Don't Do It

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
So I went out with work last night and did the Hot Wings Challenge at the Red Dog Saloon on Hoxton Square
http://www.reddogsaloon.co.uk

You have to eat 6 chicken wings drenched in a chilli sauce made of Naga Viper chillies in 5 mins and then have 5 mins "burn time" during which you can't eat or drink anything. I ordered some "for the table" assuming we would all have a try, discuss how hot they were and then leave them but then the waitress brought across the waiver form to sign and before I knew it I had signed and was digging in... Not sure if it was the bravado of being out with work and having drunk a fair few cocktails but it seemed like a good idea.

Anyway the eating process wasn't so bad but once you stop and the "burn time" sets in, it's awful. my face, fingers and every bit of bare skin that had touched the sauce was burning, my gut felt like I had just eaten coals from a BBQ and all I could do was sit there gasping whilst my colleagues cheered me on.

After the 5 mins was up I got some free T shirt (not worth it), rushed down to the loo and tried to make myself sick but nothing would come up.... As I was in the loo random people kept trying to talk to me about it as they came in and all I wanted to do was chuck up on the floor. I seriously thought about dilliang 999 and asking to have my stomach pumped.

In the end I resorted to sucking water straight out of the tap which eventually soothed the burn in my tum. When I got back to the table half the restaurant cheered which was a bit embarrassing but my colleagues had ordered my a massive milkshake which was nice.

My stomach still aches today, especially after eating, I just ate a salad for lunch and the dull ache is back... I hope I haven't seared my stomach lining away...

Don't do it kids... It's NOT fun or clever
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• Man V Food! Man V Food! Man V Food!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Have you had a dump yet? That is going to be Jonny Cash - Ring of Fire time.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    Have you had a dump yet? That is going to be Jonny Cash - Ring of Fire time.

Yes, suprisingly it wasn't as bad as I expected, I've had worse from a vindaloo takeaway... It's more the stomach ache that worries me!
  • Do you know the Scovile score for your 'meal'?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Chilli challenges always end in tears, especially when waiting for a train the next day after end of term and trying not to crap myself before the train arrived. In the end I had to risk it and ended up delivering a salvo at such velocity I didn't need to flush but I couldn't walk properly for days. I think I turned partially inside out after that one. It was the last kebab challenge I ever took.

I used to grow chillies and made chilli and tequila marmalade. The first few attempts were like trying to eat toast with a layer of thermite spread. I also tried chilli nut brittle, which was actually really nice until trying to tongue out the bits stuck to my teeth. Oh, and the stomach cramps, but the hilarity of offering it to colleagues prior to a meeting and hearing the muffled screams coming from the conference room.

Its probably too late now but eat some chocolate, or full fat yoghurt next time.

Naga Viper chillies are around 1.3 million on the Scoville scale... A jalapeno pepper is about 2500....
  • Thank for the advice @Headhuunter. I live just down the road from Hoxton Square and now know where to avoid, or alternatively, take someone for dinner I don't like.

I love my chillis, peppers and hot food like scotch bonnets and above, but that sounds serious. Even though I'm not a doctor I very much doubt you will have caused yourself any long term damage, but your digestive system would have been made to work like a bar steward.

@UndercoverElephant that guy on Man Vs Food is wrong on all kinds of levels. I sometimes watch the programme with the boss and we both agree he must lay more cable that a BT engineer on overtime after eating half a cow, a field of potatoes and finishing it off with an industrial sized freezer's worth of icecream, all in one sitting.

He must be on first name terms with his plumber :S
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • I really like the guy. Apparently he agreed that he'd only do a few series, fasts for the day before a challenge and lives off sushi the rest of the time. He realises that it would be a short-lived career if he didn't take care of himself.

Naga Viper chillies are around 1.3 million on the Scoville scale... A jalapeno pepper is about 2500....
    That's almost weapons gradeDo they have that nasty after taste you get from other naga varieties?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Ride hard wrote:
    Thank for the advice @Headhuunter. I live just down the road from Hoxton Square and now know where to avoid, or alternatively, take someone for dinner I don't like.

I love my chillis, peppers and hot food like scotch bonnets and above, but that sounds serious. Even though I'm not a doctor I very much doubt you will have caused yourself any long term damage, but your digestive system would have been made to work like a bar steward.

@UndercoverElephant that guy on Man Vs Food is wrong on all kinds of levels. I sometimes watch the programme with the boss and we both agree he must lay more cable that a BT engineer on overtime after eating half a cow, a field of potatoes and finishing it off with an industrial sized freezer's worth of icecream, all in one sitting.

The rest of the food was quite nice though, I had a "Devastator" burger as well although after the challenge, I couldn't finish it as my stomach was in shock... You should go there but just don't do the Chicken Wings Challenge

That's almost weapons gradeDo they have that nasty after taste you get from other naga varieties?

On the net it does mention them being used as weapons actually! There were the world's hottest chilli in 2011 but since then they have been superceded... Not sure about the taste I was more concerned about the heat!
  • I really like the guy. Apparently he agreed that he'd only do a few series, fasts for the day before a challenge and lives off sushi the rest of the time. He realises that it would be a short-lived career if he didn't take care of himself.

True. He's a funny guy. A real New Yoiker.

Damn. All this talk about food has got me hungry again. That cheese and mayo sandwich for lunch at my desk (again...sigh) just wasn't doing it.
  • Ride hard wrote:
    Thank for the advice @Headhuunter. I live just down the road from Hoxton Square and now know where to avoid, or alternatively, take someone for dinner I don't like.

The rest of the food was quite nice though, I had a "Devastator" burger as well although after the challenge, I couldn't finish it as my stomach was in shock... You should go there but just don't do the Chicken Wings Challenge

Don't worry. It has been duly noted!

