New Arrival

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

When you realise its the closest you will get to a social life, you'll change.
    This.

And
    Besides, the supermarket is a convenient play house for a two year old and a convenient way to spend an hour or so that doesn't involve watching Peppa Pig or bouncing on a trampoline with them.

Going to the Supermarket is like a date. In fact spending time exploring the various shopping centres around London is like an adventure unto itself. Large supermarkets and shopping centres are great, there is always something to keep the lil'one happy, the other half is happy because you've spent time with the family and if your smart you'll get the knack for window shopping while actually not spending anything. Also the aisles are wide enough and flat enough to truly enjoy your Television expensive pushchair.

Besides if you let her go by herself she'll only call you downstairs to help carry the shopping up - which will end in an argument even if you did nothing wrong. Or she'll send you back out to get stuff she couldn't carry. And yes, we get our shopping delivered. Also, try as hard as any man might, there are times with a baby that only Mum will do.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    SimonAH wrote:
    The only kit bought new new were bottles and teats.
    Nappies?
    Regarding the supermarket be careful when they start toddling. Sam once got behind the photobooth machine and turned it off as we were at the till. Problem being someone was in there. Ooops.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Ok. Please can someone explain this to me. Why are supermarkets full of couples shopping with baby? Strikes me as complete madness. We get most of our shopping delivered these days, but have agreed that when we are both at home and need something from the shop, then one will go and the other will stay at home with the kid. If the missus wants to gout out shopping, I'll happily babysit.

Having shopping delivered when using 12,000 nappies a month is a blessing. There are better things to do in life than fighting through a supermarket with a pushchair.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    If you aren't fussy, Freecycle often has babystuff on it (including pushchairs). We have used it to give kids' stuff away, typically items that friends can't use.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I'm late to this gathering but congrats IP. Also looking forward to reading about the changes you'll find yourself making despite your current assertions.

Listen to the ones who have gone before.......... :D
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Hey Jash, great news! Well done and look forwards to you gaining big weight and slowing right down
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2012
    rjsterry wrote:
    ...Have to say though, I am not looking forward to spending money on stuff that will be rendered obsolete in short order.

They're only obsolete until no. 2 turns up...

For some reason buggies/prams/pushchairs rarely seem designed to carry lots of shopping, but this is the one thing that they will all be required to do: carry 3 or 4 bags of shopping, plus change bag, plus coat, plus... all slung over the handles. Buy one that can take the load; it won't fall apart and will still be worth something when you come to get rid of it.

Ok. Please can someone explain this to me. Why are supermarkets full of couples shopping with baby? Strikes me as complete madness. We get most of our shopping delivered these days, but have agreed that when we are both at home and need something from the shop, then one will go and the other will stay at home with the kid. If the missus wants to gout out shopping, I'll happily babysit.

You have so much to learn, young padowan...

Couples + a newborn become institutionalised at home. Going out appears to be a monumentally difficult logistical exercise. So when they do decide to go out en famille, they aim for somewhere "safe" and familiar. With a wheely thing that means they don't have to carry anything. It ends up passing itself off as a sort of family outing.

You may also find in the early days that allowing one partner to duck under the fence, so to speak, can end up being perceived as lumbering the other unfairly with the burden of babycare whilst the escaper has a good time. I'm not kidding when I say that you will not really understand how much free time you have now until after junior arrives.

PS: the papoose is a stellar piece of kit. Don't be surprised if you're the only one of you who views it as the preferred carrying option though.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T wrote:
    Hey Jash, great news! Well done and look forwards to you gaining big weight and slowing right down

<snigger>

Apparently the weight limit on a Dogma is 240lbs.

Chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp, buuurrrrpppp, chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:

Couples + a newborn become institutionalised at home. Going out appears to be a monumentally difficult logistical exercise. So when they do decide to go out en famille, they aim for somewhere "safe" and familiar. With a wheely thing that means they don't have to carry anything. It ends up passing itself off as a sort of family outing.

You may also find in the early days that allowing one partner to duck under the fence, so to speak, can end up being perceived as lumbering the other unfairly with the burden of babycare whilst the escaper has a good time. I'm not kidding when I say that you will not really understand how much free time you have now until after junior arrives.
    Absolutely correct.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:

Post Bianchi I was up to 89kg . . . .

Didn't get out at the weekend for a full 18 months. . . .

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

<snigger>

Well, it is a heavy bike. Well built ;).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I can count the weekend rides I've had in the last 3 years on one hand. Moving into a hose that needed a lot doing to it didn't help, but tbh, I'm too knackered after a week of 30+ miles a day on limited sleep. The commute keeps the weight steady, but I do long for a country lane.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I'm finding it hard to believe that I won't be able to get out at the weekend at all. We agreed pre-conception that we'd do our best to give each other personal time (accepting that there would be less of this). I'm hoping that I'll still be able to manage a couple of hours sometime on a sat/sun, and will then manage baby while she does her thing. I;ve often been up at 5 to go riding this summer, so hopefully I'll be able to do early morning baby duty and then hit the road. If the worst comes to the worst I can always lap RP and she can call me home if required.

Well, that's my plan anyway.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

<snigger>

Funny how the extra weight doesn't prevent me from going up hills at a decent pace though...

:P
  • Greg T
    I'm finding it hard to believe that I won't be able to get out at the weekend at all. We agreed pre-conception that we'd do our best to give each other personal time

You do know that they go absolutely and completely batshit mental don't you?

If you get out to buy milk in a 48hr window over the weekend you'll be doing well . . . .

• Greg T wrote:
    I'm finding it hard to believe that I won't be able to get out at the weekend at all. We agreed pre-conception that we'd do our best to give each other personal time

You do know that they go absolutely and completely batshit mental don't you?

