CTS Trainright DVD's

wacka
wacka Posts: 169
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
I'm just after opinions on Chris Carmichael's training DVD's, are they good and are they worth the money?

Also, what's the best way to incorporate them into a training program?

Cheers

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    No. No.

Dont.

Have a look at www.thesufferfest.com instead. better videos and much cheaper.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    Yes and no. Yes - something to look at while I do 15 x 1min or 4 x 5min as it really helps to motivate me to keep going watching others 'suffering' on the TV. No because it doesn't tell you about the tension needed on the resistance, where it really fits in in the training cycle, whether the 3 x 5mins and the following under and over threshold should be done together or at different times of year etc. Also I am dubious about a training video where the riders are sweating buckets without fans been shown or mentioned.
  • +Many. Bought one CTS Trainright DVD, and have 6 Sufferfest films. CTS is an instructor in a spinning studio with riders, SF is footage of road races/cyclo-cross/TT's and much more interesting & inspirational. I found the constant "good job, great job" comments from the instructor to the riders in the studio horribly fake & "American"...
  • Also have used CTS videos - wouldn't bother now - Sufferfest is much better - more interesting to watch and more variation in the programmes. Though mostly I do 2 x 20 sessions with my own choice of music - teh hour goes qucik enough for me that way.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Depends what you're looking for from your training. I've used the CTS videos in the past, and they're ok for a bit of variation now and then, but most of my training is tempo/time trial stuff now.

Most of the Sufferfest videos are also quite short duration intervals (that I've seen anyway), so they don't seem much better.

Think about what you want from your training and go from there. With cyclingtorrents.nl it's not hard to get good race footage and you can use your own music if you want to have something to watch whilst you train.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    So, what are the sessions on the CTS Power?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    From memory, they're:

1m hard as you can (1m rest)
    2m hard as you can (2m rest)
    3m hard as you can
    4m hard as you can
    3m hard as you can
    2m hard as you can

4m tempo
    2m hard as you can
    2m rest

4m tempo
    3m hard as you can
    3m rest

4m tempo
    4m hard as you can
    4m rest

the end. I think that's right. Don't have the box here with me to check.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kEvPyZNkUo
    ...good job...

give me Trainer Road and an attached 'drop in' Sufferfest anytime... in fact just give me any Trainer Road interval session anytime.