Unusual things you see...

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Just walked to a local shop to get my sugar fix when i hear a noise like grinding metal, i turn around an there is a transit van with no rear wheels just the wheel hubs/ what was left of disks being towed by another van doing about 40 mph with sparks n dust trailing behind it

gotta admit, thats something ive never seen before
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• mudcow007 wrote:
    Just walked to a local shop to get my sugar fix when i hear a noise like grinding metal, i turn around an there is a transit van with no rear wheels just the wheel hubs/ what was left of disks being towed by another van doing about 40 mph with sparks n dust trailing behind it

That is unusual, don't they normally just take the hub caps in Liverpool? :wink:
  • This morning, it was pretty rainy up here. Travelling through Musselburgh, I spotted someone riding along wearing one of the proper old-skool rain capes:

Cat-CatWearingRainCape.jpg

They're ridiculous enough, but this guy was riding along without mudguards and you could actually see the spray dripping down the waterproof inside of the cape.

Edit: Yes, just to make Rick break into sweats, I posted a picture of a wet pussy.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I remember following a pair of equidistantlines in the road. which then ran into a pub wall. backed off and then continued a bit further.

Some pissed up driver had lost both tyres and still carried on.

end of the '80s ish.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    There's a guy who walks around Fulham in the weekend with a real life Parrot on each shoulder.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mudcow007 wrote:

That is unusual, don't they normally just take the hub caps in Liverpool? :wink:

your kidding arn't you? around here they do the full monty an just take the whole car
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I saw a (presumably nicked) car stopped in the middle of a residential street one morning. Stopped, not parked, with only the sidewalls of the driver's side tyres still attached to the rims.

Followed the trail of bits of rubber and damaged street furniture for a bit, then spotted one tyre in a hedge about 5 miles further along my journey, and the other another mile along from that :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Driving a van down the M6 about 2am at about 80ish I slowly overtook a Ford granada. He then overtook me doing over 100mph. After a good few miles I creep passed again. He rockets passed me again. Eventually I creep by once more. He shoots by once more but as he pulls across the front of me his offside rear wheel comes off.
    The car pulled over onto the hard shoulder, bouncing on the rear brake with sparks flying. I followed the wheel for over a mile before the motorway took a gentle right and the wheel bounced off into some fields, still travelling at about 50mph.
    This was also in the late 80's.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Saw a speedboat once, embedded into the grassy bank at the side of the road halfway up the Rhigos mountain.

And yesterday a woman with one of those scraped up hairdos with a really tight bun right on the top. No, not unusual, but the bun bit was bright red and the rest of the hair blonde. I had an overpowering urge to whistle the William Tell overture.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    The other day, driving south on the A217 near Burgh Heath, I spotted a man in full traditional Arab dress (thawb and keffiyeh) on a mobility scooter riding down the deserted pavement (this stretch is dual carriageway with woodland either side; the nearest housing is a couple of miles in either direction).

A day or two later, I got home late to find the chap over the road trimming his hedge...in the dark...with a chainsaw :shock:

Oddly, when it came to sweeping up the clippings, he went to get a torch.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Driving a van down the M6 about 2am at about 80ish I slowly overtook a Ford granada. He then overtook me doing over 100mph. After a good few miles I creep passed again. He rockets passed me again. Eventually I creep by once more. He shoots by once more but as he pulls across the front of me his offside rear wheel comes off.
    The car pulled over onto the hard shoulder, bouncing on the rear brake with sparks flying. I followed the wheel for over a mile before the motorway took a gentle right and the wheel bounced off into some fields, still travelling at about 50mph.
    This was also in the late 80's.

I was once IN a mini-bus on a dual-carriageway and witnessed our own near-side rear wheel over-taking us. It bounced along at a fair old clip, cleared the armco and bounced clear over a car coming the other way.

We were on our way to a charity parachute jump, to this day I'm not sure what was more scary.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Travelling down a dual carriageway a car goes past me in the opposite direction, 30s delay whilst my brain catches up to realise that he's travelling the wrong way down the dual carriageway.
  • Oh, and my ex-missus had this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/arti ... ture.shtml tornado pass right in front of her car.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Some guys pants fall out of his shorts as he was cycling along.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    Some guys pants fall out of his shorts as he was cycling along.

:D:D:D
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    A past TdF winner does laps of The Regent's Park. It's not every day you see a past TdF winner.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    We were on our way to a charity parachute jump, to this day I'm not sure what was more scary.
    I would not get out of a perfectly serviceable plane that's gonig to land anyway. That's just silly.
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    A car collision today but not the usual sort.

