Brrrrrrrr....!!

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Only 5C outside this morning and threatening rain. Heading towards winter at a pace....
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Same here, in a couple of hollows it felt like there might be a hint of frost - no sparkles on the road thankfully.
    Wasn't much warmer last night going home, and it was chucking with rain.
    Here's Glencoe:
    file.php?2,file=8359
  • Not to rub it in or anything but its a sunny 13C in the big smoke

I was too hot in my armwarmers and gillet this morning. 8)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    it was about 12C here this morning but with a chilly wind

im not looking forward to winter
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Are DBH Aeron 3/4 lengths the best VFM bibs around for this upcoming cooler weather?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-race- ... bib-short/
  • A sunny 8 degrees here, not exactly warm, but not too chilly yet.
  • Yesterday morning saw the long sleeve jersey deployed for the first time for several months, if anything it was even cooler this morning.

It's bright and dry though, happy commuting mornings:-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Had the sleeves on for a week or two now but this morning was the first time the arms felt chilly. It was a long-sleeve top plus gillet (no sleeves) this morning. After a couple of miles it wasn't an issue, so was about right probably.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    lots of folk out there in the "boil in the bag" jackets, still in shorts and short sleeves, although I did have a LS on last week but within a couple of miles regretted it.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Not looking forward to winter, this morning (10c leaving home) had me in a base layer and long sleeve top plus undergloves and mitts after getting cold last night on way home. I seem to be feeling it a bit more than usual....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    This was the scene outside my window this morning in sarf landan...

293243119_513b568f8a.jpg
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Sketchley wrote:
    Not looking forward to winter, this morning (10c leaving home) had me in a base layer and long sleeve top plus undergloves and mitts after getting cold last night on way home. I seem to be feeling it a bit more than usual....

If you are feeling it you might be coming down with something, that is a warning sign with me anyway.
  • kelsen wrote:
    This was the scene outside my window this morning in sarf landan...

293243119_513b568f8a.jpg

I see you were able to get a bit closer than you were to Kate :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Well - it looks as though the day is going to peak at 8C - pi55ing with rain right now too.

I've also been playing "charger chicken" with my Di2 system to see how low it would go before it stopped working.....

.....this morning I found out :roll: :lol:

Fortunately I only lost the front mech (its "Idiot Alert") and my local Alpine Bikes has a charger and a nice cafe :D

800 miles and something over 45 hours of riding since I last charged it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    In the big smoke - rode in with lycra shorts and top - but it being a bit chillier meant I did wear a base layer - tips of my fingers were a little chilly - but I was in fingerless gloves.
  • big smoke here too (although come in from the depths of Surrey)

leg warmers, merino socks, full-finger light gloves, long-sleeve top.

But I am a pussy
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I've been wearing knee warmers for the last few mornings as it's a bit chilly and my knees are making horrible clonking noises as I walk. I've been wearing a long sleeve windstopper thing when I leave the house in the morning. But, find I have to take it off half way to work. Like Clarkey I'm just a big jessie and don't like the cold.
  • Wow - there's some truth in the expression "Southern Softies" :wink::wink::lol:

I've finally succumbed to the charms of a Garmin 800 so I can record the temperature and prove just how hard I am :wink::wink:

In all seriousness, this time of year can be difficult because the temperature changes a fair bit from morning to evening and deciding what to wear is challenging. Normally I'm a bit too cold on the way in and a bit too warm on the way home.
  • Paul E
    My knees hate being cold, the rest is fine, hands a little bit but with some new gloves in my arsenal that hopefully should be sorted, I just need some new arm warmers with a bit of windblock to them like my leg warmers
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    I've finally succumbed to the charms of a Garmin 800 so I can record the temperature ...
    ha - had mine for a few months and never realised it could do this!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • iPete wrote:
    Are DBH Aeron 3/4 lengths the best VFM bibs around for this upcoming cooler weather?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-race- ... bib-short/

Yes - they probably are. I really like the DHB stuff. Got some Aeron shorts and some DHB Pace 3/4 which were in the sale for £23ish. The chamois in the Pace is nice but in the Aeron it is supreme. Done 60 miles with no cream and I was absolutely fine.

I'm in arm warmers at the moment. They usually end up coming off at about three or four miles into the commute. I might be in 3/4 for an early park lap tomorrow.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    We had two 4C mornings last week and each evening this week has been colder, sitting at a toast 7C right now :evil:

I'm going to drink wine until it warms up
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Just dusting down the Diadora Chili's, its getting that way here (Cambridge UK now). I invested in an underarmour coldwear long sleave top last year, revolutionised my winter commute, hightly recommended. Can be snapped up cheap from M&M Direct at the moment :)
  • I don't mind the cold too much, though most people out there seem to be wearing a bit more than I am. I'm liking the tail wind in the morning but not enjoying the headwinds on the way home. not cold enough for a cap just yet.
    #stillinshorts
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Well - it looks as though the day is going to peak at 8C - pi55ing with rain right now too.

I've also been playing "charger chicken" with my Di2 system to see how low it would go before it stopped working.....

.....this morning I found out :roll: :lol:

Fortunately I only lost the front mech (its "Idiot Alert") and my local Alpine Bikes has a charger and a nice cafe :D

800 miles and something over 45 hours of riding since I last charged it.
    Useful info MeanRed - I've just started riding Di2 so it will be interesting to see how long the first charge lasts. Particularly during the winter months, when I assume the lower temp will impact battery life. Mind you, the "good" bike might not get out to play in the wet/salt/slush anyway :shock:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • 5C here this morning when I went out, Gore windstopper jersey over underarmour, shorts and legwarmers - was just comfy - though my fingertips were a bit tingly 'cos I just wore fingerless gloves...... :roll:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Useful info MeanRed - I've just started riding Di2 so it will be interesting to see how long the first charge lasts. Particularly during the winter months, when I assume the lower temp will impact battery life. Mind you, the "good" bike might not get out to play in the wet/salt/slush anyway :shock:

Yes - my advice would be to charge when it goes to "flashing green" as the time from that to dead was pretty short (a week?) - though, as you speculate, there was also the rather dramatic temperature drop between times too. 800 miles is plenty and should easily be a month or two for most folk. Battery charging is also incredibly quick - I've not timed it but I'd guess an hour or so. I discovered that all Alpine Bikes (and, I'd imagine, pretty much all shops with a Di2 demo bike) have a charger. 20 minutes (or a coffee and Mars Bar crispy cake :wink: ) was plenty of charge to get me home.
  • Paul E
    Way home at 7 was jersey shorts and mitts, supposed to be a degree or so warmer tomorrow morning, will just go with my thin windstopper craft gilet and jersey and arm warmers and ditch the knee warmers.
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    After been a quite nippy ride in yesterday morning I decided to swap the short sleeve top for a long sleeved one. Overheated in 5 minutes and proceeded to have my slowest ride of the year. Going back to the short sleeve until I can't feel my arms in the morning.
    FCN 7
  • 0530 this morning from Charlton to City was....brisk.

SS merino jersey, arm warmers, fingerless mitts, shorts and slightly ghey long black socks a la Wiggo (not sure why I thought they'd keep any part of leg warmer than the normal ankle socks </moron>)

Fingertips painfully cold for about 5 mins until pain in legs took over which is a bit easier to deal with (i.e. MTFU)

1500 return journey should be a little more pleasant
  • Paul E
    Sleeveless baselayer thin summer ss jersey armwarmers and shorts and a very thin windstopper gilet, I overheated a bit, could have done without the baselayer

Long finger gloves too, very slightly sweaty at the end but better than numb fingers.