Mudguard love 2012

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
First year with full guards. What a difference etc etc. Dry legs and the bike isn't a state after one commute.
SKS Chromoplastics. Yep.

Just thought I'd kick off the thread for this year as I'm late to the party.
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Good man.

Welcome to the civilised side of cycling.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    First year with full guards too (Crud Mk2), superb.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Dont rub it in...

... I am currently riding the focus with out guards and mt arse was cold and wet this morning - was tempted to get the Virtuoso out this morning which has Full Guards
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • As summer never really turned up I didn't get round to taking my guards off since last winter.

Certainly appreciated them over the last few days.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    My all year round bike used to be my trusty Scot S30 (triple) until the frame cracked, which I ran the Cruds on. The warranty replacement Scott gave me was an S10 Ltd frame. I now can't get the Mk.II's on the rear. :( So, I'm currently running a raceblade on the rear and the crud on the front...yes it does look as shiiiiite as it sounds.

I may try and squeeze the crud on with a 23c, I just can't bring myself to run anything lower than a 25c in the wet though. The beauty of the crud being of course that they guard the front derailleur from all sorts of crap.
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    My new SKS Blumels are in a City Link van, should be delivered today and on my bike tonight. Can't commute by bike tomorrow or Friday due to the logistics of a Scout camp over the weekend (could be a wet one) :(. Back on my bike on Monday :).
    Boardman CX Team
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    SKS chromoplastics, best thing i've fitted to the bike. Smugness level exceed 10+ when cycling in the rain. Only negative is that you become a drafting fairy's no.1 target. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • yep i have had the guard revelation of a dry arris with my crud mk2's and my shoes sty a bit drier as well hurrah!!!
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    edited September 2012
    stuj15 wrote:
    My all year round bike used to be my trusty Scot S30 (triple) until the frame cracked, which I ran the Cruds on. The warranty replacement Scott gave me was an S10 Ltd frame. I now can't get the Mk.II's on the rear. :( So, I'm currently running a raceblade on the rear and the crud on the front...yes it does look as shiiiiite as it sounds.

I may try and squeeze the crud on with a 23c, I just can't bring myself to run anything lower than a 25c in the wet though. The beauty of the crud being of course that they guard the front derailleur from all sorts of crap.

Where does it struggle to fit? On my Dolan they don't fit between the tyre and the dropouts (under the brake) with a 23c tyre.

I cut the rear crud into two pieces, so the bit with the zip tie connecting to the brake is still attached to the back (main) part of the cruds. So this is still held on by stays and the zip tie.

The forward portion, that protects the legs and gears, also now fits and is held on fairly unobtrusively by zip ties. So basically I just had to remove the portion of the rear guard that goes under the bridge (or whatever it's called).

I'll try and post a pic tonight if you like. Has done well over 1000k now with no issues, rattling etc.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Koncordski wrote:
    SKS chromoplastics, best thing i've fitted to the bike. Smugness level exceed 10+ when cycling in the rain. Only negative is that you become a drafting fairy's no.1 target. :roll:

Trim the back one?
  • I think there is a clip of that pangolin on the crud website, they mention something about shortening the guard
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • dhope wrote:
    First year with full guards. What a difference etc etc. Dry legs and the bike isn't a state after one commute.
    SKS Chromoplastics. Yep.

Just thought I'd kick off the thread for this year as I'm late to the party.

I really need a set but I'm not sure if my winter bike has enough clearance for them to fit, are they super low profile by any chance ?
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    pangolin wrote:
    Where does it struggle to fit? On my Dolan they don't fit between the tyre and the dropouts (under the brake) with a 23c tyre.

Exactly there Pangolin, but it's also very tight between the tyre and the seat tube (see pic in sig). I tried just installing the rear portion, as they come it 2 bits, but to no avail and was reluctant to chop it down until I try with a 23. Might be worth revisiting though. ta.
  • cookdn wrote:
    My new SKS Blumels are in a City Link van, should be delivered today and on my bike tonight.

You'll get them next friday then, Shitty Link man will probably just go home at 4 and fake the "could not deliver"

Got them on my Revolution and my Vee-1.

