Anyone enjoying this TOB more than the Vuelta

13»

Comments

• I'm enjoying it, but the vuelta was better. One thing that slightly grates is that i'm not sure everyone istaing the tob seriousl, e.g wiggo doesn't seem to be trying, and why wold sy want to support cav for gc? Surely there's 0 chance of a sprinter keeping the jersey in the hills?

If i could add to the route, i'd vote for northumberland - going via cragside area, accross to the coast, seahouses and end in alnwick maybe. Lovely part of the world up there, guaranteed nasty wind on the coast to shake tings up a tad.
    Edinburgh, oxford et all - splendid places, but an immence cost to shut them down for a race - unless tob was a 3 week commercial marvel, i'm not sure it would be sustainable ost wise...
  • I dont think ToB can/should be compared to the Vuelta. I also think the course is a lot harder to race on than we give it credit. I enjoyed watching Basso attack and blow yesterday too. What would make it better is time I think. Maybe a bit more sponsor money for prizes to attract more/higher ranked conti riders.. FWIW, the Olympic Legacy/Ride100 organisers are saying that the 1 day London/Surrey race next year will become the best ever 1 day race, cant wait to see that oust Milan San Remo, Paris Roubaix etc.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    No. Of course not. Different league.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    I do think on a short tour that starting and ending in Stoke is a waste.
    Likewise finishing in Liverpool and then finishing in Blackpool isn't spreading things around, and both Blackpool and Stoke seem to be annual ports of call, yet both are sh1tholes.

Dorset is truly a beautiful county, lets hope this guy isnt representative of the people that live there.

4 million + people live in the huge conurbations within an hour's drive of those places, that possibly has some bearing on where the stages are located.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    knedlicky wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    If it was longer, London would be a good last stage cos its flat and makes for good crowds and a sprint where GC isn't contested. Otherwise London's a bit dull
    Ive been enjoying the TOB, think its really watchable. Don't think it'll get much bigger unless the country spends a lot more on Tarmac, jesus our roads are bad now. I blame that Tony C. Blair.
    From what I understand a lot of the Spanish Roads are paid for by the EU because they are/were a poor country. They should take a look at some of the roads round Essex, we've actually got families living in some of the pot holes round here they are so big. Years of neglect...
    What you are talking about are the EU funds for regional development, so money given to countries to improve the infrastructure in less-developed regions. And Spain has been one of the recipients of such funds, or more exactly, the provinces of SW Spain.
    In the UK, North Wales, South Wales and Cornwall have received such funds.

In order to qualify for this funding, a region has to have a GDP (gross domestic product) per capita of less than 75% the EU average. Unfortunately for you, Essex has a GDP higher then the EU average.

Wow, someone else knows the base Objective 1 criteria! Merseyside, S Yorks and Highlands and Islands also hit the 75% for at least one Programme Period. HMG opposed the use of Structural Funds for basic infrastructure - including roads - for much of the 1980s-1990s, partly because of additionality "discussions".
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • dsoutar wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:
    doesn't come to London ?? Maybe I'm exagerrating a bit but it's almost within walking distance of central London and certainly withion most people's cycling ability.

Btw, having been out of work myself for quite a few months in the recent past, the sofa is a very dangerous place to be. Fortunately I managed to avoid that except for 3 hours a day when the TdF was on. The rest of the time was taken up chasing jobs which is actually very time consuming indeed and in fact my plans to do all sorts of cycling never actually came to fruition

I'd like to see you walk from Fulham to Leatherhead.

Christ - it's only 17 miles according to the AA; you really have got sofa-itis.

When I go back home, this is the sort of thing my wife and I drag ourselves around http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochness ... nros.shtml so a 17 mile walk through Surrey isn't going to be particularly taxing...and there are more pubs to rest in ! (mind you that might actually be a handicap)

Walking for more than an hour is undignified.

Rather like running when you're an adult and not doing sport.

Get on your bike.

Guildford is pretty much a suburb of London, though, right? (Ducks to avoid Surrey resident's approbation)
    Am I loving ToB? Yep. It's ace. I'm enjoying it more and more. Basso attacking yesterday, Backstedt today, the youngsters lining up to have a go, what 's not to like?
    The crowds have been amazing, so let's not get chippy (general observation).
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I'm loving the TOB. The field is a bit thin but there are some quality riders on show.
  • knedlicky wrote:
    Instinctively I felt you’re right and I thought as example that the Peyresourde had in recent years been classified sometimes as Cat 1 and other times as Hors-Cat depending where it was (at what km) during a stage, but when I checked up, it has always been Cat 1 (without going back into the 50s-60s when classification was different).

