Finally!

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Or, to put it another way, Brad can't really improve on 2012. The public won't appreciate him anymore for a Giro or Vuelta win on top of another Tour victory and World Championships don't mean anything to the general public.

Andy Murrays year should be next year (fingers crossed).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • * [Pedant] Just one wee thing Jedstar, its 76 years to the day since a Brit last won a major. [Pedant]
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    * [Pedant] Just one wee thing Jedstar, its 76 years to the day since a Brit last won a major. [Pedant]

I thought it was more like 8 hours.
  • Can't believe there is so much hatred for Andy Murray on here! He played absolutely amazing tennis for 5 hours and won the competition fair and square. He is one of the best in the worl and he has done Scotland and the UK as a whole proud.

Sure he isn't the most charismatic person on the planet but he still seems like a nice guy.

Not being as charismatic as Usain Bolt is not a crime. We are all different. Doens't make him a bad person or, reason to hate him.

Go Andy! :D
  • rolf_f
    Can't believe there is so much hatred for Andy Murray on here! He played absolutely amazing tennis for 5 hours and won the competition fair and square. He is one of the best in the worl and he has done Scotland and the UK as a whole proud.

Hatred? Have you actually read the thread? We have one person who doesn't like him, Meanredspiders mother hates him (but, as far as we know, she isn't on here) and we have the odd vote for him being a bit of a miserable humbug but that doesn't imply hatred.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Haters gonna hate
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I don't hate him. I did say that I hate these pictures they use of him:
    AndyMurray8.jpg
    I grant you I'm no oil painting. But I'd hope a picture editor could find a better picture of me if it were necessary.
    I know they are trying to get a message across with the picture. I'm not claiming to be reasonable
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I don't hate him!! Just said he was a miserable sod - and I'm not hearing much disagreement on that one :-)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    SimonAH wrote:
    I don't hate him!! Just said he was a miserable sod - and I'm not hearing much disagreement on that one :-)

Makes a change from the usual superlative guff.

Liked his comment when asked about "it must be worse for your parents in some respects" after the Wimbledon semi-final and he said something like "not really, I'm the one who has to play".

Quite.

I like watching him play. He's good value and bloody good.

Shame I couldn't watch it really.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Rolf F wrote:
    Murray will properly warrant SPOTY if he wins Wimbledon. It's the only Grand Slam that really matters just as the TdF is the only Grand Tour that really matters. This is why Wiggo should get it over Murray.

That is all bollocks, and you know it.

Regarding Murray he has been knocking at the door for a few years so he has earned it in that respect, but that sport really has a doping problem, bigger than cycling probably. Someone needs to prod a big anti-doping stick at it and if they do some of the big apples will start to fall.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    read the thread. Good considered arguement and never would belittle what is a great acheivement.

But...

I still dont like him (but tbh, I really aint a tennis fan at all)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    It was a combination of your post and UE quoting me and then saying about the anti-English comments. I hadn't even mentioned them.

Sorry about that, I could have sworn I'd pressed "Quote" on a different post. :oops:
  • There are about 7 billion people in the world. About 1 in 7 own a bike. Only about 75 million people worldwide play tennis, therefore surely it must about 13 times harder to become the world's best cyclist than the world's best tennis player?

I should know because according to my calculations I am probably the world's second best tennis player, seeing as I have played loads of times and come second nearly every time. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • There are about 7 billion people in the world. About 1 in 7 own a bike. Only about 75 million people worldwide play tennis, therefore surely it must about 13 times harder to become the world's best cyclist than the world's best tennis player?

I should know because according to my calculations I am probably the world's second best tennis player, seeing as I have played loads of times and come second nearly every time. :wink:

emmm no.... Your calculations are correct but your hypothesis is not.

Most people who play tennis are fairly well off (give or take) and play fairly competitively (again give or take)
    Most people who own a bike live in a third world country and only have one because they can never own a car and or there is no roads. They don't have any "competitive" desire to win races.

For most, 1 is a competitive sport played for leisure, the other is simply a means of transport.
  • I think tennis is played by a wider section of society in many other countries, so the well off bit may not hold.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Half the people that play tennis are women, and most of them are rubbish :wink:

Still can't believe that the Women's Wimbledon Champ gets paid the same as the Men's for playing about half as much tennis and a fraction of the entertainment value (unless you happen to like a lot of grunting I guess).
  • I saw Sean Connery in the crowd last night... about tennish.
  • :lol:

Fergie was there too, so if Murray hadn't been winning after 5 sets it would probably have gone to best of seven :wink:
  • Nice little clip on the bbc website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/19554419

To me he comes across as a thoughtful guy, and happy to have a laugh about his apparent lack of joy at winning.

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Congratulations to British tennis player Andy Murray for winning the US Open. Commiserations though for the Scottish player Andy Murray at Wimbledon.
  • Andy's got plenty of time on his hands......

...................... or rather he hasn't!

but like the true Scotsman he is, the seven figure sponsorship deal was saved. Not that I blame him - given half the chance I'd have done the same.
  • rolf_f
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Murray will properly warrant SPOTY if he wins Wimbledon. It's the only Grand Slam that really matters just as the TdF is the only Grand Tour that really matters. This is why Wiggo should get it over Murray.

No - I don't know that it is bollocks. I think it is right as far as the general public is concerned. They don't much care about Tennis that isn't Wimbledon and they don't much care about cycling that isn't the TdF. Of course, as far as enthuiasts are concerned, things are different but the enthusiasts don't pick SPOTY.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Rolf F wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

No - I don't know that it is bollocks. I think it is right as far as the general public is concerned. They don't much care about Tennis that isn't Wimbledon and they don't much care about cycling that isn't the TdF. Of course, as far as enthuiasts are concerned, things are different but the enthusiasts don't pick SPOTY.
    Yeah! Who decided to give the common man in the street a vote?
    Just messing.... :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Rolf F wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Sorry you were talking about SPOTY, then yes you are right :lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rolf_f
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Sorry you were talking about SPOTY, then yes you are right :lol:

Ohhhhh, I see now! You thought I was as dim as a telephone competition voter! I am most offended :lol:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Just realised that I didn't even mention Mcilroy in my original shortlist...

At least the disappointing summer of cricket means prob no cricketers in the mix.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    BigMat wrote:
    His "anti-English" comments were made as a joke when he was a teenager FFS

His "anti-English" comments were actually in line with most of the rest of Scotland: he'd always support the other team in a sporting match against England. Didn't offend me BTW - I'm used to it.

Not really - This was deliberate mis-reporting of what was said by some mischief maker(s).

Tim Henman debunks the myth about Andy Murray being anti-English and describes the light-hearted interview with himself, Murray and journalist Des Kelly in 2006 which gave rise to the accusations. Comments made in jest during that interview were subsequently taken out of context by journalists such as Richard Littlejohn (Daily Mail) and Tony Parsons (Daily Mirror) to create the impression that Murray is anti-English. (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqQsHBwkDgQ )

There are a lot of these"truths" put about on both sides of the border. Sadly, some people accept them as fact because it appeared in the Daily Mail/Telegraph/Daily Record/Scotsman or whatever.

-Spider-
  • -spider- wrote:
    There are a lot of these"truths" put about on both sides of the border. Sadly, some people accept them as fact because it appeared in the Daily Mail/Telegraph/Daily Record/Scotsman or whatever.

Quite right. If you want to read The Truth best buy The Sun
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    -spider- wrote:

Quite right. If you want to read The Truth best buy The Sun

+1

-Spider-