Wonderful things!
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Mine are having to come off as my bike wont fit in it's bag with them on and it's the only way I can store the bike here at work. Road racers do work very well though, although I snapped the one stay mount on the front one this morning trying to force it :(
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    edited September 2012
    Big_Paul wrote:
    cookdn wrote:
    My new SKS Blumels are in a City Link van, should be delivered today and on my bike tonight.

You'll get them next friday then, sh!tty Link man will probably just go home at 4 and fake the "could not deliver"

I know what you mean, I've given up having stuff delivered to home. Luckily we can have stuff delivered to work and as the man in his City Link van delivers to the warehouse on an almost daily basis I should be ok.

I wonder why Wiggle don't use the Collect+ pickup locations as an option for delivery?
    Boardman CX Team
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Crud Mk IIs on the fixed is my God-Awful weather bike of choice . . .

Am considering fitting a pair of proper iron and girders style mahooosive ones instead and swapping the MK IIs onto the CAAD9 . . .

'Guards transform the wet weather riding experience. One the occasion (normally when I've spent the weekend cleaning it) when i get caught on the non-guarded CAAD9 in the wet I'm schinnfing all the way home.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Crud MKII over the rear wheel, but nothing at the front. I am hoping the missing parts for the front are at my parents' house - I'm heading up there this weekend.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yup, crud mk II for me, refitted them for 'the winter' at the weekend having looked at the weather forecast for this week and this morning was the first time I actually needed them.

Felt very smug riding in with a nice and dry hindquarters and had to restrain myself from saying to other riders with that telltale black stripe up their trousers and backs 'you wanna get yersel' some mudguards!'.

How do you spell patronising? (that's talking down to people by the way :lol::wink:)
    FCN = 4
  • Ben6899
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    telltale black stripe up their trousers and backs

I have a Solo gilet that I can't get 100% clean thanks to a sudden downpour over Summer. Not the end of the world, it's only a piece of sports clothing, but I have lost count of how many people I have seen runining civvies in the same manner on their commute.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Koncordski wrote:

I've solved this with a Hope District 3 on full.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I am now a covert to mudguards, SKS ones, had to take the reflector off the back one as it kept making a racket.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Mudguards all the way for commuting, even in the so-called summer.

My Pompino sports a fine set of SKS Chromoplastics, which fit even with 28mm Marathon Plus.
    Misguided Idealist
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Sketchley wrote:
    I am now a covert to mudguards, SKS ones, had to take the reflector off the back one as it kept making a racket.....

yes indeed, you wouldnt want your covert mudguards making a noise and being noticed woodya? :wink:
    FCN = 4
  • The SKS longboards never come off. Awesome bits of kit, and essential for the Great British Summer.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • I'm really struggling to decide how to get mudguards on my commuter. Trek 6000 converted to skinny tyres and a rigid fork. Thing is, the fork is an old steel fork, with no lugs for mudguards and it uses disc brakes. I'd love to put some of the SKS Chromoplastics on, but I don't think I could get them to work. Similarly, I don't think, having watched the video on their website, that I'd get Crud Roadracers Mk2 on either. Currently running it with my mtb Topeak Defender on the back and nothing on the front. Any ideas?
  • Ben6899
    Boy Lard wrote:
    I'm really struggling to decide how to get mudguards on my commuter. Trek 6000 converted to skinny tyres and a rigid fork. Thing is, the fork is an old steel fork, with no lugs for mudguards and it uses disc brakes. I'd love to put some of the SKS Chromoplastics on, but I don't think I could get them to work. Similarly, I don't think, having watched the video on their website, that I'd get Crud Roadracers Mk2 on either. Currently running it with my mtb Topeak Defender on the back and nothing on the front. Any ideas?

What makes you think the Crud Mk2s won't fit?
    Ben

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    They attach around the brake fitting, if it's a disk only fork he'll struggle.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • any experience of the clip-on raceblades?

my chromoplastics dont fit my new frame.
  • The bit where the rubber band thing would go round the bottom of the fork, well that's where the disc brake is.