The term 'weapons grade' should never be mentioned in the same sentence as food.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Do you know the Scovile score for your 'meal'?

Im gutted there is no chilli places around liverpool, there are mexican restaurants but the hottest thing they do is chilli con carne

i'm a massive fan of the Naga pepper, its only a recent discovery i think?

headhunter, have you tried Daves "ghost pepper" sauce that has a bit of ump
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I did the fatty arkbuckles challenge when I was young, got a t-shirt and everything
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • If any chilli freaks find themselves in bristol at some point, take a trip to St Nick's market and go and have a look in the Bristol Hot Sauce Emporium. http://www.hotsauceemporium.co.uk

Ive got the Blair's After Death sauce (10+ on their rating) and its truly ridiculous.

Anyone not so inclined to actually try this kind of stuff but enjoys watching someone putting them self through the rigours of testing it...have a look at this guy's youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdWyz4H3 ... ature=plcp

completely bonkers but genial at the same time. How he actually conducts such an in depth review on flavours whilst blowing his knackers off, i'll never know.
  • mudcow007 wrote:

Im gutted there is no chilli places around liverpool, there are mexican restaurants but the hottest thing they do is chilli con carne

Yeah I've heard of the ghost pepper but not tried it... I might avoid chillies for a bit...
  • mudcow007 wrote:

Yeah I've heard of the ghost pepper but not tried it... I might avoid chillies for a bit...
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    This thread title reminds me of a blog I once stumbled upon:

http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,061

To put it into persepctive, (IIRC) pepper spray is around 2 million on the Scoville scale.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mudcow007 wrote:

you have to admit during the pain in your stomach you get an euphoric feeling afterwards an there snowt like a bit of sinus pain off some wasabi

im a chilli head by the way it goes on literally everything from breakfast to dinner

i have issues
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

you have to admit during the pain in your stomach you get an euphoric feeling afterwards an there snowt like a bit of sinus pain off some wasabi

im a chilli head by the way it goes on literally everything from breakfast to dinner

i have issues

Yeah they say it gives feelings of euphoria, can act a a hallucinogen and is even good for lowering blood pressure but all I could think was "b*gger, what have I done to myself..."
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

To put it into persepctive, (IIRC) pepper spray is around 2 million on the Scoville scale.

Sheeeeeesh!!! There are some proper hard S.O.B's on this forum.

@mudcow007 That's the funniest signature I've seen. Is DDD back yet?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Ride hard wrote:
    @mudcow007 That's the funniest signature I've seen. Is DDD back yet?
    I think the full quote was asking whether he was mildly retarded or a sex pest...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    Wimp!!! :wink:

My only bad experience with chillies so far was a nice piece of bread with vinegar and olive oil that had been soaked with bird's eye chillies for a few months. Fairly mild in comparison, but don't breathe it :oops: throat almost completely closed up, I could many tiny baby breaths but no more, and what little air I got in was instantly coughed out again. Lasted about five minutes.
  • Ha your experience sounds identical to the one I had about a month ago at a local place in cardiff. 7 wings covered in naga sauce. 10 minutes to eat them and 5 minutes burn time.

The burn in the mouth, around the mouth on my hands etc was ok. The burning coals in the stomach was something completely else though, christ I didnt know what to do with my self. I think the other people in the restaurant were a bit worried at the sight of me wandering around the place, lieing down, standing up, leaning on their tables.

I have a rather unhealthy collection of hot sauces ranging from tabasco heat up to 4 million scoville stuff. I also have a greenhouse full of Red, white & orange habaneros, trinidad scorpion butch-t, viper nagas, bhut jolokia and a few less hot paper lanterns, numex twilight, etna and royal blacks.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • Ha your experience sounds identical to the one I had about a month ago at a local place in cardiff. 7 wings covered in naga sauce. 10 minutes to eat them and 5 minutes burn time.

The burn in the mouth, around the mouth on my hands etc was ok. The burning coals in the stomach was something completely else though, christ I didnt know what to do with my self. I think the other people in the restaurant were a bit worried at the sight of me wandering around the place, lieing down, standing up, leaning on their tables.

I have a rather unhealthy collection of hot sauces ranging from tabasco heat up to 4 million scoville stuff. I also have a greenhouse full of Red, white & orange habaneros, trinidad scorpion butch-t, viper nagas, bhut jolokia and a few less hot paper lanterns, numex twilight, etna and royal blacks.

Steven Segal ain't got nada on you

@ dhope, I would have loved to have seen the response tfrom triple to that comment! I'm still chuckling to myself.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    When I was in that Newcastle one time, the group I was with ordered one portion of "Curry Hell" at the Rupali, between the table. I think there were 16 of us, but we still didn't finish it.

I like hot sauces though. I've some seriously hot concoctions in my cupboard. Years ago, I thought Encona West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce was hot. Then I thought Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce was hot (around 180,000 Scovilles). At the moment I think Dragon's Blood is hot (800,000-1 million Scovilles); but then there are things like Blair's 3am Reserve (around 2million Scovilles) and even hotter capsaicin extracts (up to 16 million SHU, e.g. Blair's 16 Million Reserve).

http://www.chilliworld.com/factfile/sco ... sauces.asp
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    @HH you need to MTFU dude

plus hot wings are for girls and children however I like the size of that burger challenge that would just about fulfil lunch 1.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It's all about the membranes that get hit.

As a student someone once put a few flakes of that dried Pizza hut wimpy chilli flake stuff in a joint for a sort of russian roulette game joke. I hit it and genuinely could not breathe for a minute. Scariest fckuing 60 seconds of my life.

Just sayin'

Do like my hot sauces though! Endorphins rock.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.