Lycra - I just can't.

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Does anyone else shun lycra or is it just me? I just cannot bring myself to get any lycra cladding even though I know it would be far more areo than my usual matalan cloth cargo shorts & t-shirt.

At 120kg I honestly think I'd look an absolute sight anyway. I'm not particularly fat - but things would be....bulging.

Are there any other clothes suitable for cycling that look a little less.............conspicuous?

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Forget aero, it's just damn comfortable man. Get over it and man up ffs ....
  • giant man wrote:
    Forget aero, it's just damn comfortable man. Get over it and man up ffs ....

I'm comfy in my matalan clothes. U mad?
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Apologies for the Rapha plug, but these look OK if you really cant abide lycra. (And have £75 to burn)

471-02.jpg
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Sorry, but people riding road bikes in baggy kit look silly.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    danowat wrote:

You can laugh .... as I come past ...

Like team kit - PPl can wear what they like - and whilst it may be amusing, it really doesn't matter what they wear - so long as it is decent ...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Bustacapp wrote:

At 120kg I honestly think I'd look an absolute sight anyway. I'm not particularly fat - but things would be....bulging.

Rugby build :?:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Order some lycra kit from Ribble, if you're lucky you'll get used to the idea by the time they dispatch it :twisted:
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

Yesish?
  • danowat
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:

Soni? is that you?
  • bompington wrote:
    Order some lycra kit from Ribble

The only thing I'll ever be ordering from Ribble is the address of their comlplaints department!!
  • danowat
    Bustacapp wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Order some lycra kit from Ribble

The only thing I'll ever be ordering from Ribble is the address of their comlplaints department!!

Ugh.... :roll:
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited September 2012
    Slowbike wrote:
    danowat wrote:

Like team kit - PPl can wear what they like - and whilst it may be amusing, it really doesn't matter what they wear - so long as it is decent ...

Now that' is clearly off topic, but a challenge!

You get used to lycra it's no big deal. It's not a fashion thing, but practical. People get far too hung up on what clothing. After owning many pairs of baggy pants, I now even wear lycra exclusively on the MTB - it is just more comfortable.
    And there is no need to drape yourself in team kit, just get some generic clothing, and get them in plain colours if you are a bit unsure.

The Rapha kit above looks nice, but IMO it feels like you are specifically making a point about your clothing, which in many ways I think is worse. Question: Are you sure you have a proper road bike and not a hybrid with a set of TT bars? :P

I will tell you now, 'some' roadies will treat you differently if you do not wear lycra, in the same way as if you ride with a Camelpak. I have finally given up my Camelpak for the road (although it may reappear over the winter), specifically because it seemed like a challenge for too many roadies to catch and pass me.

I think anyone worried about wearing lycra cycling clothing should try on a tri suit first :roll:
    Simon
  • Dam you whinge you a lot, I can't be arsed to post anything positive.
  • Bebs
    Bebs Posts: 15
    Jep, can't do lycra either..
  • AlanT
    AlanT Posts: 40
    I was quite apprehensive about buying some,

I run quite a lot so i'm used to wearing 'sporty' gear, but lycra was a whole different ball game! however, i took the jump, felt rediculous as i left the house but within 5 mins i didn't care and was much more comfortable on the bike etc.

the wife on the other hand has stated that no man in history has ever looked good in cycling gear lol cheers luv...

Alan
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bustacapp wrote:

Look around at most Sportives and you'll always see someone worse. I use my visible overhang factor to spur me to lose a few more pounds. :)

Or did you mean some other kind of bulging? :lol:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • danowat
    Slowbike wrote:
    danowat wrote:

Was it?, I thought it was just normal forum bluff and fluster
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I am a bit, well, fat is the only word for it.

I wear lycra because it performs better, not because I look good in it. How much do I care about what others think? Probably about the same as most people, i.e. more than we like to admit. But you just need to decide: then you get used to it very quickly.
  • danowat wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    danowat wrote:

Was it?, I thought it was just normal forum bluff and fluster

lol - Cycling is a game of smoke and mirrors :P
    Simon
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    bompington wrote:
    I wear lycra because it performs better, not because I look good in it. How much do I care about what others think? Probably about the same as most people, i.e. more than we like to admit. But you just need to decide: then you get used to it very quickly.

