Unusual things you see...

2»

Comments

• big p wrote:
    i was sat in a cafe in banff in Canada one morning when a moose just strolled up and stood looking through the window for about 10 minutes at all the cakes on display, that was quite unusual.
    Probably an elk, not a moose. They do wander through Banff in the winter to get at the little bits of exposed greenery.

Being used to Surrey, I went cycling near my parents' place in rural Gloucestershire. I was humming along a stretch of narrow, single lane road when I saw a white Range Rover coming towards me. The driver pulled in to a layby to let me pass - didn't have to slow down or anything. To someone from Surrey, that is unusual.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Many years ago i was around my cousin's house and we were sitting out the front. Over the (very wide) road on the other side an old boy got in his car to reverse out of his drive.

Suddenly there was a lot of revving and his car sped backwards and half way into his hedge. More revving and he shoots forwards and into the brick built bay window. More revving and he's in the hedge again and then the car engine finally stops.

Turns out he had a right knee that would 'lock'. It locked when he had his foot on the accelerator and instead of turning the engine off he panicked and kept on switching the auto into reverse, forward, reverse again.

Trashed his car, his hedge and the brickwork on his house :lol::cry:
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    I spotted a woman with two young kids in the back of her car pull out of a side road ahead of me in Balham yesterday morning. A strange noise was coming from the car and I realised she had a flat front nearside tyre.

As traffic was slow moving I cycled up alongside her and made the universal sign for 'wind down your window'. She wound it down (well, she pressed a button) and before I even had a chance to say anything she said 'is it about the flat tyre? I noticed that already' and carried on driving.

sheesh! :shock: :roll:
    FCN = 4
  • Was riding down a deserted 'road' that went through the middle of a farmers field on sunday at about 8:45 am, and went past an old man who had parked up and hung a punchbag from a fencepost.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Was riding down a deserted 'road' that went through the middle of a farmers field on sunday at about 8:45 am, and went past an old man who had parked up and hung a punchbag from a fencepost.
    Any banjo duels nearby?
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Was riding down a deserted 'road' that went through the middle of a farmers field on sunday at about 8:45 am, and went past an old man who had parked up and hung a punchbag from a fencepost.
    Any banjo duels nearby?

No but I felt uneasy going past him he had a look of 'serial killer' about him. I thought he was burying a prostitute at first!
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I was out with a mate on Friday evening, getting a few miles in round the streets of Caversham when we were accosted by a young man in a mankini. Said gentleman proceeded to chase us up towards one of the local hills offering Tour de France style encouragement - his exuberance only extinguished by an anguished cry and a statement of 'oh shit, my packet's come out'. Much to the delight of the local yummy mummies no doubt.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I spotted a woman with two young kids in the back of her car pull out of a side road ahead of me in Balham yesterday morning. A strange noise was coming from the car and I realised she had a flat front nearside tyre.

As traffic was slow moving I cycled up alongside her and made the universal sign for 'wind down your window'. She wound it down (well, she pressed a button) and before I even had a chance to say anything she said 'is it about the flat tyre? I noticed that already' and carried on driving.

sheesh! :shock: :roll:
    I chased a car down the road on the way to work once, taking a de tour so I could catch up with them to point out a flat tyre. When I told her she went "Yeah, I know, do you think I shouldn't drive on it?" I told her that no, I didn't think she should.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I know a man who swears he saw Llamas on the Tourmalet.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    b00rr5q3_640_360.jpg

??
    FCN 3 / 4
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    CIMG0212.jpg
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    big p wrote:
    i was sat in a cafe in banff in Canada one morning when a moose just strolled up and stood looking through the window for about 10 minutes at all the cakes on display, that was quite unusual.

Poor sod had probably forgotten his wallet.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hee!

I had to pop into TKMax on Saturday, took the fixeh with the belt drive and the orange rims inside the shop with me (no lock) and leant it on the inside of the shop window.

Keeping an eye on it as I queued at the till I could see a couple stop and with the man pointing at bits of it to the woman. They were then joined by a couple of blokes, and then another young couple - stopped as well. By the time I sauntered over and picked up the bike there was a small crowd looking at my bike in the shop window! Total weirdness :-)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Frank Bruno shaking hand with the Yorkshire Ripper under the watchful eye of Jimmy Saville

SNN2501Asutcliffe_740914a.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Frank Bruno shaking hand with the Yorkshire Ripper under the watchful eye of Jimmy Saville

is that like a weird drug induced dream?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Frank Bruno shaking hand with the Yorkshire Ripper under the watchful eye of Jimmy Saville

WT actual F?
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565

:lol::lol::lol::lol: That's an ace picture.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I know a man who swears he saw Llamas on the Tourmalet.

There were certainly llamas (llamae?) on Aspin a fortnight ago, so Tourmalet isn't too great a stretch.
  • mtb-idle
    2011-12-28-jimmy-saville-bicycle-bike.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    I want a rear wheel the same as this one

stonglight.JPG
    FCN = 4
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    People stuck in traffic sitting in a traffic jam, surely there is nothing more stupid 0 mpg
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Actually saw an elephant walk down the road outside my house one day when I was about 6 years old. My mother didn't believe me until she saw it for herself. Given that we live in Exeter and not Kenya, this was an unusal occurance. Turned out the circus was in town and they walked the elephants from the train station to the circus site.

Saw a man walking down the road in Camden wearing a lampshade on his head, however I feel that because this was Camden this perhaps wasn't that unsual :lol:

Watching my friend, two ATC officers and a load of Air Cadets dancing to 'Gangnam Style' a couple weeks back at a mess dinner was both unusal and disturbing at the same time :lol:

Last month while on field assessment (OK in Wales so shouldn't be so unusal!) I woke up at 5am in my bivi to find a sheep staring at me :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    NGale wrote:

Last month while on field assessment (OK in Wales so shouldn't be so unusal!) I woke up at 5am in my bivi to find a sheep staring at me :shock:

was it a fun night?

oh that reminds me, can i have my velcro gloves back please
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    mudcow007 wrote:
    NGale wrote:

was it a fun night?

oh that reminds me, can i have my velcro gloves back please

The harbour area full of cadets heard a scream followed by 'WHAT THE F***!!' before seeing who they now have christened 'Mint Sauce' wondering away from my bivi.

oh and the velcro gloves, you'll need to speak to one of the Truro cadets about those :roll: :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    I want a rear wheel the same as this one

stonglight.JPG
    When I got rear ended by a rover a while back on my MTB my rear wheel did almost as much damage to the bumper of that as in the photo. :D

Wheel wasn't exactly true after the event but it was ridable (just about ;))

Mike
  • NGale wrote:
    Saw a man walking down the road in Camden wearing a lampshade on his head, however I feel that because this was Camden this perhaps wasn't that unsual :lol:

No that's standard.

He was probably just feeling a little lightheaded.

I bet he was on Northern Electric - our lights are always going out too.

I often do the same - wear shades when I don't want to be recognised.

IGMC
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem