rollers Power calculation?

StrathRC
StrathRC Posts: 31
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
Is there anyway I can get a rough figure for power output with the following info (riding on rollers):

Speed: 55mph (using this website: http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm using cadence and gear)
Cadence: 218rpm
time: 20 seconds
Gear: 48-15 (84")
My weight: 74kg
Bike weight 7.2kg

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    you would need to know either:

resistance (gearing and roller)

or how much pressure on the pedal (power)

to work that out
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I'm not sure you have the right information. As you don't move anywhere on rollers, your weight and the weight of the bike are mostly irrelevant. You need to know the energy required to rotate the wheels and rollers at the given speed. I guess if you knew the weight of the rollers and wheels and the efficiency of the bearings, etc., you might be able to get a very wrough idea. However with so many other factors, such as the rolling resistance of the tyres, pressure of tyres, whether the chain was lubricated, how much you moved from side to side, etc., it would be very wrough. Without a power meter, it is easier to estimate power output on a fairly steep hill, where most of the energy is going into fighting gravity. There are a number of websites where you can type in your details and those of the hill and it estimates your power output.