Public bicycle pump

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
On Sunday I saw one of the most bicycle friendly public facilities in a long long time and made me actually think "we are finally getting somewhere".

Across the road from Wimbledon Trainstation, by the very large McD... Pret was a public bicycle pump much like this one:

34ioc2c.jpg

How very novel, how very practical and how very nice.

Bought a smile to my face that did and I can't help thinking, amongst all the grumbles and silent Bike - Motorised vehilce war, it is small things like this that you don't need huge major structual changes(segregated lanes and a sky tunnel) to enrich the quality of society and just make people happy. It's the small everyday things that help.

Discuss.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• That's rubbish, the hose is too short, it'd never reach the wheel of my car, and it's in a no-loading zone anyway.

Pah!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    that wouldn't last long around here, someone would have crashed into in an put it on ebay 5 mins later
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    Evans in Birmingham normally have a couple of track pumps locked up outside. I'd have thought it was fairly common in London.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    whyamihere wrote:
    Evans in Birmingham normally have a couple of track pumps locked up outside. I'd have thought it was fairly common in London.
    Yep, they're outside all the Evans, though I like the look of the proper public ones rather than bikeshop only ones
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    Yep, they're outside all the Evans, though I like the look of the proper public ones rather than bikeshop only ones

Most bike shops have a track pump available for all, mostly they're inside though
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    On Sunday I saw one of the most bicycle friendly public facilities in a long long time and made me actually think "we are finally getting somewhere".

Across the road from Wimbledon Trainstation, by the very large McD... Pret was a public bicycle pump much like this one:

34ioc2c.jpg

How very novel, how very practical and how very nice.

Bought a smile to my face that did and I can't help thinking, amongst all the grumbles and silent Bike - Motorised vehilce war, it is small things like this that you don't need huge major structual changes(segregated lanes and a sky tunnel) to enrich the quality of society and just make people happy. It's the small everyday things that help.

Discuss.

There's another outside the Three Stags pub opposite the Imperial War Museum (at the junction of Kennington Road and Lambeth Road.).

I'd heard about it and wasn't expecting much, but had a look last week and it’s a quality piece of kit! I think they are from some london art collective.
  • Do they work with both valve types?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • M-A-S
    edited September 2012
    Not sure, stupidly I didn't check! I'll go and have a look...

Edit: Looks to me like just schrader.

http://www.cyclehoop.com/features/first-public-bike-pump-in-london
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Really nice idea, but with the pump chuck hanging quite close to the ground I'd worry about hygiene. Do they smell of dog p*ss (or yob p*ss) yet?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    TGOTB wrote:
    Really nice idea, but with the pump chuck hanging quite close to the ground I'd worry about hygiene. Do they smell of dog p*ss (or yob p*ss) yet?
    Good point TGOTB.

M-A-S, could you check that out as well please?
  • M-A-S wrote:
    There's another outside the Three Stags pub opposite the Imperial War Museum (at the junction of Kennington Road and Lambeth Road.).

I'd heard about it and wasn't expecting much, but had a look last week and it’s a quality piece of kit! I think they are from some london art collective.

Yeah, I've seen that one too. They're really pretty looking pieces of machinery.
  • M-A-S
    kelsen wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Good point TGOTB.

Oh...hang on I'll go check...
  • tgotb
    M-A-S wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Good point TGOTB.

Oh...hang on I'll go check...
    Anyone near enough to pop out and grab a photo of M-A-S sniffing a bicycle pump? :P
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dhope wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Most bike shops have a track pump available for all, mostly they're inside though

Yes, and if you go to De Ver is Streatham they'll charge you 20p a go :shock:
  • kelsen
    M-A-S wrote:
    "Wait! I can explain Officer!"
    :D
  • Most bike shops have a track pump available for all, mostly they're inside though

That's inflation for you :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • M-A-S
    I felt like enough of a plank examining the valve let alone sniffing it!
  • tgotb
    M-A-S wrote:
    and.........???
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

That's inflation for you :roll:

Thanks. I just got volunteered for laughing out loud in a meeting.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • M-A-S
    TGOTB wrote:
    M-A-S wrote:
    and.........???

It's in London, at a busy junction, by a park, it's pretty much guarenteed to have at least dog pee all over it!
  • tgotb
    Does it look like it works with both valve types?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dhope wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Really? I'll never go there then...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    TGOTB wrote:

It looks like it's only compatible with schrader valves. Which makes it almost useless.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

It looks like it's only compatible with schrader valves. Which makes it almost useless.

All those nice folk with cheap and nasty BSO's will be all right though! :)
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • tgotb
    Big_Paul wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

All those nice folk with cheap and nasty BSO's will be all right though! :)
    Yep. Instead of carrying their own pumps, all they need now is a supply of disposable gloves...

Edit: Given the work that's evidently gone into this, it's a shame they didn't make the hose retractable...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    dhope wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Really? I'll never go there then...
    De Ver is de best bike shop in London. FACT.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ...apart from gouging you for the use of a pump.
  • kelsen
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Any particular reason?
  • kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Any particular reason?

They're very nice people, they have some utterly gorgeous bikes on display, but sadly their customer service is lacking, their workshop fees are overpriced, their mechanic is either not the best or is selective about what bikes he offers detailed attention to, and their stock is rather pricey.

I really wanted them to be the LBS I've been looking, but sadly they let me down pretty badly and they've lost my future custom. Perhaps I was just unlucky.
  • kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Any particular reason?

They're very nice people, they have some utterly gorgeous bikes on display, but sadly their customer service is lacking, their workshop fees are overpriced, their mechanic is either not the best or is selective about what bikes he offers detailed attention to, and their stock is rather pricey.

I really wanted them to be the LBS I've been looking, but sadly they let me down pretty badly and they've lost my future custom. Perhaps I was just unlucky.
    Never been there but if they can't even offer a bit of free Air to get customers through the door then it does sound like customer service is lacking, I've never come across a bike shop which charges to use the shop track pump!