UCI World TTT Champs *Spoilers*

2»

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Tom BB wrote:
    What an awful spectacle....crowd size is similar to the Tour of Qatar too.

Have to agree actually. Even more underwhelming than I thought.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    ToB on itv4 is much better
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Who watched a TTT in a tour and thought "That'd make a great standalone event at the world championships"???
  • It's a technicaly challenging discipline outside of the usual. As a spectacle I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't think that standing on a chicane or sharp corner as these guys weave throug at 40 miles an hour is more exciting than watching an itt.

If you've ever tried it the appreciation level goes through the roof but perhaps it shouldn't be in the world champs ; in which case neither should the ITT. Since both are a bit dull for those who don't know what they're talking about.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    thegibdog wrote:
    Who watched a TTT in a tour and thought "That'd make a great standalone event at the world championships"???

It's the hardest discipliine in the entire sport. And it's quite beautiful too. Of course it should be a standalone event. But does it matter that it's now a part of the World Championship week? Previously it was just called Eindhoven Team Time Trial and the winners were, as today, considered the worlds best TTT team.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Dressage is reportedly very hard too. Its still shoot!

Having said that, I do quite like watching TTTs as part of a GT. Otoh, they can often spoil the GC spectacle somewhat. Maybe as it gets established as an event, more people will give a hoot about it. Also some rainbow jerseys would be nice lol.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    ThomThom wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    It's the hardest discipliine in the entire sport. And it's quite beautiful too. Of course it should be a standalone event. But does it matter that it's now a part of the World Championship week? Previously it was just called Eindhoven Team Time Trial and the winners were, as today, considered the worlds best TTT team.
    Indeed, you could argue that it is the hardest discipline in the sport - although I suppose it depends how you determine hardest - but it doesn't necessarily make it an interesting spectacle.* Although, thinking about it, I'm sure it will have a draw for the sponsors in terms of them being able to say they are the best team in the world.

*Having said that I did find watching teams fall apart on the climbs quite entertaining.
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    Just watching it now, recorded from this afternoon. What a pointless race, most of the teams missing their top TTT riders and many of those riders that were there were well past their best. If they really have to award a TTT World Championship they should pick the TTT stage of one of the Grand Tours and designate that as the championship.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    I'm just waiting for the coverage of the men's competition to start and they're showing highlights of the women. I'm sure Harmon just said that Emma Pooley has the highest power:weight ratio of anyone. Man or Woman. Amazing if I've heard that right.
    Wouldn't surprise me, she's tiny!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Roulers are a lot more useful in a big TTT teams than pure TTers.

Better at those punchy intervals to keep the speed high.

See OPQS.
  • thomthom
    Roulers are a lot more useful in a big TTT teams than pure TTers.

Better at those punchy intervals to keep the speed high.

See OPQS.

Well, yes, on this particular route.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    Was the route quite hilly? 54kms in 1.04.49 seems sluggish for a TTT
  • esv
    esv Posts: 5
    Milton50 wrote:
    I'm just waiting for the coverage of the men's competition to start and they're showing highlights of the women. I'm sure Harmon just said that Emma Pooley has the highest power:weight ratio of anyone. Man or Woman. Amazing if I've heard that right.

That is BS. It would mean that she would beat wiggins, froome, JRod and contador on all the big climbs.
  • thomthom
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Was the route quite hilly? 54kms in 1.04.49 seems sluggish for a TTT

Yes. But more importantly - there were only 6 riders instead of 9 ;)
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    esv wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

That is BS. It would mean that she would beat wiggins, froome, JRod and contador on all the big climbs.

An ant has a better power to weight ratio compared to Wiggins but is not going to beat him on the big climbs.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    davidof wrote:
    esv wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

An ant has a better power to weight ratio compared to Wiggins but is not going to beat him on the big climbs.

Very hard to get a bike to fit the Ant. God only knows how Mavic Neutral Service would provide support.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    davidof wrote:

But might that ant run him close on the shorter steeper stuff? They say that's where Wiggo struggles...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I think what would probably happen is that the ant would keep jumping off the front of Sky's train, but couldn't sustain the effort to keep away. Unless the ant was doping of course...
  • Milton50 wrote:
    I think what would probably happen is that the ant would keep jumping off the front of Sky's train, but couldn't sustain the effort to keep away. Unless the ant was doping of course...

If you talking jumping off the train, then your average flea is pretty good in the power-to-weight ratio stakes. However, big risk on the blood passport (homologous you see :wink: ).