tour of britain, stage two *spoiler*

yorkshiretri
yorkshiretri Posts: 63
edited September 2012 in Pro race
hi all, just got back from watching the 1st climb of the day, it was near belper, arrived there around 10am, loads of peole out watching waiting for the pelaton, it was my first time id seen the tour except on the telly, a guy at the side of me said when you hear the helicopter they arnt far away, there was the usual police bikes came through first then pelaton safety bikes, then a race car and then finally!!!! a breakaway group of around 6 riders, the cheers were fantastic, the commentator car announced a gap of 2 mins to the group, then a massive roar came and the pelaton was there, bradley wiggins was 3rd i think, team sky was 1st 2nd and 3rd in the pelaton, really glad i got the chance to see it live and the atmospere was brilliant, cant wait to watch it on telly tonight.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Team Sky really love to sit on the front all day, every day, (up to the final 1 km!) don't they!!
  • Farrar's out with concussion. Maybe he should just call an end to his season, pull the duvet over his head, and write off this year (ok, apart from ToC)
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Like he should write off every other year....
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    Like he should write off every other year....

Bit harsh, up until this year he was notching up regular GT stage wins. He's never been the fastest guy in the world but still pretty damn good. This year has been a nightmare, hopefully a one off.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Not been the same rider since the 2011 Giro.
  • Not been the same rider since the 2011 Giro.

I was going to say that, but figure I should keep my psycho-analysis to myself :wink:

I wondered whether he'd become more risk averse since WW's death, but it could also be that he's just really out of form. He did win 2 stages in the Tour in 2011, but I think they were stages when Cavendish binned it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Has he changed his "Transition" lenses? maybe he just can't judge the distances these days
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

I was going to say that, but figure I should keep my psycho-analysis to myself :wink:

I wondered whether he'd become more risk averse since WW's death, but it could also be that he's just really out of form. He did win 2 stages in the Tour in 2011, but I think they were stages when Cavendish binned it.

Just the one Tour win last year, I think - the 4th Jul one.

Vaughters doesnt seem in a rush to sign up any additional sprinters, does he..

Just the one Tour win last year, I think - the 4th Jul one.

Vaughters doesnt seem in a rush to sign up any additional sprinters, does he..

You are right. Wikipedia lied to me, or at least made out that he won stages 2 and 3, however stage 2 was a TTT.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    He's the new Boonen, but without the Classics victories.

So far at least.

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones wrote:

And the Green Jersey and the WC win, both of which Boonen had won at the same age.

Sorry, but how exactly do they compare?
  • calvjones wrote:

And the Green Jersey and the WC win, both of which Boonen had won at the same age.

I think Calv had turned the sarco-meter up to full on that.

anyone had any luck with the ToB live tracker?
    @JaunePeril

• calvjones wrote:

Sorry, I got all Rick Chasey there.
  • calvjones wrote:

Sorry, I got all Rick Chasey there.

Ah a mild case of "Belgian fanboi" take two paracetomol and lie down, it will pass.
    @JaunePeril

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Just flipped on the ITV4 stream. Listening to Rob Hayles mangling "Saur Sojasun" is very amusing.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    calvjones wrote:

Slow and/or scared.

Both for perfectly rational reasons.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Hahahahaha

Too many pies
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Not sure what Cav was doing? Worried he was being brought to the line too soon?
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Why did Cav let Rowe's wheel go?

School boy error.
  • Decided he was in second wheel too early, tried to drop back, didn't have enough wheels to attach to?
  • graeme_s-2
    I see Samuel Sanchez is still sporting his gold helmet and shoes. Think he'll just keep wearing them forever?

I think Cav did think he was going to hit the front too early so let a couple of riders through to give him a bit of shelter to the line.
  • Cav is finished.

(I didn't actually watch it).
  • Beaten by Lee Howard. Never heard of him.

Sky lead out fail. Standard.

Good crowds.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Come on guys - it was clear that Cav was worried that Rowe would dump him too far out, so he dropped back to find a wheel. Don't do a Porter on us please.

He got a little bulked so it stopped his sprint. Howard did well to hold on - clear winner.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    How long has Porter been watching cycling and yet he didn't realise Cav had deliberately dropped off the wheel! Managed to make a hash of it though and probably would have been better off just sticking with Rowe who looked to me in a position to give a good lead out. Odd!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Cav is finished.

(I didn't actually watch it).

Me neither, but I confidently predict Cav will "hit back at the critics" at least once this week.
  • Beaten by Lee Howard. Never heard of him.

Good crowds.

Ah, I see your usual rational approach to evaluating any Sky performance, on display here :roll:
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Who is taking the P*ss asking Porter to commentate ? FFs he's sitting on the finish line the guy beats cavendish buy half a wheel and says cavendish has got it...it`s like watching the olympic road race all over again.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Beaten by Lee Howard. Never heard of him.

Good crowds.

The lead out was fine, Rowe was still at the front 100m out but Cav had chosen to try to use another wheel.
  • graeme_s-2
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Who is taking the P*ss asking Porter to commentate ? FFs he's sitting on the finish line the guy beats cavendish buy half a wheel and says cavendish has got it...it`s like watching the olympic road race all over again.
    To be fair Porter said he didn't think Cav had got it, but that the computer was saying Cav had got it.