2»

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    DDD you are public sector

The data have been lost.

FTFY.

mmmmmmm. Pedantry.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I explained to a certain staff member in the position of writing publications to the outside world that this website has stated that the correct term is 'in' the database. I explained who you were, what some of your jobs are etc etc.

He has stated that the term is 'on' the database and he will be following the Guardian's use of the term.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I think it's 'in' the database as well.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Data is an intangible concept, like spiritual energy or the Force.

The data is with the database.

May the Force be with you.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    edited September 2012
    Taking a slightly non-IT approach, on and in generally refer to physical objects. Information itself is not a physical thing, so neither on nor in adequately describe the situation. A similar confusion arises with books. By convention we say that the words are in the book, but on the page, but then again we use the phrase "on the books". The only thing really on the page is some ink, arranged in patterns of symbols in which information is encoded.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Agent57 wrote:
    (But on a related note, should it be "the data are stored", since data is plural for datum? :lol: )
    Reading through the thread from the start I have been increasingly amazed that it took this long to point out the really important error being made here: all these people sitting on their ba and posting on fora (or should that be in fora?) who don't know that data is plural. This should be one of the basic criterias for allowing people on the internet.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bompington wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    (But on a related note, should it be "the data are stored", since data is plural for datum? :lol: )
    Reading through the thread from the start I have been increasingly amazed that it took this long to point out the really important error being made here: all these people sitting on their ba and posting on fora (or should that be in fora?) who don't know that data is plural. This should be one of the basic criterias for allowing people on the internet.

Speaking of grammatical errors.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    One must open and close a database. Hence 'in' a database. My two bits anyway.

Gah - missus is trying to wean me of pedantry. Damn you all!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    In.
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    bompington wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    Reading through the thread from the start I have been increasingly amazed that it took this long to point out the really important error being made here: all these people sitting on their ba and posting on fora (or should that be in fora?) who don't know that data is plural. This should be one of the basic criterias (please note that this is a subtle joke, based on my existing knowledge that the greek word "κριτεριον" from which "criterion" comes has the standard plural for a second declension neuter noun , -α: and so criteria is already plural) for allowing people on the internet.

Speaking of grammar errors.
    Sorry, hope this makes it clearer
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Realised my own mistake - grammatical errors (rather than grammar errors..).
  • davis wrote:
    DDD you are public sector

The data have been lost.

FTFY.

mmmmmmm. Pedantry.

Now your just being silly.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    FWIW, I think the two are largely interchangeable as the english language has evolved now.

We regularly refer to something as being 'on-file' and have done so for some decades now - even though, in the days of paper files, whilst the record was on paper, it was physically inside the file.

We talk about something being 'on a list', rather than within a list.

However, I am not sure I have ever heard the term 'on a database' or 'on a word document' before and certainly not often. Generally accepted and used practice is definately 'IN' for both those examples - but that doesnt mean ON is not correct as there is evidence to say it should be as valid in this case as in other examples where it is accepted usage.

Now, an even more interesting conundrum - could you say 'on a record' or 'on a table' for data in a database? I think these should both be IN, but find ON more acceptable in these cases than when speaking about data in a database.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I explained to a certain staff member in the position of writing publications to the outside world that this website has stated that the correct term is 'in' the database. I explained who you were, what some of your jobs are etc etc.

He has stated that the term is 'on' the database and he will be following the Guardian's use of the term.

Have you asked him how he proposes to ensure that the data doesn't fall 'OFF' his database? I imagine he will need to incorperate a whole new security layer comprising velcro and sticky tape.

If he puts more data 'ON' his database, will he need to take this off again before he can access the earlier stuff?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • When you are adding records or data to existing records usually you are using a screen so you are viewing the data on a screen.

However, once the data has been added it is in the database but you can of course see/amend it by viewing it on a screen.

Clear as mud really!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    apreading wrote:
    Now, an even more interesting conundrum - could you say 'on a record' or 'on a table' for data in a database? I think these should both be IN, but find ON more acceptable in these cases than when speaking about data in a database.

I say "in a row", "in a column", "in a table."

Regarding "fora" versus "forums", I'm pragmatic. Fora may be the correct plural form of forum as far as Latin's concerned; but we're not speaking Latin. We're speaking (OK, typing and reading) English, and in English we generally just add an 's' to form the plural. So forums.

The one that I really don't get, it why we say "leftenant."
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Agent57 wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    [...]

Partly due to Old French or possibly the 'u' being written as a 'v', but mostly to annoy the Septics & the cheese-eating Surrender Monkeys.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    Agent57 wrote:
    apreading wrote:

I say "in a row", "in a column", "in a table."

Regarding "fora" versus "forums", I'm pragmatic. Fora may be the correct plural form of forum as far as Latin's concerned; but we're not speaking Latin. We're speaking (OK, typing and reading) English, and in English we generally just add an 's' to form the plural. So forums.

The pronunciation of some English names are even more divorced from their spellings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_in_English_with_counterintuitive_pronunciations
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition