

It was my shiny-new-bike syndrome, so I whipped it off my old hack and put it on - is there a more elegant solution or do I just have to have a chipped and oily chainstay?
  • My sks chromoplastics continue to keep me relatively dry. However I still looked like I'd just finished a cyclocross race after yesterdays commute home - person passed me whilst I was sleeping, and I was behind him and his crudracers for about 300m before I passed & dropped him. Longest 300m ever - bleugh. I'm sure he looked over and laughed at the state of me as I passed him :(
  • Sks Chromos on the back, Sks commuters on the front.

I like to mix and match.

Damn disk brakes
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • cookdn wrote:
    Big_Paul wrote:
    cookdn wrote:
    My new SKS Blumels are in a City Link van, should be delivered today and on my bike tonight.

You'll get them next friday then, sh!tty Link man will probably just go home at 4 and fake the "could not deliver"

I know what you mean, I've given up having stuff delivered to home. Luckily we can have stuff delivered to work and as the man in his City Link van delivers to the warehouse on an almost daily basis I should be ok.

I wonder why Wiggle don't use the Collect+ pickup locations as an option for delivery?

It's got to the stage where if I know City Link are the delivery service I'll buy elsewhere, invariably you sit for 10 hours and they don't turn up, the last guy said he tried to deliver to my work at 17:42, which is quite frankly rubbish as I was sitting at the counter till after 6 waiting on him, collecting from their Belfast depot is a pain because it's about 13 miles outside of Belfast which means I have to get a lift if it's something I can't carry on the bike.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road