Recommend me a decent but non-girly moisturiser

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Now that winter is rapidly approaching, my hands are beginning to dry up again from the commute. Any recommendations on a decent moisturiser?

It should be not too expensive (<£3), non-greasy, fragrance-free, and packaged in colours that allow me to leave it on my desk without feeling the need to discuss the game last night.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Vaseline Intensive care white bottle.

Can't be beat.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I use E45 Endless Moisture. Cheap, very faint fragrance, plain-ish white bottle with some pale blue on the label. Ticks all my boxes.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    My hands are a mess anyway, but a small tube of Neutrogena Norwegian Formula does the job
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Depends

I use Neutragena on hands if they're bad

Otherwise Olay stuff, don't give a sh17 if it's a bit girly, nothing manly about wrecked skin

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Hi,
    Neutrogena- the tube with the red cap is unscented.
    Cheers,
    W.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Nivea. Don't get the Nivea Soft stuff (white tub) as its cack. Proper Nivea in the blue tub is great and lasts for ages
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    personally i use Boots "botanical" mango flavoured stuff

this is the snizzle ya'll

smells lovely an isnt greasy

i cant stand the smell of unperfumed stuff, it smells like engine oil
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Swarfega. 4.5L tub.

It's the only acceptable option if you want to remain a man.
  • kelsen
    So I went for the 'Nivea Age Defying Q10 plus' in the end.

The benefits:- the Q10 formula visibly reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and the UVA/UVB filters help prevent the development of age spots.

But mainly, it was reduced by £1.43 whilst all the others were still full price.
  • kelsen
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Swarfega. 4.5L tub.

It's the only acceptable option if you want to remain a man.
    I think you'll find this is an exfoliator rather than a moisturiser!
  • I'll beat Greg66 to it:

A healthy mug of MTFU and a side of splooge for your chapped hands should sort your problems out.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    Boots "botanical" mango flavoured stuff

Flavoured body butter eh... can I put it on my hands AND my crumpets? :)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Johnson's baby lotion on the face. Johnson's baby oil on the body, arms, hands and legs.

Has been the rule for 20+ years.

If I'm out of baby oil (I only use baby lotion on my face) then its vaseline cocoa butter gel body oil
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Johnson's baby lotion on the face. Johnson's baby oil on the body, arms, hands and legs.

Has been the rule for 20+ years.

If I'm out of baby oil (I only use baby lotion on my face) then its vaseline cocoa butter gel body oil

Do you do that to make yourself shiny?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • just ask yourself, does chuck norris use hand moisturiser NO!!!!, he uses the blood off his assailants, on his walk to the betting office :lol:

If BA was here he'd approach you in a tank and throw a chocolate object at you and tell you to get some N**ts
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    As cyclingprop said, MTFU. Non-girly moisturiser is an oxymoron.

I have a theory (not scientifically tested) that regular moisturiser use leads to dependency, as your skin stops producing the stuff itself. Why else would it be that girls (who tend to use moisturiser) always seem to have problems with dry hands, whereas real men (who wouldn't use the stuff if their lives depended on it) very rarely have issues?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • facepalm.jpg
  • kelsen
    Great. Stuck in a forum with a load of guys on high-protein diets.

1011697-team_x_01.png

:lol:
  • Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector.
    Not cheap, but really works so you don't use much.

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/shop-by-ra ... ector.aspx
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    kelsen wrote:
    Great. Stuck in a forum with a load of metrosexuals with expensive hairdos.
    FTFY

Seriously though, Mrs TGOTB also recommends the Norwegian stuff. I obviously wouldn't go within a mile of the stuff, but in the hypothetical event of some getting on my hands I'm sure it would do the job pretty well :wink:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I suffered with my hands last winter when I wa washing them lots after nappy changing and to avoid getting colds after using the dreaded PT. My missus bought me some of this and it's the shizzle. It's fiercely expensive, but really nice and not too girly perfumed. I have it on good authority that the tube's titanium as well* so definitely not girly.

I'm vaguely of TGOTB's opinion that using the stuff does create a dependence, but if you have to wash your hands loads it does ruin them also.

*This statement may contain traces of lie
  • No such thing as a non-girly moisturiser.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    after using the dreaded PT

Eh?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Public Transport.
  • kelsen
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Public Transport.
    A bit drastic innit, just to avoid chapped hands?!
  • kelsen wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Public Transport.
    A bit drastic innit, just to avoid chapped hands?!

No, it was PT that caused me to have chapped hands, since I always felt the need to wash them after using PT to avoid the colds and flu left by minging, coughy, sneezy PT users. Yet another advantage of cycling.
  • my hands are disgusting, ripped torn cuticles, dry like sandpaper. I've tried absolutely EVERYTHING and the only thing that leaves them baby-soft is this stuff.

http://www.cetraben.co.uk/products.html#sCetraben500

Plus it comes in a manly half-litre pump-action bottle.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    E45.

Get a pot.
  • No, it was PT that caused me to have chapped hands, since I always felt the need to wash them after using PT to avoid the colds and flu left by minging, coughy, sneezy PT users. Yet another advantage of cycling.

Do you have OCD?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Boots essentials moisturiser, plain or cucumber is pretty good and they do 3 for 2 style offers. Cheaper than Botanics but just as good.
    Maybe you have to be at ease with your sexuality to use a cucumber moisturiser.

Fragrance-free moisturiser allows me to add my own signature scent without causing that oh-so-embarrassing perfume-clash. I'm sure we've all been there guys!