Recommend me a Turbo - please

BowtomePhil
BowtomePhil Posts: 198
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
I am so confuddled.

I have been researching for weeks, everytime I decide on one, I see an article about another one.

My musts:

Foldable, so easy to store.
Has to have a computer to see how far I go in an hour for example, see if I can beat it later.
The front wheel mount thingy(Getting technical now)
£200-£300

I have my ideas, would like to hear yours.
Also should it be wireless computer or wired for more accuracy?

Thanks

Comments

• Most often don't come with things like the front wheel mount or a mat for underneath which can get covered in sweat. Plus I have a bike thong (careful when you google that) which covers the bar and is machine washable and saves on cleaning the bike fame from corrosive salty sweat.

As for computer you would find much of a difference in accuracy with a wired or wireless one - but you will find as you go up the range and find wireless versions they may have more functions which you may or may not find useful.

As with buying a bike the best thing to do is get down to a few shops and try them out.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I have Bikes already thanks.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    UTFS
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    7987722125_4b3a3dedd0.jpg
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • I've been going through the same dilemma recently and eventually plumped for the TACX FLOW 2012. Slightly more than your budget but it comes with a Computer and a Front Wheel Stand. It can be updated at a later date to a Full VR machine by buying the software and a steering frame.

The best deal I found was at Brenin Bikes
    http://www.breninbikes.co.uk/inc/sdetail/537/1048
    same as this one http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tac ... r-ec005813
    I notice they've increased the price slightly in the last 2-3 weeks cause I got it for £296. Free delivery and arrived within 2 days.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Buy a well-known brand that’s had good reviews. That way when you put in on eBay in a couple of months after realising you never use it you’ll get more of your money back.
  • :-) good advice from ju5t1n.....
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    UTFS

Never heard of that make, any good?
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    Buy a well-known brand that’s had good reviews. That way when you put in on eBay in a couple of months after realising you never use it you’ll get more of your money back.

I'm sure that not all of us are useless, lazy-arse wasters who can't stay motivated to get on the turbo. There must be someone out there who actually uses these things.
  • Its dark here now after 7pm and will get cold, I have dropped 1 stone 2pounds now and want to keep it off, its will power. I have that.

I just sold my excercise bike and used that loads, not the same as being on a proper bike, so Turbo it is.
  • You'll be fine then. I use the turbo all year long when I can't go out in the morning and have to train since the traffic is impossible in the afternoon (I do go out in the rain/cold instead of turbo though, but I don't mind rain/cold at all). It just takes willpower like you said.

My suggestion would be a Tacx Flow. I think it did come with the front wheel stand as I have one and don't remember buying one (I have this turbo for ages so it's a little fuzzy). It also has a computer with speed (irrelevant), HR, cadence and virtual power. The power is not that accurate but it's consistent provided you keep the same tyre pressure, etc, so it's great for training.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    I use a Tacx Satori, it doesn't have a computer but I used a Cateye Strada computer with it for years (it runs off the back wheel so gives you timing and speed) recently got a Garmin 500 and this works well as it can run off the back wheel too.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-satori-hig ... e-trainer/
  • Just been looking at the Garmin 500, it says GPS only, so how can it run off back wheel(excuse my ignorance)
  • Hmm, like the idea of a cheaper turbo(Just in case I ebay it) and then a wireless computer for back wheel, lot cheaper option.

Got me thinking now.....dam, I wanted it easy : )
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Just been looking at the Garmin 500, it says GPS only, so how can it run off back wheel(excuse my ignorance)

GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor.
    More problems but still living....
  • Cool Thanks

Liking the idea of the Satori with a wireless computer on the back, although the strada says 27cm transmission distance, yet the back fork to the handlebar maybe a bit more. I guess it will still work in a garage okay.
  • Problem resolved, I ordered a Satori and a Wireless Strada.

I got my local shop to price match, so for both is costing £192.

Seems cheap.

Thanks all
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Satori is good, good workout, strada wireless doesnt work on back wheel, loses signal when comp mounted up front. To be honest dont really need to see the MPH, just want distance. So moved comp near back sensor, sensor and comp are talking , just nothing happens when cycling, I have moved the sesnor and magnet to within 5mm, different parts of spoke, even tried two magnets, no dam good.
  • Satori is good, good workout, strada wireless doesnt work on back wheel, loses signal when comp mounted up front. To be honest dont really need to see the MPH, just want distance. So moved comp near back sensor, sensor and comp are talking , just nothing happens when cycling, I have moved the sesnor and magnet to within 5mm, different parts of spoke, even tried two magnets, no dam good.
    Is it paired right?
  • As far as I know and cannot find anything else to say otherwise, it doesnt need pairing. If somebody can tell me how, then I would be very appreciative.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Not being much help... but have had issues with my own Strada even when mounted correctly on front fork and readout on stem.. out riding was far too flaky, and kept dropping.. gave up with it ,was taken off the bike 12 months ago and never used again.. was replaced by Cs200 but now that is superceded with garmin stuff.
    Trying to fudge for rear wheel usage, I wouldnt even bother.
    I must get my unneeded stuff on Ebay
  • Yes I have decided to get a wired back wheel one. I have one on front wheel for proper riding, just wanted seperate one for turbo to see how much I do.....Turbo fullfills my need anyway so am happy.