Lands End 100

2»

Comments

• mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Fantastic day, the ride around the Lands End peninsula is one of the most stunning I have done, the views of Mounts Bay heading down to Mousehole were spectacular. The feed station at Cycle Logic in Helston was one of the best I've been to - having someone else take your bike and fill your bottles up was a rare treat and the buffet was excellent! Shame about the hale storm I hit near Coverack - in 10 mins I was soaked. The stretch heading N was the toughest part of the ride and by the time I hit the N coast, my legs were struggling. Still waiting for the times to be published, but I was somewhere around 7hrs20, which I was pretty pleased with. Beautiful scenery and a good mix of the B-roads and country lanes make this a cracking ride to finish the year with.
  • Agree with much of the last post. Fantastic coastal stretches and we got so lucky with the weather (I managed to dodge that hailstorm thankfully). I did the long route which I really enjoyed up to around 67 miles. That climb out of Coverack was a killer though, and there wasn't much respite from the climbing for 17 miles after that. Not much banter during that stretch but rather a lot of swearing at hills and legs. The final 20 miles were more enjoyable although that final kick up into St Ives was a tough way to finish.

I clocked 7,200 feet of climbing on my Garmin, double what was predicted on the (ever unreliable) mapmyride. I'd be curious to know what figure others registered.

Great job by the organisers. No problems registering, excellent feed stations and a generally well sign-posted route (I've seen better but I've also seen much, much worse). Delighted to get my first century ride in the locker but I think I'll settle for the 100km next year.
  • gthyer
    gthyer Posts: 46
    Times are up.
    http://results.racetectiming.com/Result ... 2028&EId=1

Little bit confusing - looks like it's displaying the time plus the time after 7.30 that was started. Second Leg time seems to be showing actual time.

2.22:53 for the 65k. Happy with that
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    Curtis MX24
    Pashley 26mhz

http://www.strava.com/athletes/3040565
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    gthyer wrote:
    Times are up.
    http://results.racetectiming.com/Result ... 2028&EId=1

Little bit confusing - looks like it's displaying the time plus the time after 7.30 that was started. Second Leg time seems to be showing actual time.

2.22:53 for the 65k. Happy with that

Yes, think there's a bit a problem, as it's showing the fastest time for 100 mile event as 3hr10 and numerous people under 5 hours!!!!
  • Yes, turned out to be a fine day and a great event.
    Only did the 100k myself with a few mates. We had a few mechanical issues between us (1x broken chain, 1x derailled chain jammed between BB and chainwheel, plus I had a flat at Marazion).
    Moto mechanics/marshalls were v helpful and the feedstations were good. Minor gremlins in the timings, but that is being sorted apparently.
    I have done that ride much quicker solo. Being in a group has obvious advantages (drafting etc) but I'm sure its out weighed by the following (tongue firmly in cheek!):
    1. Waiting for the slow/weak/fat members of the group after climbs, or those that get dropped on the fast bits.
    2. Breakdowns. Being in a group has NO advantage at all. Stoppages for breakdowns are merely opportunities for the rest of the gang to eat, drink, pi$$ in the hedge, then mock the abilities of the afflicted member to fix their bike. You're better of on your own!
    3. Everything seems to take longer - feed stops, pee stops, photograph stops. According to my Garmin, our total time was 5:45 of which over 1 hour was stopped!!!

However, we had a fantastic time and everyone enjoyed themselves.
  • any pic from the ride? there was lots of cameras!!
    Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Never take anyone's opinion as fact!
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Have to agree: that was a great ride. The opening stretch from St Ives to St Just, as the sun was coming up and there was no wind, was just bliss. Absolute cycling heaven, on a lovely swooping road that was largely well-surfaced. Also the view over Mounts bay coming into Mousehole, with the water like a millpond.

Thanks also for laying on decent weather :wink:

I did the 100k, which was a decent enough challenge. The final push into St Ives was pretty tough, and there was a hill somewhere between Kehelland and the North Cliffs that matched any Flemish berg for steepness. Many thanks to all who organised and helped: it was well worth the journey.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Great day out, despite some tough times out on the ride. Fortunately, the legs got better the longer things went on. My ears were bleeding from the expletives being uttered by one of my riding partners, particularly once we got out of Coverack...(I wonder who it could be?!).

The Cycle Logic foodstop was immense. Steve posted the flapjack recipe on their Facebook page. My only regret was not stuffing handfuls of them into my pockets!

Back next year...for the 100 miler again Paul....!!!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Guilty as charged with the attack of Tourettes, most acutely between 67 and 84 miles for which I humbly apologise. And I accept telling the hills to f*ck off or my legs to shut the f*ck up made not one jot of difference. I'm usually quite polite and well mannered, honest.
  • gthyer
    gthyer Posts: 46
    any pic from the ride? there was lots of cameras!!

I've been looking for photos online but not found any yet. Not sure if you've seen it, but I came across this report with a few nice shots in:
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/sporti ... 0-again--0

None of my aero-tuck gurning though :x Probably a good thing, no-one needs to see that! :D
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    Curtis MX24
    Pashley 26mhz

http://www.strava.com/athletes/3040565
  • FleetPaul wrote:
    Guilty as charged with the attack of Tourettes, most acutely between 67 and 84 miles for which I humbly apologise.

Oh I don't know, that hill out of Kehelland deserved it :lol::lol:

I'm just glad I got round in one peice, the week before I washed out at zennor and went through a shoe and several layers of foot skin. The wife wanted to fit me with gps after that one :?
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock: