Do the right thing #2

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Another moral dilemma; to maintain the flavour of the previous topic I'll relate a genuine incident, and I won't tell you what I did (until lots of people complain).

You're filtering through narrow gaps in traffic on the New Kings Road at around walking speed, when you wobble, lose your balance and end up leaning against the rear wing of a stationary car. No damage is caused to the car or your bicycle (though your ego is obviously wounded). There is a pavement nearby, red light about 50m ahead, and you are carrying a half-full bidon, medium-sized multi-tool and D lock. What do you do next?

NB: If your answer isn't available in the poll, please select the closest one and then give full details in the thread.
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Blame Wiggle (I selected option 1 as it was closest)
  • Can I just get one thing straight?

Campag or Shimano?
  • tgotb
    Campag or Shimano?
    SRAM
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    It's like an old text adventure game!

I voted ride off, but to clarify, I mean ride off on the pavement.

First though, I would use the multi tool to 'tag' the car, marking my territory. Squirt the bidon backwards as I set off, blinding the driver and giving me a small boost to start. Jump onto the pavement as mentioned, but hop back onto the road just before the red light, to run it. Anyone crossing the road gets D Locked at this point I'm afraid, as I have to get away quickly.

Once safely at work, I would ask what others would have done online, then pretend I did whatever the popular option turns out to be.

All done using Shimpag.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    use the d lock to smash his windscreen - therefore it will look like I deliberately meant to damage his car and didn't fall on it because I am a muppet rider.

If the driver is not wearing a helmet I will also d lock his face - after all it was his fault for not wearing a helmet. Afterwards I would stand my partner under the red light in the hope of making some money so I can get a new aero carbon water bottle holder.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What's to apologise about?

*confused*
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    pangolin wrote:

First though, I would use the multi tool to 'tag' the car, marking my territory. Squirt the bidon backwards as I set off, blinding the driver and giving me a small boost to start. Jump onto the pavement as mentioned, but hop back onto the road just before the red light, to run it. Anyone crossing the road gets D Locked at this point I'm afraid, as I have to get away quickly.

Once safely at work, I would ask what others would have done online, then pretend I did whatever the popular option turns out to be.

All done using Shimpag.

You have been eaten by a grue.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • It depends. It Kate Windsor was in the back with her top off, I'd obviously take her picture with my smart phone while riding no-handed through a red light, and post it in crud catcher (not in bottom bracket).
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2012
    pangolin wrote:

I'd jump into the barrel, then tell Bard to shoot the dragon. :D

Back to the dialemma, lean through the open window and say "Sorry love, I saw you and instantly fell for you."
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,339

*confused*

Same as stumbling into someone in a queue: not a big thing, but polite "sorry!" costs nothing. Also quite a few people view touching their car as something akin to groping them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

*confused*

Same as stumbling into someone in a queue: not a big thing, but polite "sorry!" costs nothing. Also quite a few people view touching their car as something akin to groping them.

Well yeah, I view someone bringing a coffee onto the tube as akin to someone taking a shit in my rucksack but I don't expect an apology.

Jeez.
  • I've said it in the other thread so may as well say it here. Knock one out onto the driver's bonnet in order to confuse them, if it also involves using a bidon, multi-tool or d-lock in any form then so much the better.
  • As a driver, I'd expect an apologetic wave, assuming I noticed. Not stopping or acknowledging would tend to make me more suspicious that the cyclist had damaged the car.

FWIW, I clipped a wing mirror in traffic - immediately turned to check I hadn't damaged it, and gave a thumbs up to the driver with an apologetic look. He waves back, and we go our separate ways. The gesture costs nothing, but it's worth quite a lot.
  • pangolin
    Well yeah, I view someone bringing a coffee onto the tube as akin to someone taking a shoot in my rucksack

Really? Why?!

Bit of a difference in that one is a mistake and generally accepted as not a big problem but not ideal, while the other is just a pet hate of yours they have no idea exists.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452

*confused*

For some drivers, it seems that touching their motor is akin to touching their wife....
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin wrote:
    while the other is just a pet hate of yours they have no idea exists.

Quite.

As is some people's weird reaction to touching their car with your hand.
  • a couple years back I was sitting on my Vespa at the lights when suddenly it got very heavy and started to tip over...

Turned round to find a cheeky mofo cyclist leaning on it - didn't say a word to me, I was a bit pis*ed off to be honest. Couple of years on I realise he was probably clipped in and wouldn't have done it normally...but he could have said 'sorry mate' or something.
  • pangolin
    dhope wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

All done using Shimpag.

You have been eaten by a grue.

>New Game

You are standing in a small clearing surrounded on all sides by dense forest. A narrow path leads North. You have a hardtail MTB with SRAM groupset.

>Ride North
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    am i wearing a helmet?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pangolin wrote:
    >New Game

You are standing in a small clearing surrounded on all sides by dense forest. A narrow path leads North. You have a hardtail MTB with SRAM groupset.

>Ride North

Kate is sat topless on a tree stump. A packet of Haribo and a receipt are lying on the ground. Black runs lead North and East. A red run leads West.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wave an apology.

I have this crackpot theory that behaving nicely on the roads might eventually catch on if we all do it.

If he shouts at you though, then d-lock the count.
  • pangolin
    Rolf F wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    >New Game

>Ride North

Kate is sat topless on a tree stump. A packet of Haribo and a receipt are lying on the ground. Black runs lead North and East. A red run leads West.

>Use Helmet
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tgotb
    mudcow007 wrote:
    am i wearing a helmet?
    How are we supposed to know? This is an internet forum.

Duh!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    pangolin wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

>Use Helmet
    You don't have red hair, by any chance?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mudcow007
    TGOTB wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    am i wearing a helmet?

Duh!

come on set the scene, spill the yarn!!
  • tgotb
    mudcow007 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    am i wearing a helmet?

Duh!

mudcow007 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    am i wearing a helmet?

Duh!

Ok, fair enough. You are wearing a cycling helmet, bib shorts, jersey, black socks and Sidi shoes with SPD cleats. You are riding a cross bike, with knobbly tyres, and wearing a small rucksack.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mudcow007
    TGOTB wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    am i wearing a helmet?

Duh!

mudcow007 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    am i wearing a helmet?

Duh!

Ok, fair enough. You are wearing a cycling helmet, bib shorts, jersey, black socks and Sidi shoes with SPD cleats. You are riding a cross bike, with knobbly tyres, and wearing a small rucksack.

cape?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pangolin wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    >New Game

>Ride North

>Use Helmet

You do not have the helmet (you are a reckless fool who probably runs red lights).

Faster than a tent.......
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Rolf F wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    >New Game

>Ride North

>Use Helmet

You do not have the helmet (you are a reckless fool who probably runs red lights).

>examine receipt
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tgotb
    mudcow007 wrote:
    cape?
    Old-school over-the-handlebars cape, folded up inside the rucksack. Not one of those newfangled Superman jobs...
    Pannier, 120rpm.