A car had mounted a kerb and crashed into some poor unsuspecting persons wall. Another 25m down the road another car parked on the side with a broken windscreen on the left hand side.

Very strange, the road is dead straight and usually has cars parked along the side of it..
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I would not get out of a perfectly serviceable plane that's gonig to land anyway. That's just silly.

First time I ever flew as well.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    First time in a plane and you get out before it's landed. You're doing it wrong mate.
  • One morning I saw a woman in a Focus with two small kids in the back driving with no tyre on the rear drivers side, sparks flying and horrible noise. While doing this she was frantically shouting down her mobile at someone, presumably that there was something up with her car.

Also once a bus driving around with the engine bay on fire, I warned him but he ignored me, shortly later saw the same bus full of smoke and panicking passengers.

Early one morning stopped for breakfast at the motorway services with my colleague, once back on the motorway the first thing that struck us was that it was completely deserted, the second odd thing was a horse galloping towards us, and then a rolling roadblock of police cars traveling down the wrong side in pursuit of the horse.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a train engine stop at a building site, extend wheels with tyres and drive off the tracks.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I once saw a bloke in what I consider to be traditional Muslim dress (like this) detail.jpg
    rollerblading backwards through heavy traffic in central London.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Some years ago I was going back home on the M1 from Kegworth back to J21 & beyond, when the whole of the northbound was suddenly swarming with ambulances & fire engines in a bit of a rush. Turned out a plane had crashed onto the embankment just short of Donnington airport a couple of minutes after I'd jumped on to the m/way. It made the news, for some weeks after.
  • on the way home last night, bloke riding his bike with one had and the other on another bike he was wheeling along, this was on the A11 near stratford, I don't know how he managed to brake in time he wasn't going slow :shock:

CIB I remember that crash well, I was at my grandma's in shepshed when it crashed came over the motorway 30 mins later to a sea of blue lights.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    A few years ago cycling in the Juras with the family my son is ahead on his bike, rounds a corner, suddenly he comes speeding back shouting that theres a camel in the road. Did we believe him! Of course not, next we round the corner and there it is , standing in the middle of the road eating the hedge. Turns out a small circus had set up camp in the nearby field and let the camels loose to graze.

Today saw a MTBer in proper kit and good bike heading into central London with a dog in a doggy backpack (like those baby carriers).

Oh, afew years ago, late 90s out near henley on thames, my wife and I saw some teenagers (boys and girls) hanging aound a convertable at the side of a round. One of the boys jumps into the car and accelerates hard, looses control and smashes into the wall, barely missing some of his friends. Luckily no one was badly hurt.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I once saw a bloke in what I consider to be traditional Muslim dress (like this)
    rollerblading backwards through heavy traffic in central London.

I think I can beat that one. A couple of years back I saw a young, Muslim girl walking along wearing a niqab, nothing too unusual, but on her lower half she was wearing the most insanely short skirt, stockings and suspenders.

I can just imagine her Dad saying, "No way are you going out dressed like that, young lady. For chuff's sake, cover your face!"
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Again in the late 1980s, on holiday in a French village, I saw a very drunk french man in a Renault 4 trying to drive round a street corner. The corner was defined by a stone house and he managed to get the car stuck after a few minutes driving back and forwards his car door caved in, which he put into the back of the car. However he then drove forwards a little which meant that the petrol cap then caught on the house corner. Eventually the car levered the cap off, after ripping round the metal in which the tank sat (luckily not damaging the petrol tank too much).

He then drove a few hundred yards and parked by the river. As you can imagine from this description, he wasn't really able to walk.

It was mid afternoon, and amongst the audience were a couple of gendarmes who didn't care.

The scary thing was that he obviously realised that he couldn't just drive around without a petrol cap, so for the rest of the holiday, we saw him driving round with a rag stuffed into the outside of the petrol tank. He spent several days driving round in a car that he'd turned into a Molotov cocktail. :shock:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Yesterday morning, I saw a taxi driving along this segregated cycle lane alongside the A56 in Manchester.

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.4717,- ... 84,,0,5.46
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Last week I saw a Rasta riding a hardtail MTB (or possibly a hybrid) riding on the pavement.

What was unusual was that he was wheelieing the bike because there was no front wheel and the fork had been sawn off about a third of the way down.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There used to be an old Churchill tank close to where I live, on land next to an industrial estate. Amazingly it was stolen!
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    i was sat in a cafe in banff in Canada one morning when a moose just strolled up and stood looking through the window for about 10 minutes at all the cakes on display, that was quite unusual.