Silly Chilli Racers

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Seems the majority of us on here share a love of bicycles and spicy food, surely we need a thread to discuss and display our manly spicy tales.

I for one keep my chilli powers in check by covering everything I eat with dried crushed whole chillies trouble is they no longer have any effect and I don't want to switch to sauces.

Clearly they do work as my wife and daughter can't even bare one seed without bursting into flames.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'm just about to order mussels with chilli in black bean sauce, my missus will then dissect the sauce and remove all the red chilli's and proceed to put them on my dish.

Fiery yummyness.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I was partial to chillies until the viper naga experience... I think I'm going to lay off for a while
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • itboffin
    No no you've got it all wrong when you go hot you have to maintain the pace or you'll loose your powers.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Too right ITB!

I pile the crushed chillies on pretty much anything, beans on toast, salads, soups, fajitas.... I now buy the catering size pot from Costco to be more economical. :oops:

My Friday lunchtime visit to Tortillas has me adding more and more Dave's Insanity Sauce each week. Some colleagues now ask how many 'drops' I'm putting on, I'm up to around 10 at the moment. Even though the mouth is getting used to it, the other end is still complaining!

Anyway, just about to tuck into a nice Chicken Tikka Garlic Vindaloo. :)
  • Naga viper was nice but Moruga Scorpion has a much better fruity flavour and even more heat. Keep having bhut jolokia sauce on everything at work but not so much fun the next day... :wink:
  • May i recommend cayenne pepper. Put it on anything. Has barely any flavour, so your food still tastes the same, only now you need to keep a towel handy to mop up your streaming tears.
  • So who's up for trying this:

CPC-16MCapsaicin.jpg
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    Erm cayenne is one less in strength than cucumber and wtf is that 16m weapon of mass destruction surely the point is flavour and extreme heat otherwise its just chemical warfare.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I'm just a big Jessie and can't do hot & spicy. Just got in from a ruby for a friends' 50th. I ordered something medium/hot, that was brave for me. The glass of simian semen after the meal restored order.
  • itboffin
    Why does the left over chilli dust pack more of a punch?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm just a big Jessie and can't do hot & spicy. Just got in from a ruby for a friends' 50th. I ordered something medium/hot, that was brave for me. The glass of simian semen after the meal restored order.

my brother-in-law starts sweating if he has Brown (daddies) sauce.

:roll:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • itboffin
    Wtf brown sauce
  • I really don't like the after-taste that Naga Chilli varieties leave so what species should I be looking for for similar heat?

Also now that the laws have been tightened up does anyone have a bucket chemistry method for extracting the capasaicin alkaloids?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    itboffin wrote:
    Why does the left over chilli dust pack more of a punch?

Surface area to volume ratio.

I've just had a weekend of bloody Marys made with homemade chilli vodka. Lethal stuff, and devilishly delicious. Completely negates the need for something limp like Tabasco. Made a vat of deathchup last week with scotch bonnets and birds eyes, garlic, ginger and onions cooked down with some tomatoes, brown sugar and cider vinegar. Great with beef.
  • itboffin
    Had some habanero sauce on my GBF habanero burger at lunch time, nice bit of bite could easily get very into that stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Getting into the more fruity chilis.

Been through a smokey/garlicky phase.
  • I really don't like the after-taste that Naga Chilli varieties leave so what species should I be looking for for similar heat?

Try the scorpion varieties like Moruga Scorpion or Trinidad Scorpion or the Infinity Chillis. All pretty much as full on as the Naga.
  • itboffin
    I have a bottle of blairs ultra death sauce and some ghost chilli nuts to go with, might spice up my morning scrambled eggs :roll:
  • itboffin
    And my soup at lunch time plus my I have no idea what that was dinner accept phew that's a tad warm.

Finishing off the evening with some ghost chilli coated nuts, this is going to be painful in the morning.
  • itboffin
    Have a fair amount of stomach pains this morning, Blair's revenge
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I need a little help from the Chilli hive-mind. I've just discovered this 09753-original.jpg and I really really like it. Trouble is, it's not hot enough.

Anyone know of something that's still got that same glorious smoked flavour, but is say 1.5 -> 2 times as hot as that?

Why have I only just discovered Chipotle?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • itboffin
    davis wrote:
    I need a little help from the Chilli hive-mind. I've just discovered this 09753-original.jpg and I really really like it. Trouble is, it's not hot enough.

Anyone know of something that's still got that same glorious smoked flavour, but is say 1.5 -> 2 times as hot as that?

This might be a good starting point http://extremefood.com/shop/home.php perhaps the death 6-pack?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't mind the burn on the way in - it's the burn on the way out I'm not so keen on :shock: :shock: :twisted: :oops:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I don't mind the burn on the way in - it's the burn on the way out I'm not so keen on :shock: :shock: :twisted: :oops:

Correct.

My mouth writes chili cheques my ass (and bowels generally) cannot cash.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Give some of this a whirl:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Franks-RedHot-O ... 242&sr=8-2

Fairly universal as will work with meats, potatoes and even eggs. Also for those who care this is the stiff TGI Fridays use on their buffalo hot wings.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • +1 on the franks red hot cayenne sauce. That is about as hot as I go, although I pile on Jalapenos on almost everything.

Curry on the other hand, Madras is my limit otherwise I get these....

1. Start to hiccup lots.
    2. tongue physically hurts at the side.
    3. Nose will start to run uncontrollably.
    4. Start to sweat profusely, and as I am a slaphead I get the pespiration bullets all over head.
    5. Last stage, i start to cry. Not in a end of "The Champ" way but enough to be embarrassed.

Like tabasco on eggs too and lurve my Wasabi, which I know is horseradish but still flavoursome and hot. :)
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • davis wrote:

img_1238.jpg
  • itboffin
    Unless you're at least 1M scovilles you are basically riding a hybrid bicycle or worse a MTB and need to MTFU or pop over the the little 'target' cap thread and officially give up like this poor lass

1175.jpg
  • itboffin wrote:
    Unless you're at least 1M scovilles you are basically riding a hybrid bicycle or worse a MTB and need to MTFU or pop over the the little 'target' cap thread and officially give up like this poor lass

1175.jpg

:lol: pleasant evening in the pub? Currently enjoying this one:

318saPWA-vL.jpg
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Can thoroughly recommend Chillipepper Pete's stuff, especially this:

cpp-shit2012.jpg?SCid=6c3f69997e6086307655a6971428ee48

http://www.scorchio.co.uk/chillipepper-petes-satans-shit-p-1061.html