Nonetheless, I think you could still be right about infrequent climbs which are borderline to any category.
    In this year’s Tour, the Col de le Croix (stage 8, just before the descent to the stage finish in Porrentruy) was probably really a Cat 2, but elevated to a Cat 1, because of its location along the route.
    By contrast, on stage 17, the Col de Mente was probably really a Hors-Cat but was relegated to Cat 1, because it came only 25 km into a 145 km stage.

Aspin was the example I had in my head. Was a Cat 2 in 97 and Cat 1 in 98 both from same direction. Soulor has also changed its classification in recent years but this could be due to it being climbed from different directions.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Col de Mente has been Cat 1 previously:
    http://www.letour.fr/2007/TDF/presentat ... -1500.html

Just 7k at 8% so Cat 1 feels about right.
    Rich
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    hipshot wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Likewise finishing in Liverpool and then finishing in Blackpool isn't spreading things around, and both Blackpool and Stoke seem to be annual ports of call, yet both are sh1tholes.

Dorset is truly a beautiful county, lets hope this guy isnt representative of the people that live there.

4 million + people live in the huge conurbations within an hour's drive of those places, that possibly has some bearing on where the stages are located.

My point is that in a one week race, it is a waste have the start and finish of a stage in the same city or town (what ever city or town that is), which is what they've done in Stoke for the last 2 years at least. Also there was a finish in both Liverpool and in Blackpool, which are what, 20 miles apart at the most?

Now tell me with a straight face that Blackpool and Stoke are lovely places. :mrgreen:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    My point is that in a one week race, it is a waste have the start and finish of a stage in the same city or town (what ever city or town that is), which is what they've done in Stoke for the last 2 years at least. Also there was a finish in both Liverpool and in Blackpool, which are what, 20 miles apart at the most?

Now tell me with a straight face that Blackpool and Stoke are lovely places. :mrgreen:

But if there aren't many cities who think it worthwhile hosting, there is more to be gained by the host - more fans around all day (ok, maybe not in Stoke) visiting local shops, pubs & cafes; with much little more disruption and cost.
  • They need to have a look at the timing if they're going to attract higher profile names. The crowds prove people will come out and watch it.
  • hipshot
    Dorset Boy wrote:

I'm not the one bellyaching that all the racing is at the other end of the country (where millions of people live) and not in Somerset and Dorset. :mrgreen::lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Or devon
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    the TofB is run solely to make a profit for sweetspot. if devon/somerset, blackpool and stoke are willing to pay to host it every year they'll get it every year. these places also pay for the tour series if i remember correctly.

hopefully the increased profile of the sport and the event will make some bigger/ nicer places bid next year
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ManOfKent wrote:
    The likes of Oxford and Edinburgh, mentioned in this thread, probably feel they're doing quite well enough without a visit from the ToB.)
    Edinburgh, oxford et all - splendid places, but an immence cost to shut them down for a race
    Oh, don't worry, Edinburgh's already spent the money to close down the city - the only problem is they shut it down to cycle racing by installing the tram lines along Princes Street, the venue for some great City Centre Cycling finishing straights in the past. :roll:

Council-bashing aside, Edinburgh does still have some fantastic streets for the climax of a stage, notably the cobbled climb of Victoria Street most recently used for the Nocturne races which have sadly been restricted to London now. Talking of the council, they'll be more than happy to close the streets as long as the council leaders get plenty of TV time to boast how cycle friendly they think they are. :wink:

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • hipshot
    My candidate for the Image of the TOB

juhui.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    hipshot wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

I think we should be thanking the likes of Stoke, Blackpool and other stalwarts of the race - without their continued support in bidding for stages in tough financial times the race would day out yet again. The Stoke stage is always pretty good, yes the finish isn't in the most inspiring location but as the Council are putting up the cash surely they are entitled to the additional money that comes into the area from visitors being spent in the town?

Maybe you should lobby Somerset or Dorset councils to bid for future stages? It would be nice to spread it around but someone has to fund it. Besides, Devon's not a million miles away is it? On the whole the race is pretty accessible at some point to people throughout the country other than the north of Scotland and possibly the north east of England.