Minister insulting Police

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I suspect it might be his normal behaviour. I'm sure it wouldnt have got any attention if it hadnt happened in the wake of the killing of two female officers. This is manna from heaven for the media who love to whip up public anger. Several tv reporters (and others) even made comments along the lines of "especially at a time when we are mourning....". Implying that such behaviour might be ok at other times.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    careful wrote:
    I suspect it might be his normal behaviour. I'm sure it wouldnt have got any attention if it hadnt happened in the wake of the killing of two female officers. This is manna from heaven for the media who love to whip up public anger. Several tv reporters (and others) even made comments along the lines of "especially at a time when we are mourning....". Implying that such behaviour might be ok at other times.
    No, I think it just makes the story more topical in a collateral sense.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    The police who blamed Liverpool fans for the Hillsborough disaster, shot dead an innocent man on a London train and assaulted (and killed) a news vendor during the G8 demonstrations, are now acting like startled virgins because an MP has used a naughty word.....................
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    natrix wrote:
    The police who blamed Liverpool fans for the Hillsborough disaster, shot dead an innocent man on a London train and assaulted (and killed) a news vendor during the G8 demonstrations, are now acting like startled virgins because an MP has used a naughty word.....................
    Is this the same policeman we are talking about..? He sure gets around.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Whatever was said, or wasn't said, I can't believe that this is still headline news days after the event.

Well, I can believe it but think it is sad. There are so many more worthy stories out there for an editor who can be ar$ed.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Well first off he swore at a policeman, hardly the worst crime in the world but as a minister he should know better.

But what makes it worse is that he lied about it afterwards, that's why the media are after him. I'm sure if he'd put his hand up, admitted his mistake and properly appologised to the policeman we wouldn't be talking about it now.

But he didn't and the molehill is turning into a mountain. And it serves him right.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    No, at first glance, it may seem an inane story but look beyond it, this goverment is cutting services and raising taxes at a rate unknown to any of us and there is far far more to come - he was appointed by cameron, who would have known full well the guys rep - but that didnt matter, none of us really matter to these sort of people, they couldnt give a flying ffff about the rest of society, just so long as they still have their villas in tuscany and their kids go to Milfield/Eton etc etc

and coming so soon after the deaths of the 2 female police officers as well and Camerons crocodile tears.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    mamba80 wrote:
    No, at first glance, it may seem an inane story but look beyond it, this goverment is cutting services and raising taxes at a rate unknown to any of us and there is far far more to come - he was appointed by cameron, who would have known full well the guys rep - but that didnt matter, none of us really matter to these sort of people, they couldnt give a flying ffff about the rest of society, just so long as they still have their villas in tuscany and their kids go to Milfield/Eton etc etc

and coming so soon after the deaths of the 2 female police officers as well and Camerons crocodile tears.

Not entirely sure what cuts and taxes have got to do with a Police Officer being insulted. This is why the story has been blown out of all proportion, people can't make the distinction between differ stories.

On another note, do you honestly think that any other politicians give a flying ffff about the rest of society ? Of course they don't. Being in government is about being in power, unless you're in the current Labour Party, then it just seems to be about whining like schoolgirls.

My nephew has just completed a degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics and has made two observations:

1) People who study PPE shouldn't be allowed to become politicians as they're not qualified to run anything, they're just qualified to be politicians, which primarily involves putting your point across and avoiding answering questions; which ever party you're involved with.
    2) 90% of people who study PPE, and this goes for all political leanings, want to be in charge of something. Ultimately, considering the degree they've studied, this means the country.

As for Cameron's crocodile tears, that's a bull sh*t story. Of course he was going to say something about it. Imagine the uproar if he hadn't. What ever he'd said, there would have been some idiot moaning about it.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    edited September 2012
    MattC59 wrote:
    Not entirely sure what cuts and taxes have got to do with a Police Officer being insulted. This is why the story has been blown out of all proportion, people can't make the distinction between differ stories.

That’s the difference between you and me. I would prefer to be governed by people who are more sympathetic towards plebs when creating policy. Not elitist goons like Mitchell, who has made it publically clear what he thinks of ‘ordinary’ people, and is no doubt much more sympathetic towards his cronies in the banking sector.

Just out of interest what would you think if he had called a nurse a ‘ducking pleb’ and treated them the same way, if say they stopped him going through a door in a hospital he wasn’t allowed to?
    Mañana
  • It's time Cameron pointed out to Andrew Mitchell insulting the police is the home secretaries job, not the chief whips. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    MattC59 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

On another note, do you honestly think that any other politicians give a flying ffff about the rest of society ? Of course they don't. Being in government is about being in power, unless you're in the current Labour Party, then it just seems to be about whining like schoolgirls.

My nephew has just completed a degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics and has made two observations:

1) People who study PPE shouldn't be allowed to become politicians as they're not qualified to run anything, they're just qualified to be politicians, which primarily involves putting your point across and avoiding answering questions; which ever party you're involved with.
    2) 90% of people who study PPE, and this goes for all political leanings, want to be in charge of something. Ultimately, considering the degree they've studied, this means the country.

As for Cameron's crocodile tears, that's a bull sh*t story. Of course he was going to say something about it. Imagine the uproar if he hadn't. What ever he'd said, there would have been some idiot moaning about it.

Whether this guy was trained/qualified or not, the irony remains that it is his job to negotiate and discuss the PM's policies with his MP's. He then has to use his conversational nouse to convince those MP's (who give a f**k) to vote in the desired fashion.

The fact that he couldn't negotiate his way out of a simple gate without reverting to publicly swearing at a policeman and threatening to use his position for retribution has me chuckling at how he got his job in the first place and wondering how many other cabinet members are as academically challenged.
  • MattC59
    izza wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Whether this guy was trained/qualified or not, the irony remains that it is his job to negotiate and discuss the PM's policies with his MP's. He then has to use his conversational nouse to convince those MP's (who give a f**k) to vote in the desired fashion.