If you get out to buy milk in a 48hr window over the weekend you'll be doing well . . . .

Who goes mental? Wife or Baby (or both)?

Starting to question if this was a good idea...
  • Greg T
    Who goes mental? Wife or Baby (or both)?

Baby is in nuetral - baby just tries to survive in a harsh world, mainly by screwing your life up to gain from the karma give-back. Some babies are allegedly easy - sleep, eat, giggle, pooh roses, don't cry. Some Babies don't sleep, son't eat, scream for hours on end. Most babies do a bit a both. One thing to remember is all parents lie about how "good" their babies are and how they are coping . . .

Wifey however , , , ,

Goes mental.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

<snigger>

Funny how the extra weight doesn't prevent me from going up hills at a decent pace though...

:P

Imagine how fast you would have gone. ;)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Greg66 wrote:

PS: the papoose is a stellar piece of kit. Don't be surprised if you're the only one of you who views it as the preferred carrying option though.

+2 (we had twins)

Your life, as you knew it, is over, you will need to adapt.

You will have to get your hands dirty, in more ways than one. So much changes, but it's lots of fun (sometimes)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I'm finding it hard to believe that I won't be able to get out at the weekend at all. We agreed pre-conception that we'd do our best to give each other personal time (accepting that there would be less of this). I'm hoping that I'll still be able to manage a couple of hours sometime on a sat/sun, and will then manage baby while she does her thing. I;ve often been up at 5 to go riding this summer, so hopefully I'll be able to do early morning baby duty and then hit the road. If the worst comes to the worst I can always lap RP and she can call me home if required.

Oh! You agreed, did you? You should have said! That makes all the difference in the world. If you've got an agreement, you're fine. You'll be able to wheel out the agreement on a regular basis, you'll both sit down, reflect on it, then implement and abide by the terms of the agreement.

Or not.

I'm going to go with, ummmm, not.

You mention the agreement and get away without an episode of the Mental and/or tears, I'll give you a shiny one pound coin.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Cafewanda
    I'll add 50p to that too! :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    edited September 2012
    il Prince, your life will change.

You will have less time to yourself. Sometimes you will have no time to yourself. Sometimes you will give up your freetime so she can have some. Sometime she'll take the freetime promised to you as her own. Everything gets negotiated: who does the nightshift, nappy changing, feeds (if the baby is on the bottle - this actually helped me bond with my son early on I really appreciated it but felt bad that Ms DDD didn't get to breast feed).

She will go batshit mental. Unreasonably so even for a batshit mental person.

Sometimes the bike will excite you but you find yourself choosing not to ride it so you can spend extra time with the baby. I've taken to riding Karen to work so she gets ridden. I understand now why there are guys riding insane carbon bikes to work, simply so they get ridden. On the weekends I don't like riding too far as I may need to get back quickly. - This is why a car comes in useful, also taking her to the hospital during and after pregnancy. A car makes life so much more easier.

Sometimes your energy levels will be too low to even contemplate riding the bike - and it gets harder, but more fun when they start moving about.

You'll stop caring about fashion and style and assume that 'worn in patient Dad look'.

You will spend money, you won't know where, how or why but you will spend money. And when you think you've got a handle on things the baby will have outgrown/broken everything you've bought so you will need to buy more stuff.

Enjoy it. It is fun, just let Fatherhood happen.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Doom-mongers. I'll find a way.

Stupid babies.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    A conversation between my cousin and a friend of hers. One had a good baby that woke up once a night for a feed, the other a difficult baby that woke up 3 times a night. After a while it became clear that the babies were waking up at about the same times most nights. It's just that my cousin considered the feed at 11pm and 6.30am as not being part of her night's sleep, whilst her friend counted the night as being from 7pm until about 9am.
    Perspective can have quite an effect on how good or bad a baby is.
  • Cafewanda
    I vote we install spycams in the Principe household for 12-18 months and show Daddy the changes he's trying to resist :lol:
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:
    You mention the agreement and get away without an episode of the Mental and/or tears, I'll give you a shiny one pound coin.

I'd pay per view to watch Jash, fully kitted up, little bike cap on, bike leaning against the door frame, wearing his best "little boy wronged" face in all seriousness say this
    "Sweetheart, I did my turn yesterday. You went out and bought the nappies, had your nipples re-stapled, bought more washing powder and enjoyed your self for a couple of hours whilst I looked after Orbea, just after you had fed her, when she was asleep, just before she woke up when you got back to re-feed her AND i did the washing up.

now it's my turn to go out, we had an agreement - don't you remeber - jaysus talk about baby brain, also you aren't eating for two now Tubster! Time to lay off the Cadburys and get back on the ab-monator"

• Greg T wrote:
    I'd pay per view to watch Jash, fully kitted up, little bike cap on, bike leaning against the door frame, wearing his best "little boy wronged" face in all seriousness say this
    "Sweetheart, I did my turn yesterday. You went out and bought the nappies, had your nipples re-stapled, bought more washing powder and enjoyed your self for a couple of hours whilst I looked after Orbea, just after you had fed her, when she was asleep, just before she woke up when you got back to re-feed her AND i did the washing up.

:lol:

Strava says you've managed a fair bit of riding this summer though, so I'm staying optimistic.
  • Greg T
    Strava says you've managed a fair bit of riding this summer though, so I'm staying optimistic.

She's Four . . . .

Batshit Crazy is like nuclear waste - yes it's toxic and will killl you but it has a half life of about two years.

• Greg T wrote:

She's Four . . . .

Batshit Crazy is like nuclear waste - yes it's toxic and will killl you but it has a half life of about two years.

How time flies.
  • DonDaddyD
    Edit edit.
    Food Chain number = 4