Any HalfLife fans here?

dw300
dw300 Posts: 1,642
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
Black Mesa Source

It's the original HalfLife game, updated to the Source engine .. where's my crowbar?!
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

Comments

• Downloading!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Bugger. My laptop won't be fast enough :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I was sitting at my computer as the countdown clicked to zero on the site. I've been waiting for this mod for years.
    Finally downloaded it last night and played through to the resonance cascade - it's fricking awesome. Familiar but also new and shiny. They could have charged money for this, it's so polished, but instead its a free download.
  • Well excited - I loved the original and the sequels. Now where the hell is HL2 Episode 3?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    They have fouled up the release day a bit - the mirrors are groaning under the strain and the torrents don't seem to be working either....

edit, ahh found a working link on a German mirror. 2MB/s. Got to love German efficiency! :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Source is a very old engine. What is your laptop spec?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • dw300
    Downloaded last night, and just installed. Now about to start what could likely be a 12 hour session!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • I actually used bittorrent to download my copy. It's quite handy because not only was the download reasonably quick, but there's also the knowledge that if you have to interupt the download you don't have to start again.
    Plus on the BM:S website the makers were begging people to seed to increase the availability to everyone, which I duly obliged.
    Who would have thought Bitorrent had its legit uses? Something people forget sometimes and think that it's torrenting itself which is a bad thing, when its actually what you torrent that depends whether you are a darstardly pirate or not.
  • Jizzed in my pants to be honest. Why wasn't I aware of this? All I need now is Deus Ex and Morrowind to be updated.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Used to be a fan, a massive fan, I even call my phone 'Gordon Freeman' in bluetooth settings :oops:

Anyway, on launching it again today under its new Mesa guise, I realise it's just lots of traipsing around corridors. Can't even find the crowbar, even if I did, that wouldn't be that exciting.

I guess you should never go back, it leads to disappointment :roll:
  • napoleond
    Daz555 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Source is a very old engine. What is your laptop spec?

Clockwork...
    I'll give it a go, it's free!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • dw300
    I'm stuck, after the bit you meet the security guard who gives you the magnum (and who's partner you shoot as he's been face hugged). Not sure where to go ..
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • napoleond
    I'm stuck! Can't download the fecker.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    :shock: :o:D
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • dw300
    If you can't manage to download it, the puzzles in the game might be a bit hard for you too. :P
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • napoleond
    dw300 wrote:
    If you can't manage to download it, the puzzles in the game might be a bit hard for you too. :P

Got it, just struggling with dl speed, played it a bit. It's ace!!!

I got to the final baddy first time round but kept running out of ammo and gave up...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    dw300 wrote:

I freakin love this game and all it's sequels. However, I used the walkthrough for each one pretty much from the beginning. Perhaps I'm lazy or strange but I don't feel I lost any of the enjoyment or sense of achievement because of it. I hate fannying around not knowing what to do.

I came to the game late after many years away from games in general. I was blown away by how things had moved on. There's a bit where gordon is making his way down some pipe or tube or something which is extremely high in the air and open at the end. As he is moving down it you suddenly see some kind of fighter jet fly past the opening. I realised at that point that this was an extraordinary experience. And massive too.

Great game.
  • dw300
    Yeh, it's more like a movie that you can advance the storyline in your own time. I just use a walkthrough if I get stuck for more than about an hour.

Do you guys play CounterStrike?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Haha just found someone put a Chuckle Brothers mug in there!!

225834_10151130461465889_899224422_n.jpg
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    I'm more of a COD player. Helps the cycling believe it or not.
  • dw300
    Dmak wrote:

How so?
    Haha just found someone put a Chuckle Brothers mug in there!!

225834_10151130461465889_899224422_n.jpg

Noticed that! There are 'Ramblers' crisps in the vending machines too. I believe the work on the game was spread far and wide .. obviously a few Brits helping out.

I've got to where the marines have arrived ..
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • er...what's it all about? I guess it's a computer game, what is the general plot?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • dw300
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(video_game)
    In the November 1999, October 2001, and April 2005 issues of PC Gamer, Half-Life was named "Best Game of All Time"/"Best PC Game Ever".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2
    Maximum PC awarded Half-Life 2 an unprecedented 11 on their rating scale which normally peaks at 10, and named it the "best game ever made".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Source
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300 wrote:
    Yeh, it's more like a movie that you can advance the storyline in your own time. I just use a walkthrough if I get stuck for more than about an hour.

Used to play CS:S far too much in my GCSE days (5 years ago now)...is it still popular? Great game to pass the time
  • cgraley77 wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

Used to play CS:S far too much in my GCSE days (5 years ago now)...is it still popular? Great game to pass the time
    It's as popular as ever. I still play after all these years
  • dw300
    It's an enormously good laugh if you're playing with mates and use even a few tactics, rather than run round like headless chickens.

I was briefly in a clan in the CS1.5 days .. I sucked mind you, but the practices were fun. Then we'd hit up a public server and try out the tactics and generally pwn.

wE w0z 1337!!1one
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300 wrote:
    It's an enormously good laugh if you're playing with mates and use even a few tactics, rather than run round like headless chickens.

I was briefly in a clan in the CS1.5 days .. I sucked mind you, but the practices were fun. Then we'd hit up a public server and try out the tactics and generally pwn.

wE w0z 1337!!1one

Yeah, me and a few school mates used to have a 'clan' and regularly play Team Deathmatch on dust_2...great fun. One friend was an obscenely good shot with a sniper, made the rest of us look better than we really were.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    dw300 wrote:
    Dmak wrote:

How so?

Helps to keep reaction times in check, could be life saving on a bike.

Also, it's something I can win at when I fail in Strava! :D
  • Was heavily invested in CS:S for a couple of years, and just recently rediscovered this bug thanks to CS:GO.

Now trying to reaquire my twitch reflexes which after a couple of years of neglect are sorely lacking. Can't wait until the servers are allowed to start modding stuff properly, like removing AWPs and the AutoSnipe. ATM every game I play degenerates into an AWP-fest. BOOM BOOM BOOM.

BOOM! HEADSHOT! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQFYceNZS8
  • B.M.R. wrote:
    Was heavily invested in CS:S for a couple of years, and just recently rediscovered this bug thanks to CS:GO.

Now trying to reaquire my twitch reflexes which after a couple of years of neglect are sorely lacking. Can't wait until the servers are allowed to start modding stuff properly, like removing AWPs and the AutoSnipe. ATM every game I play degenerates into an AWP-fest. BOOM BOOM BOOM.

BOOM! HEADSHOT! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQFYceNZS8
    My own diminished reflexea were well noted shooting headcrabs in BM lol.

Has been so long since I actively played an fps properly (scrims/matches/tac nades)