The fact that he couldn't negotiate his way out of a simple gate without reverting to publicly swearing at a policeman and threatening to use his position for retribution has me chuckling at how he got his job in the first place and wondering how many other cabinet members are as academically challenged.

I'm sure you're an educated person, but I bet you've lost your rag in a situation where a sensible conversation would have gained better results.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    MattC59 wrote:
    I'm sure you're an educated person, but I bet you've lost your rag in a situation where a sensible conversation would have gained better results.
    Maybe he should have just D-Locked him and be done with it. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • pb21
    MattC59 wrote:

The issue isnt that he lost his rag.
    Mañana
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Shouting losing his rag, maybe thats how he keeps the MPs in check? Kinda like "In The Thick Of It"
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    MattC59 wrote:

Why, thank you.

You are correct but that is why I have never or would never put my CV forward for a public office or cabinet member. When a person goes into these positions they have to be able to cope with these things.

If he was in a position where he had to negotiate with, say the EU, on something that could remove billions from the UK economy I don't want him getting frustrated within a few minutes, calling Merkel a "slapper", implying that the french president is a Dutch pleb immigrant and then cycling off down the nearest pathway thinking that he can merely lie his way out of the situation, despite there being numerous witnesses.
  • Hmm. The 'truth' about nasty Tories: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/janet ... ty-tories/
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    MattC59 wrote:

But your nephews musings are relevant are they????

Of course the 2 stories are related as other journalists and contributors have pointed out - Cameron telling everyone how brave are boys in blue are or saluting our amazing Olympians/Soldiers - whilst his "minsters" cut benefits, sporting facilites, the Police, Armed forces - Mitchels attitude shows the contempt he and many many other politians hold us Plebs in.
    We are certainly "all in together" its just that their definition of "ALL" is very limited - and only an Idiot could fail to see that :lol:
  • I can't believe what I'm going to write here...
    Being honest I'm one of those people that kind of sneers when the "Sun" is mentioned.... But if I see a copy lurking about I have a quick scan through it, not only to check page 3 I hasten to add.
    Anyhow hats off to the Sun for finding out and revealing "Pleb" man Andrew Mitchell had spent a long time in a classy curry house.
    What is the normal thing you have in London's poshest curry house? nice spicy food and a few glasses of ????
    Well he reckons he had a long frustrating day..........
    I often spend a "long frustrating" evening in my local pub and can't remember what I said or indeed what I didn't say!

Anyhow spot on for the Sun picking up on that.
  • MattC59
    edited September 2012
    mamba80 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

But your nephews musings are relevant are they????

They're relevant to the paragraph that you cut out, which started with "On another note...", thus distinguishing it from the previous paragraph. Selective quoting at its best.
  • Anyone actually looked up the dictionary definition of a 'Plebeian' ?

I guess not as it could be an accurate description of many policemen, not that the term is particularly relevant to modern life. The plod was probably more upset for not actually knowing what it meant, or even more so when finding out that the guy couldn't be arrested as its non-threatening, non-hostile and most likely accurate. Its a complete non-story as the guy cannot be arrested for what he said.

Strange that in the month that the police 'logs and evidence' from Hillsborough is turned out to be a pack of lies, that the 'logs' in this case are being treated as gospel isn't it ? Its almost as if the police are trying to pull on heart strings to deflect their current difficulty.

Police, political - surely not.

This guys a pleb for certain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -moon.html
  • MattC59
  • MattC59
    pb21 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

No, it's the use of the word "pleb", which, personally if don't find offensive at all. I think it far worse to be called a f*cking c*nt, or f*cking ar*e hole. Perhaps he just doesn't use that sort of language ? Even if he does, how do you know that the policeman in question wasn't behaving like a pleb ?

Playing devils advocate here, as there's an awful lot of assumptions being made from everybody who has made comment on the subject (both here and in the media).
  • pb21
    MattC59 wrote:
    pb21 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

No, it's the use of the word "pleb", which, personally if don't find offensive at all. I think it far worse to be called a f*cking c*nt, or f*cking ar*e hole. Perhaps he just doesn't use that sort of language ? Even if he does, how do you know that the policeman in question wasn't behaving like a pleb ?

Playing devils advocate here, as there's an awful lot of assumptions being made from everybody who has made comment on the subject (both here and in the media).

Jeez, do you work for the tory party or something?!

You don’t behave like a pleb, you are one, do you know what it means?

It’s not that he lost his rag or was offensive, it’s his attitude towards, and opinion of the police, as determined by the way he spoke and interacted with them. Namely they are ‘ducking plebs who should know their place’.
    Mañana
  • MattC59
    pb21 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    pb21 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Jeez, do you work for the tory party or something?!
    No.

You don’t behave like a pleb, you are one, do you know what it means?
    If you're not a pleb, but behave in such a manner, then you're behaving like a pleb.

It’s not that he lost his rag or was offensive, it’s his attitude towards, and opinion of the police, as determined by the way he spoke and interacted with them. Namely they are ‘ducking plebs who should know their place’.
    Which is what I meant by the 'use of the word pleb' and assumptions made.
  • pb21
    Well he should come out then and say what he said and what he meant, otherwise we have to take it at face value.

Anyway he also said other things like 'know your ducking place' which lends itself to assume how he was thinking.
    Mañana
  • MattC59
    pb21 wrote:
    Well he should come out then and say what he said and what he meant, otherwise we have to take it at face value.

Totally agree, but that's the problem, people don't take it at face value. You end up with a situation of 'he said this, therefore...........'. It's the 'therefore' bit which may or may not be correct.