Everyday is a schoolday - what did you learn?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
I learned about Gauss guns - spurious linky here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epf1AUvG ... =fvwp&NR=1

What did you discover today?

<off to buy magnets>
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Coffe slops out of a cup easily when you are walking because the natural frequency of oscillation of coffee in an averagely sized cup just happens to be about the same as the frequency of walking. Something rather beautiful about that.

http://pre.aps.org/abstract/PRE/v85/i4/e046117
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rjsterry wrote:
    Coffe slops out of a cup easily when you are walking because the natural frequency of oscillation of coffee in an averagely sized cup just happens to be about the same as the frequency of walking. Something rather beautiful about that.

http://pre.aps.org/abstract/PRE/v85/i4/e046117

Ig Nobels were yesterday, weren't they?

I learnt how to remove permenent marker from a whiteboard using a dry wipe marker. Who'd have thunk it?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    In the UK they have a 'lost property office' in France they have a 'bureau des objets trouvés' :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Battersea Park has a 12mph speed limit..... :(
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    How to recognise a Dewberry.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I've found a supermarket that actually sells fresh yeast (thank you Morrisons)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • jejv wrote:
    Oh so that's what those things that look like blackberries but aren't and don't taste the same are. Thanks, now I know what to call them.

So that's what I learned.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    I learned about Gauss guns - spurious linky here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epf1AUvG ... =fvwp&NR=1

What did you discover today?

<off to buy magnets>

Ha - very strange. I have just spent 20 minutes reading up on the theory after seeing something on LFGSS.
  • Oh - and I learned that 39x25 is not enough for a long hill of 8% when you weigh as much as I do.
  • jejv
    jejv wrote:
    Oh so that's what those things that look like blackberries but aren't and don't taste the same are. Thanks, now I know what to call them.

So that's what I learned.
    I don't remember seeing them whe I lived oop North, but there seem to be loads of them on the edges of the fenland.
    Cloudberries seem more like a North Scottish thing.
  • I learnt that when you are stressed and worried about money and your job, you shouldn't shout at your wife for buying small items in readiness for xmas - even if she does appear to be buying too many!

it does NOT constructively help in any way what so ever!
  • msmancunia wrote:

Most of them do if you can find one with an actual in-store bakery as opposed to a place where they've stuck a couple of ovens and just tip in frozen semi-baked loaves every so often. My local Sainsburys used to give you 50g for nothing if you asked nicely. Then I moved and then I discovered the joys of sourdough...

I learned that Plumstead isn't where I thought it was. It's closer by about 5 miles and a river...
  • jejv
    That if my job title has "software" in it, I need to be extremely careful to let absolutely everyone involved know what is happening before I start messing with the Verilog. Even when the people who are messing with the Verilog as their job ask me for advice. Meh. All the tests still pass. Just a few ruffled feathers.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I learned that DDD's sex life is on the wane due to him getting older. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jejv
    Proteins may have Quaternary structure. Thanks to 16YO for that.

Konrad Zuse had a pretty neat design for a full adder:
    http://tams-www.informatik.uni-hamburg. ... seadd.html
    http://asr.menloschool.org/2ndSemester/ ... Daniel.pdf
    Note that the carry-signal is propagated instantly after the input values A and B and the (dual-rail encoded) Carry input are applied to the circuit. Therefore, an n-bit adder is almost as fast as a 1-bit adder, because the propagation of the electrical signals is much faster than the switching time of the relays.
    If you're interested in the history of computation, and you haven't heard of Zuse, you should check him out. He figured out most of the important stuff in IEEE754 in about 1938. Unfortunately, CPUs are usually designed by numerical numpties, so the lessons are often not learned.

Fellini worked on the script for Rome, Open City
  • jejv
    Less wellcome,
    BoBo is well up The Digger's arris.
    And he got on so well with that nice John Yates chap.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    That it's a huge mistake to underestimate the stupidity of your manager.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    flu injections make you feel rubbish
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    mudcow007 wrote:

Only on some people, I escaped without any side effects.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    redvee wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Only on some people, I escaped without any side effects.

not even a sore arm?!

are you sure you didn't just get a injection of water?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    That I melt on a turbo (and that if I'm organised and pull my finger out I may be able to get home, get in kit and chase you lot down to do a 20m loop before 7.30pm)...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    msmancunia wrote:
    We've always got it for free from the bakery at our local Tesco.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    The back of the hand is called the dorsum.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    That a Guibo (pronounced gwee-bo) is actually a vernacular spelling and is in fact a Giubo (pronounced in italian as joo-bo).

(it's a rubber donut/doughnut on a drive coupling)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    That if you wear old baggy trackies over the top of your rights while you're getting ready in the morning, and forget you're still wearing them for the first five miles, you feel quite toasty but very silly.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    PBo wrote:
    The back of the hand is called the dorsum.

I think that dorsum refers to your back, or the back of any part of the body. Would say " the dorsum of my hand" rather than just "dorsum". Latin, innit.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Australia has a skiing industry.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Australia has a skiing industry.

In the imaginatively named Snowy Mountains.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I have learned that men are totally blind to the obvious even when it's staring them in the face :cry:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    NGale wrote:
    I have learned that men are totally blind to the obvious even when it's staring them in the face :cry:

Sounds a bit like Barnes' a sense of an ending...