K Edge Garmin Mount - Any UK Stock?

Comments

• bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Just got my Garmin mount from Wiggle - £18 using a £10 off voucher (50 quid order).

Way overpriced - I've waited 6 months for a better/cheaper one. I even tried to make my own! Didn't work out.

So Garmin it is. It is a very nice plastic moulding though! And it comes in a nice little box with instructions!!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    edited March 2013
    I need a second mount. I'm going to get another FlipLoc and get it delivered to one of our offices in the US. My boss is going out there next month so I won't have to pay the £11 'handling' fee making it significantly cheaper than the first one I bought.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    ...And it comes in a nice little box with instructions!!

And an allen key ... which I have already lost.
    tick - tick - tick
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    metronome wrote:

I do like the rubber protection on the inside of the clamp to protect your handlebars. The K-Edge doesn't come with that. Having said that I do still think the K-Edge is the best made mount!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • bernithebiker
    metronome wrote:

hey, I didn't get an Allen key!!!

:x
  • thefd
    metronome wrote:

hey, I didn't get an Allen key!!!

:x
    I got one as well... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Well my SRAM mount for £14 has proven superb so far - no vibration, no loosening and well positioned. Just ordered a 2nd for my summer bike and Fudges say they sent it today despite the website showing no stock when I ordered it yesterday. Whats not to like?
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • bernithebiker
    Loving the Garmin mount so far, very solid, my 500 is in exactly the right place, you can't go back to stem mount after this.

Just one issue - I can't hear the beeps very well anymore - I like checking my 5km times, and I now sometimes miss the beep......thinking of drilling the underside out to resolve this, not sure if anyone's tried that....?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've modded my Sram mounts for better audio output.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    redvee wrote:
    I've modded my Sram mounts for better audio output.
    Wanna take some pics and post them up ?
  • redvee
    p1000172dc.jpg

Uploaded with Help from IT Support
  • redvee wrote:
    p1000172dc.jpg

Uploaded with Help from IT Support

Glad I am not the only one who did'nt drill the hole dead centre :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • bernithebiker
    Is it just me, or is there no pic to see?
  • thefd
    Is it just me, or is there no pic to see?
    Just you...I can see the picture! :?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    @redvee - ta :)
  • redvee

It's more central on the other Sram mount on the other bike.
  • redvee wrote:

It's more central on the other Sram mount on the other bike.

Mine is further out than on your photo :shock:
    Does the job fine though
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Bit of a long shot asking on here, but does anyone have any cad drawings of any garmin mounts.
    I have a new shiny 3d printer and trying to save some time.
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    i made my own today. cost me the totall off £0 so if it fails badly i will be buying 1.

E12BEA30-C2B5-4891-BF36-F025FEF86521-11589-0000144B11A7A73B.jpg

024EE117-C1CD-46EF-93E9-7350246DF9E2-11589-0000144B066D78C9.jpg

A1A0B1DA-F21D-4737-B599-211F6A4BF8A2-11589-0000144AFC7ACD87.jpg
  • bernithebiker
    I can't really see very clearly how you've done it, but my home-made one and several others I've seen have failed at the 90' bend near the stem.

There is constant low level vibration of the Garmin and it fatigues the metal at this point. I used alu, maybe steel would be better, but obviously heavier.

Mine was for a 500, so for an 800, the effect would be more pronounced. Luckily I managed to collect mine intact from the road after it broke off.......
  • mr_joe0606
    yeah mines made off steel i heated the metal up to bend it so it would not stress the metal. will be going for a quick ride tomos and a big ride on sunday so will be a good test
  • bernithebiker
    mr_joe0606 wrote:
    i heated the metal up to bend it so it would not stress the metal.

So did I!

Mine went on the 3rd or 4th ride, maybe tie on a safety cord just in case...?!!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Can someone explain the reason the K edge is so popular, as far as I can see it is about three times heavier than the standard Garmin one and I've never had a problem with mine in terms of how secure it is. Is it just the fact that it appears more in the line of vision with the forward position? Thirty six quid seems quite expensive compared to just moving your head, am I missing something or is it just a bit of bike bling?
  • mr_joe0606
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Can someone explain the reason the K edge is so popular, as far as I can see it is about three times heavier than the standard Garmin one and I've never had a problem with mine in terms of how secure it is. Is it just the fact that it appears more in the line of vision with the forward position? Thirty six quid seems quite expensive compared to just moving your head, am I missing something or is it just a bit of bike bling?

as said when the garmin is on the stem you have to move your head down to view it. when its up front its just a glance down with yours eyes. think i will be getting the k edge 1 as not cofident in the 1 i made just dont trust it carrying it.
  • Paul 8v
    mr_joe0606 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

as said when the garmin is on the stem you have to move your head down to view it. when its up front its just a glance down with yours eyes. think i will be getting the k edge 1 as not cofident in the 1 i made just dont trust it carrying it.

Apart from the not very aesthetically pleasing SRAM logo that seems to be a better bet, it's about half the price and lighter than the k edge. The only advantage I can see is that it has a bit of adjustability and it sits a tiny bit lower down
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Can somebody tell me is the sram one from fudges better than a 3d printed one as my plastic one sheared off at the clamp yesterdsy at 41 mph throwing my new 800 about 400 yards along mallorcas most damaged road, making my new garmin one of mallorcas most damaged too. Will the sram one be stronger? Thanks
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    Can somebody tell me is the sram one from fudges better than a 3d printed one as my plastic one sheared off at the clamp yesterdsy at 41 mph throwing my new 800 about 400 yards along mallorcas most damaged road, making my new garmin one of mallorcas most damaged too. Will the sram one be stronger? Thanks

I have had no issues with my sram one Jeff.
    It's been on since Jan and done well over 2000 miles
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501

Noooooooo Jeff, that is a right p***er... I have the k edge... Pricy but very nicey mate... I hope that they don't suffer 'mile fatigue' too.

Feel for you matey :cry:
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Paul 8v wrote:
    mr_joe0606 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Apart from the not very aesthetically pleasing SRAM logo that seems to be a better bet, it's about half the price and lighter than the k edge. The only advantage I can see is that it has a bit of adjustability and it sits a tiny bit lower down

SRAM - out front but high up so not flush - made of plastic
    Garmin Out Front - it's out front (no kidding) and flush with the stem - made of plastic
    K-Edge - it's out front, flush with the stem, made of metal and comes with a lifetime guarantee

There's no point comparing weight - you're talking 10g - I can spit 10g!
  • Paul 8v
    It's just something about adding extra weight to the bike that is counterintuitive! If the edge is the way to go it just looks like I will have to sell a bit more old toot on eBay to pay for it!