Aldi bike gear back soon

Comments

• Speaking of Aldi bike equipment, i just purchased a wireless cycle computer and it doesnt work properly. I got the wheel size inputted and all alligned with the sensor on the wheel, but it doesnt seem to want to show any read out on the display?? Can anyone help???
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Nothing for me, had gloves and arm warmers lined up, but they don't take credit cards wtf? What century is it? Back to Wiggle for me.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Picked up a few items this morning...a jacket, base layers and gloves. Good Value for money on the face of it. Time will tell if they last, but certainly worth a go at these prices.
  • Yes, take it back :!:
    rob091179 wrote:
    Speaking of Aldi bike equipment, i just purchased a wireless cycle computer and it doesnt work properly. I got the wheel size inputted and all alligned with the sensor on the wheel, but it doesnt seem to want to show any read out on the display?? Can anyone help???
  • Just spent £92 on Aldi gear, seriously didnt think it was possible to spend that much in Aldi....

Gunna try it all on when I get home from work.

All looks excellent quality.
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    Are the stand and tool kit any good?
  • Been and bought 2 jackets a top and leg warmers an socks this morning as well as some compression clothing well happy with it for the price especially as winters coming an it will probably get dirty anyway
    Scott speedster 20 compact 2013
    Claud butler san remo 2012
  • gutted - can't get over till saturday!! most of the stuff will be gone by then!! grrrr.
    It's been a while...
  • meursault wrote:
    Nothing for me, had gloves and arm warmers lined up, but they don't take credit cards wtf? What century is it?

The century where shops get charged for credit card transactions...

Other than bike sales days I would imaging their mainstay clientele gets paid with an envelope of cash once a week, so why pay to have credit card systems in place for one person in a hundred who wants to put less than a tenner on credit.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Can anyone say if the gloves are actually any good? I ride with fingerless ones at the moment but the long fingered ones looked too thick/chubby to be of any use whilst cycling?
  • I took one look, thought they may be okay for ambling about, but on a bike ,nah

although the clothing appears 'good value'-- you can easy get sucked into buying stuff you don't or won't use, i restricted myself to some arm warmers, see if they last as long as my old ones have.

There was a 'throng' of Mamils hovering and muttering all the while i was there, but i suppose if you have just 'come' to cycling and you need winter gear you could certainly do worse.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    meursault wrote:
    Nothing for me, had gloves and arm warmers lined up, but they don't take credit cards wtf? What century is it? Back to Wiggle for me.

There are such things as debit cards. Everyone surely has a debit card....... And Aldi take them.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Rolf F wrote:
    meursault wrote:

There are such things as debit cards. Everyone surely has a debit card....... And Aldi take them.

Yes, I am aware of them. The real reason, is I thought the stuff wasn't any good.

Thanks for your input anyway.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    You gotta love the cycling snobs :lol:

What a bunch of fuc£ing cocks. :roll:
  • You'd be surprised who actually shops in Aldi.
    I can say with a degree of confidence that the majority of the Aldi shoppers in Colchester definitely don't buy out of their dole or whatever you are suggesting.
    The more shopping I do at Aldi, the more money I have left over to buy shiny things...and I'm in the fortunate position of having a very good, if stressful, job.
    No point being a snob about these things.
  • I don't usually bother, but I went down today and on viewing the base layers, I tried one on and is fit lovely. For a tenner a chuck I dibbed in for a couple. If they turn out to be sh1t I've not lost too much, OTOH if they're as good as they feel they're an absolute bargain.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    gloves are very warm and yes a little bulky, the lining moves about a bit but for me as anewbie to gear shifting with brifters they are not bulky enough to interfere. Very good value for just over a fiver.
  • k3vinjam3s wrote:
    I think its superb value for money. Is expect some snobby cyclists to frown as I ride past looking like I've come out of the aldi catalogue.

I think we should start a competition to see who can spot the "Aldi Model" with the most expensive bike :mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Lol won't be me, I'm currently on an old skool purple peugeot while my main bikes getting fixed after an altercation with a Volvo.
  • The gloves were a bit big I thought - more like ski-ing gloves.

The fleeced jackets are toasty and the arm warmers are exactly the same quality as the santini ones i've got, the over shoes look like they'll do the job too - jolly good purchases.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    I bought pretty much one of everything :lol: but can anyone tell me how the flashing led light and meant to attach to the bike ??
  • I went, wanted a natty yellow jacket - but only mediums / smalls in. Overshoes were sold out, as were the mens waterproof trousers.
    Bagged a set of backup lights, cheap winter shoes, and the admittedly crappy gloves. Not bad overall, pity the other bits i wanted weren't in.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    meursault wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Yes, I am aware of them. The real reason, is I thought the stuff wasn't any good.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Any time. Anyway, I get confused easily - when you complained about them not taking credit cards I just assumed you were complaining that they didn't take credit cards - not that the stuff was crap. As I said - easily confused :lol:

I got a new fluoro rain jacket - some neat improvements over the old one (which is still in fine fettle after about 3 winters - just a bit stained with road oil from when I rode the MTB). Arm warmers were sadly way too big for me. Gloves looked decent so I took a chance on those. I reckon the Planet X overshoes are so durable for such a cheap price that I'd stick with those over Aldi.

Also got the toolkit to keep at my parents so I have a few bike specific things to use on my old Raleigh - it's not as good as the Ice Toolz type and I think those are a better buy for anyone planning on using it as a starter for diy cycle maintenance.

Finally the stand - which will hopefully be OK - though hard to see how it wouldn't be.
    ad_snow wrote:
    Can anyone say if the gloves are actually any good? I ride with fingerless ones at the moment but the long fingered ones looked too thick/chubby to be of any use whilst cycling?

They are fine - I have poor circulation in my fingers so my winter gloves are skiing gloves that are twice the size of the Aldi ones and I can still change gear! And my fingers still get cold!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meursault wrote:
    I paid for my things with a credit card. :?
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    went to two and all they had left was female triathlon suits and 2 pairs of socks

then went to another and everything but medium was left, managed to find a couple of things that i was after

just went out in them and they were not bad, a bit too warm for my liking
  • I got myself 3 pairs of socks, seem good.....

We have a sock fairy in our house that seems to take socks so we are only left with odd pairs. So I'm not forking out for expensive ones....
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I got the winter jacket in blue, looks good for £16. Also got a compression top :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I got the tool kit - was looking to get a small chain tool and chain whip (them on there own would be more than £19.99). Also got two compression tops (they feel good, good fit) and two pairs of socks. Will see if they are any warmer than what I currently wear. All in all - I think it all looked pretty good value.

Oh - I payed by credit card (but they wouldn't accept Amex)
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Ok got cycling base layers top and bottom. Feel really nice for the money :D will use then for running as well.

Didn't like the look of the over shoes, didn't look very waterproof??

Now does anybody wear under crackers under base layer? Or is it commando/base layer/cycle shorts??
  • jimbo0023 wrote:
    Ok got cycling base layers top and bottom. Feel really nice for the money :D will use then for running as well.

Didn't like the look of the over shoes, didn't look very waterproof??

Now does anybody wear under crackers under base layer? Or is it commando/base layer/cycle shorts??
    Good question. I would obviously normally wear shorts against my flesh but a base layer (by deffinition) should be against the skin, which if wearing shorts they obviously wouldn't be.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.