UCI World TTT Champs *Spoilers*

Art Vandelay
Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Next Sunday September 16th it's the UCI World TTT:
11.00 - 12.30 - Team Time trial for UCI teams, Women (34,2 km) Sittard/Geleen - Valkenburg
13.30 - 16.40 - Team Time trial for UCI teams, Men (53,2 km) Sittard/Geleen - Valkenburg
The World Championship TTT was last run in 1994, where teams of 4 riders represented their country over a 100km course. The new version includes teams of six, riding distances of 53.2 km for men and 34.2 km for women. Another key difference is that for the first time in the history of the World Championships the national aspect of the race is put aside because the riders will represent their commercial team rather than their home country. UCI WorldTour, Pro-Continental and Continental teams will participate, so their six best riders, regardless of nationality, will have the opportunity to ride
All teams from the men's UCI WorldTour will participate. There is also space for Pro-Continental and Continental teams to qualify. Competitors will come from the following:
- Top 20 teams in the European Tour
- Top 5 teams in the American Tour
- Top 5 teams in the Asian Tour
- Best team in the African Tour
- Best team in the Oceania Tour
The routes chosen for the team time trials are certainly not flat out and back! Both the men’s and women’s events start in Sittard and finish in Valkenburg. The women's 34.2 km route includes two climbs; the Lange Raarberg, after around 20 km, and of course the Cauberg. The men’s 53.2 km route features the Lange Raarberg and also the Bergesweg in Voerendaal. The men also finish close after the Cauberg

As far as I know Greenedge are the only team yet to announce their squads. Men's team is:
Luke Durbridge, Svein Tuft, Cameron Meyer, Sam Bewley, Sebastian Langeveld and Jens Mouris.

A couple of things I'm no sure on - If a team wins the TTT who gets to wear the TTT rainbow jersey's at a subsequent TTT - only the members of the winning team? What happens if one of the riders moves to a different team?

Be interesting to see what squads are sent and who's taking this seriously. Quite a few teams could put out serious squads (Sky, BMC, Radioshack...) but I'm not sure whether they'll want to...

Comments

• I get the impression that Sky are just not bothered...Sky / GB seem to be approaching the whole Worlds this year fairly nonchalently, all the planning's gone into the Tour and Olympics.

OGE and Garmin are taking it very seriously though.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    I get the impression that Sky are just not bothered...Sky / GB seem to be approaching the whole Worlds this year fairly nonchalently, all the planning's gone into the Tour and Olympics.

Well this is Vaughters' baby isn't it?
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    I get the impression that Sky are just not bothered...Sky / GB seem to be approaching the whole Worlds this year fairly nonchalently, all the planning's gone into the Tour and Olympics.

Well this is Vaughters' baby isn't it?

True. Wouldnt care to bet against them winning it either
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Only 6 riders, and quite a difficult course. Might make it a hard one to predict.

Along with Orica and Garmin, I reckon:

Rabo with Boom, Flens, Clement, Kelderman, Sanchez, + 1 look good.
    Sky if they go with EBH, Dowsett, Flecha, Thomas, Stannard, Rogers should go close.
    BMC with Phinney, Pinotti, Gilbert, Quinziato, TJVG, Bookwalter
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Turfle wrote:
    Only 6 riders, and quite a difficult course. Might make it a hard one to predict.

Along with Orica and Garmin, I reckon:

Rabo with Boom, Flens, Clement, Kelderman, Sanchez, + 1 look good.
    Sky if they go with EBH, Dowsett, Flecha, Thomas, Stannard, Rogers should go close.
    BMC with Phinney, Pinotti, Gilbert, Quinziato, TJVG, Bookwalter
    What about OPQS?

Martin, Chavanel and Grabsch ought to make the core of a reasonable team, no?
  • Turfle
    Yep, them too!

Martin, Cataldo, Chavanel, Grabsch, Stybar, Terpstra looks nice.

And Liquigas are never far away.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Katusha have ridden some good TTTs recently as well haven't they?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Plenty of opportunity for some major bust-ups between national and trade team managers. I'd have thought that it would have been a high-risk strategy for pre (road) race favourites like Gilbert to be taking part in the sort of event that frequently sees a touch of wheels and someone sliding down the road on his snotter.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Not sure what to make of it myself. Obviously Euskadi are the stand out contenders though? :D
  • Nobody fancy Movistar after the win at the Vuelta? :wink:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited September 2012
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Astana look half decent
  • I'm struggling to find any enthusiasm for this.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Turfle
    Looking forward to this. Some struggles going on up the Cauberg in the women's TTT.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    Sorry if this has been asked before, I have been away.
    Are the world champs being shown on any TV channel?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    They're on Eurosport I think.
  • Turfle
    Yeah, Eurosport 1.30 today for Men's TTT and highlights of the women's TTT.
  • You've probably read by now - no jerseys for the winners, just a badge they have to stitch on to their kit up for grabs. If you leave the team - no badge for you. If the team disbands - no badges for anyone.

Some good teams - Vacansoleil look good but OPQS, BMC and Orica start as favourites.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    You've probably read by now - no jerseys for the winners, just a badge they have to stitch on to their kit up for grabs. If you leave the team - no badge for you. If the team disbands - no badges for anyone.

Badges?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsVi2RqE7ek
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    I'm just waiting for the coverage of the men's competition to start and they're showing highlights of the women. I'm sure Harmon just said that Emma Pooley has the highest power:weight ratio of anyone. Man or Woman. Amazing if I've heard that right.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    I'm just waiting for the coverage of the men's competition to start and they're showing highlights of the women. I'm sure Harmon just said that Emma Pooley has the highest power:weight ratio of anyone. Man or Woman. Amazing if I've heard that right.

Heard him say that too :shock:
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Interesting to see the last AG2R rider coming across the line still in an aero tuck long after he'd been dropped. Just using it for a bit of TT practice?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Hadn't realised they do the Cauberg just before the finish in the TTT too :shock: . Liquigas immediately dropped 2 riders there. They had numbers to spare, but could become interesting with teams that have lost more riders earlier

Rabobank and OPQS exactly the same time at first time check. Ahead of Orica, BMC, Liquigas, and Garmin, but all very close.

Rusvelo fastest for the moment
  • FJS
    Liquigas smashes Rusvelo's time
  • Milton50 wrote:
    They're on Eurosport I think.

They're on BBC 301 at the moment.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • FJS
    Rabobank making huge mistakes here (what's new :? ) - completely falling apart on the Cauberg
  • FJS
    Rabobank finishing 3 seconds behind Liquigas. They easily lost those on the hill waiting to regroup
  • milton50
    OPQS absolutely nail it. They take over 1min off Liquigas's time.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    What an awful spectacle....crowd size is similar to the Tour of Qatar too.