I might buy a weekly travelcard tomorrow...

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    /shakes fist at the sky

"Come on! Is that all you've got!"
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Mudguards on, lights charged and waterproofs looked out.....
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Hey Al,

just got in from my garage too; was fitting my guards on the Bianchi.

It was my first 'dark' commute home on Friday evening as I didnt leave the office until 6-15pm so lights were already on although I discovered both sets had low batteries. Stopped in Evans Clapham to buy some fresh ones on the way home. Got wet tho as wasn't expecting the rain.

Dug out my waterproof and shoe covers this arvo.
    FCN = 4
  • fairly wet today, both going to and from work, But clothes dry out soon enough.

Not Bothered with Guards the bike doesn't have proper fittings and is a bit of pain for little gain, with my short commute.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Ridiculous as it is, I'll be taking the road bike tomorrow rather than the one with full guards. Bleedin' fancy wheels have tiny brake tracks so stopping is awful in the wet. Time to swap out for sensible wheels :(
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Dressed for apocalypse and left early.

Overheated. the end.
  • well all I can say is what a revalation having guards on is, my arris was lovely and dry on the commute in, brakes are a bit dodgy but I have new blocks.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    come on, who got soaked?

i literally have rainwater dripping out of my shoes at the moment
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • dhope
    Took the fixed after all. Pootled. Was fine. Still will swap out for sensible wheels.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    dhope wrote:
    [...] Pootled. [...]

A.K.A. The Chasey Gambit?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Over heated a little so had to slow down. Also need to treat glasses with Rain X and anti fog tonight.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dhope
    DrLex wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    [...] Pootled. [...]

A.K.A. The Chasey Gambit?

I got passed by a hybrid and didn't respond :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    sweating like a farmer's arse after about 2 miles - for some reason I equated wind and rain with "freezing" which is certainly wasn't.

Happy I brought a spare pair of socks and padded shorts for tonight
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I need some brakes that work in the wet, anyone got any recommendations for decent pads. Stopping distance was measured in buses this morning, the average being 2-3. :shock:

Decent wet weather pads?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • dhope
    Koncordski wrote:
    I need some brakes that work in the wet, anyone got any recommendations for decent pads. Stopping distance was measured in buses this morning, the average being 2-3. :shock:

Decent wet weather pads?

Koolstop Salmon
    Swissstop Green

I have the former, but the reviews are pretty good for both.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Koncordski wrote:

Decent wet weather pads?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drogue_parachute

Surely the only answer for Koncordski.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Koncordski wrote:

Decent wet weather pads?
    Avid BB5/7s

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A bit soggy but the biggest irritation is the drivers going all crap and clogging the roads up. I can never work out why the traffic suddenly gridlocks just because of a bit of drizzle.

Slightly too warm on arrival but generally judged it right. Commute time was up by about 3 -4 minutes on the usual half hour only - I bet that would pee the drivers of Leeds off :lol:

Have had to stuff the shoes with pages from Metro though. At least Metro is useful for something!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Left home when there was no rain, didn't put over shoes on. School boy error.

Arrived at work wetter than an otters pocket.
  • stuj15 wrote:
    Left home when there was no rain, didn't put over shoes on. School boy error.

Arrived at work wetter than an otters pocket.

I was nice and dry mate :wink: , did you see I beat my KOM again

• Koncordski wrote:

Decent wet weather pads?

oddly enough thats about par for 30 mph for braking distances. ie between 2 and 3 buses.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_188029.pdf

more pricey pads do seem better than the cheesy cheap one, on the whole.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Left late, decided not to wear the water-proof jacket which was the right call. Got slightly wet by the time I arrived in the office but 'guards and overshoes deflected the worst of it.

And where was the wind? I was expecting a jet propelled ride in. It's probably lurking until later in the day when it will give me a beasting as I try and hurry home.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I was rained on, I was hit head on by 20mph winds, tackled from the left by a 30mph wind, I then took a barrage of abuse from the right. Wind and rain shouting and hammering, passing through into my very soul!

Still I persevered, accelerating, braking, turning and fighting always! Then at the end of all I arrived at my destination, flustered but triumphant I roared

"Who else wants some!"

I turned the engine off, stepped out of my car and went to work.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I was rained on, I was hit head on by 20mph winds, tackled from the left by a 30mph wind, I then took a barrage of abuse from the right. Wind and rain shouting and hammering, passing through into my very soul!

Still I persevered, accelerating, braking, turning and fighting always! Then at the end of all I arrived at my destination, flustered but triumphant I roared

"Who else wants some!"

1exploitableiamdisappoi.jpg
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    took the train :) don't mind cold - but hate cycling in the rain - weak I know.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

"Who else wants some!"

dad-certificate07-1.gif

On Monday and Tuesday I drop the lil'1 to nursery and Ms DDD to work. [I'm gonna take up evening running on Monday and Tuesdays] I then cycle to work on Wednesday - Friday.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167

Yeh, I'm on the 'sofa' so ride style is a bit more relaxed :) ...and I left a little late also today so had traffic to contend with.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Not too bad at all, overheated a bit.
  • stuj15 wrote:

Yeh, I'm on the 'sofa' so ride style is a bit more relaxed :) ...and I left a little late also today so had traffic to contend with.

yeah I was a little bit later thanks to my train being cancelled