Got passed by a pro yesterday - wow!

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Was out early on the way from Rainford to Bickerstaffe on the flats when I was passed by a pro, I say pro I because he had an outrider on a moped and he was drafting so close it actually looked like the wheels were touching. I must have been doing no more than 15mph and this guy just went past me like I was stood still. Kind of a humbling experience but goes to show the level of difference between a complete n00b and (what must have been) a pro.

Just thought I'd share.

Comments

• Wigo country :!:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Was out early on the way from Rainford to Bickerstaff on the flats when a pro, I say pro I because he had an outrider on a moped and he was drafting so close it actually looked like the wheels were touching. I must have been doing no more than 15mph and this guy just went past me like I was stood still. Kind of a humbling experience but goes to show the level of difference between a complete n00b and (what must have been) a pro.

Just thought I'd share.
  • Wigo country :!:

Thought he's got the shits?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Give me a moped to draft and I'm pretty sure I could humble you too ;)

He either was a pro or has an awesome mate :lol:
  • Matt Brammeier rides round there - could have been him, as does Mark 'the scally' McNally -he has a 60 mile loop back to crosby - but I've only ever seen mcnally with his mate on dolans - unless theres a dolan 2 stroke available. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • but I've only ever seen mcnally with his mate on dolans - unless theres a dolan 2 stroke available. :D

It was a real old, crappy looking moped. Hardly looked street legal. It sounded as though it was maxed out. Seemed effective though!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bustacapp wrote:
    It was a real old, crappy looking moped. Hardly looked street legal. It sounded as though it was maxed out. Seemed effective though!

Sounds like Team Sky. It was probably Froomy.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Isn't the keirin run on a track not a road?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Drafting a moped doesn't make you a pro....
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    cougie wrote:
    Drafting a moped doesn't make you a pro....

I think his point was that the skill to draft so closely and the speed at which they were travelling suggested it was a pro. Damn it - i fed the trolls again.

OP - thanks for sharing :) Nice story.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • ah, another thought - it could have been young raleigh rider Matt holmes - check the stravas out round there - I say this becasue I heard he has the KoM for beacons hill (from roundabout to pub) by drafting his dad in a van.....so it could have been him on a massive strava cheat.
  • ah, another thought - it could have been young raleigh rider Matt holmes - check the stravas out round there - I say this becasue I heard he has the KoM for beacons hill (from roundabout to pub) by drafting his dad in a van.....so it could have been him on a massive strava cheat.

I think you might be right. One of his tweets mentions his dad taking him out 'motorpacing'.
  • dubcat
    Damn why would anyone want to cheat at strava by drafting? That's so pathetic. Spoils the whole thing :(
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Dubcat wrote:
    Damn why would anyone want to cheat at strava by drafting? That's so pathetic. Spoils the whole thing :(

I know. I reckon he'd have been struggling without that moped.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Damn why would anyone want to cheat at strava by drafting? That's so pathetic. Spoils the whole thing

Racing people you dont know on the internet is pathetic. Get yourself to a proper race.
  • Sorry that was me. The Dominos boy short changed me and I wanted it back
  • dubcat
    Sorry that was me. The Dominos boy short changed me and I wanted it back
    Haha I lol'd :)
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I saw a guy drafting a bright yellow moped near Midmar outside of Aberdeen last month. I suspect driving the moped would be a great occupation for a sadist :twisted:
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I am still dining out on the time I passed Geraint Thomas in Tatton Park like he was standing still a couple of months back.

Oh hang on, he WAS actually standing still and making a phone call. I reckon he could have got back on the Dogma and caught me while tweeting. :wink:

I see Sky and Team GB riders fairy regularly when out - thankfully they are usually going in the opposite direction so don't show me up too much - although they look much better in Lycra!
  • Bustacapp i ride that route 3 times a week i was also out Sunday morning (i also got my first flat tyre) and seen that guy behind the moped. I have seen Matt Brammeier a few times. There is a 10mile TT around there which until recently the fastest was Wiggo but someone beat it last month. You can get some fast speeds around there especially from Bickerstaffe back through to the Rainford by-pass.
  • dubcat
    Wiggo is on strava?!?
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • By the way Thomas(Bustacapp) i see you climbed up Shaley Brow how did you find that? First time i tried it i failed and had to turn back, No way is it a cat 4 climb it's more like a 3.
  • willow71uk wrote:
    By the way Thomas(Bustacapp) i see you climbed up Shaley Brow how did you find that? First time i tried it i failed and had to turn back, No way is it a cat 4 climb it's more like a 3.

Done it 3 times, had to get off and push every time, but got a bit further on each go. I'd say I was 75%-80% complete.

Bear in mind I've got a 39/26 ratio, weigh 120kg and have only been riding for 3 weeks! :)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Bustacapp wrote:
    willow71uk wrote:
    By the way Thomas(Bustacapp) i see you climbed up Shaley Brow how did you find that? First time i tried it i failed and had to turn back, No way is it a cat 4 climb it's more like a 3.

Done it 3 times, had to get off and push every time, but got a bit further on each go. I'd say I was 75%-80% complete.

Bear in mind I've got a 39/26 ratio, weigh 120kg and have only been riding for 3 weeks! :)

Time for a compact? :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I think shaley is the steepest thing round there. For what its worth to put moped boys achievements into some perspective Wiggins has done beacons hill in about 5 mins something - 2 mins ahead of cheat boy.

Good training for shaley brow by the way is hill repeats on crank road.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1471447

And this little bump is always a good way to test the legs - known locally as bonks brow - haha - much steeper than its 12% sign.

http://app.strava.com/segments/711959

Also there is a 10 AND a 25 mile tt course - so if you ever wanted to test yourself.
  • SecretSam wrote:

A triple more like!!
  • I think shaley is the steepest thing round there. For what its worth to put moped boys achievements into some perspective Wiggins has done beacons hill in about 5 mins something - 2 mins ahead of cheat boy.

Good training for shaley brow by the way is hill repeats on crank road.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1471447

And this little bump is always a good way to test the legs - known locally as bonks brow - haha - much steeper than its 12% sign.

http://app.strava.com/segments/711959

Also there is a 10 AND a 25 mile tt course - so if you ever wanted to test yourself.

3:58 minutes up Shaley Brow for cheaterboy??? :shock:

And thanks for those links - will check 'em out!!!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    SecretSam wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    willow71uk wrote:

Just get an 11-28, Ribble have got some cheap ones ;-)
  • bompington wrote:
    Just get an 11-28, Ribble have got some cheap ones ;-)

By the time I recieved them I'd be at Bola Del Mundo pro climbing levels with a 60/10 combo!!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Dubcat wrote:

Ever thought he might just be out doing some speed work and tracking the ride on Strava, getting the KoM as a byproduct rather than motor pacing to get the KoM?