I always have the reply ready if anyone makes a comment about my looking "portly", "Every time I make love to your wife/girlfriend, she gives me a biscuit".

Attrib to the late Clement Freud
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    endura humvee pants (with built in liner) £45 ish could be the thing for you.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Does anyone else shun lycra or is it just me? I just cannot bring myself to get any lycra cladding even though I know it would be far more areo than my usual matalan cloth cargo shorts & t-shirt.

Are there any other clothes suitable for cycling that look a little less.............conspicuous?

As your mileage increases you will hit a point when you start to get sore because your shorts are causing pressure points. The mileage will vary from person to person and it might be north of 50 miles but it will happen.

Last night I needed new AAA batteries for one of my lights so before I going out to ride I popped into Asda. Fully clad in lycra, road shoes, helmet (with head torch attached) etc. I didn't have a lock so I took the bike in with me. With cleats it was more akin to skating than walking!!

I attracted a few looks and giggles but I don't give a stuff!
  • Navrig wrote:
    Last night I needed new AAA batteries for one of my lights so before I going out to ride I popped into Asda. Fully clad in lycra, road shoes, helmet (with head torch attached) etc. I didn't have a lock so I took the bike in with me. With cleats it was more akin to skating than walking!!

I attracted a few looks and giggles but I don't give a stuff!

LOL I'm guessing the giggles were because you had a bike with you in the aisles!! I'm surprised you got past security tbh!! :D
  • bompington wrote:

bompington wrote:

i wouldnt worry about being of stout build, BUT blue gloves with a red top! :roll: RULES!!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:
    danowat wrote:

You get used to lycra it's no big deal. It's not a fashion thing, but practical.

I've got a pair of baggy MTB shorts ... if it's hot I'll wear these (not got much wear this year!) ... it's a matter of comfort - and these are more comfortable than my 1/2 length lycra legs ...

What does it matter what anyone wears? By all means - extol the virtues of wearing lycra - but just because someone isn't wearing lycra doesn't mean they're no good ...

Btw - I wear a camlepack too - on my commute anyway ... it hasn't got the bladder in it - it's just the right size to take my work stuff in ! :)
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I only wear lycra to show off my massive thighs. People laugh - the mrs included - but ultimately I don't care what others think any more. I had a problem with it when I first started taking cycling seriously but the benefits far outweigh other peoples' opinions. And anyway the fact you're 120kg is irrelevant (was over 100kg when I started as well as being 5ft 5) because the more comfortable you are the more miles you will do and the more kg you will lose.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • I saw one of these at the weekend and they might work for you?

http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/MensBaseLayers_03288?ocode=03288688&relatedType=Works

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I would live in my orca trisuit if I had the chance. I only need to think about one item. When at the gym I can run, spin and swim without changing. I've been shopping in tesco in it and with compression tights over. But then I am a skinny bitch and a complete exhibitionist tart...

You can wear what ever works for you and feels comfy
  • jonomc4 wrote:
    endura humvee pants (with built in liner) £45 ish could be the thing for you.

+1 for the Humvee's - I have a pair for the MTB. But I just can't bring myself to use them on the road bike....

If you're worried about bulging bits, put a cycling jacket on? It's getting to that time of year where you can get away with it :)

Surely your legs dont look bad in lycra?
    It's been a while...
  • I don't mind wearing lycra cycling shorts - the pad helps stop anyone from seeing what religion you are... although I'd probably feel a bit self-conscious going into the supermarket.

But I definitely felt too self-conscious to wear a normal cycling jersey with a belly. Even with the flattening effect of bib-shorts and a loose-ish jersey it was far too figure hugging for me, so I used to wear a wicking t-shirt with a gilet over the top - snug enough to be practical but not figure-hugging.

It's all only a temporary measure until the excess weight is shed anyway.
This discussion has been closed.