UCI utter disgrace - not fit to govern

Comments

• Talking of the IOC they may want to rethink their inclusion of Fat Pat on the committee evaluating bids for the 2020 Games

http://www.olympic.org/content/news/med ... ig-reedie/
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Bungling, ineffectual, out of touch and incompetent I reckon.... Perhaps corrupt too in part
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    AH! but you get a blazer and a badge when you join - that's what it's all about! :roll: Old boy's network. :roll: Some years ago I seem to remember a (German?) woman tried to get elected but got shouted down but those men with their noses in the trough.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Bungling, ineffectual, out of touch and incompetent I reckon.... Perhaps corrupt too in part

Yes but enough about the BR moderation team, what about the UCI?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Ms Tree wrote:
    AH! but you get a blazer and a badge when you join - that's what it's all about! :roll: Old boy's network. :roll: Some years ago I seem to remember a (German?) woman tried to get elected but got shouted down but those men with their noses in the trough.

Touching assumption that the German woman (Sylvia Schenck) wouldn't have joined in had she been elected. She came up through the UCI management committee structure - she may have been a fine upstanding beacon of ethical and fiscal rectitude, or she might just have been as bad as the rest.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    LangerDan wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:

Touching assumption that the German woman (Sylvia Schenck) wouldn't have joined in had she been elected. She came up through the UCI management committee structure - she may have been a fine upstanding beacon of ethical and fiscal rectitude, or she might just have been as bad as the rest.

She's not pulling any punches here:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schenk-doubts-mcquaid-has-the-credibility-to-clean-up-cycling
    "It was a difficult situation. Armstrong was a big champion and he was close to Verbruggen [former UCI President] and the others. That wasn't strange, if you have the big champion of a sport he's meeting the officials at many occasions. I don't know how close those two were, it wasn't unusual for an athlete like Armstrong, but what raised my suspicions at the time was when we first had information that there were payments made to the UCI by Armstrong, we only learned about it through the media. There was nothing in our meetings and I've looked at the minutes. We never had information of how much was paid and what the money was used for. All the statements made by the parties even after were contradictory."

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    LangerDan wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:
    I think the ‘fine upstanding beacon of ethical and fiscal rectitude’ is probably the more appropriate of the two descriptions LangerDan offers.

Schenk was president of the BDR (German Cycling Association) for 2-3 years a decade ago, and also on the UCI for over a year as the BDR representative. She was able to get on the UCI because the IOC insisted on a quota for women in the organisations under its jurisdiction.

She stepped down after disagreements with other members of the BDR about how to handle a doping case – she wanted complete transparency and was a hardliner when it came to doping, but others in the BDR, particularly the team BDR trainer and the BDR doctor, wanted the case hushed up to the extent of not providing her with all the information, not informing the national anti-doping agency and not wanting to suspend the suspect rider.
    She later described the BDR as ‘contaminated’.

At the UCI, she openly criticised the behaviour of Verbruggen and his inner ring at the UCI for what she called his ‘wheeling and dealing’ with outside parties in his private backroom (so without the likes of her present), and without Verbruggen ever later informing those members outside his 'clan' about what had been arranged and with whom. This would have been about the time Verbruggen might have met LA in his private backroom, to negotiate the once-secret $25,000 LA paid to UCI, allegedly to suppress his positive test.

Schenk later said leaving the BDR and the UCI was the best decision she'd made in her life, because if she'd stayed, she would have had to keep quiet, and thus passively become part of the (corrupt) network and eventually been blackmail-able if she wanted to keep her position.
    I think she now works for Transparency International, an organisation concerned with stopping corruption in business.
  • If only Schenk was UCI president.... campaign starts here!
  • So now even one of Pat Mctwats former collegues thinks his a corrupt incompentent a*sehole.

About says it all really.

Why the individual federations (BC Cycling etc) aren't calling for his head I don't know.
  • Also why aren't the cycling media rounding heavily on Mctwat/UCI ?
  • Also why aren't the cycling media rounding heavily on Mctwat/UCI ?

They're playing "wait and see".

USADA will provide their reasoning, UCI will provide a response. The cycling media will comment.

We'll see if the UCI corruption bits are in the reasoning.

Hopefully.
  • Phil Leggup for UCI President !
  • RichN95 wrote:
    tremayne wrote:
    What I think we really need is a full scale whistle blowing extravaganza from someone close to Pat and Heime.

It'll be like Avon and Stringer in The Wire. Hein is "just a gangster, I guess", while Pat wants to move into more legitimate business. They will then turn on each other. One goes to jail, the other gets shot.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Where were the spoiler warnings?!

I just finished season 1. Brilliant.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Ahhhh...after all these years!! The boil has burst. I have questioned, on here, many times about why did LA et al win a lot of big races and not get caught for doping. Also, why did his ex Team mates get caught not long after they left the shelter of Bruyneel? Even AC got a kick up the butt and a positive test for upsetting LA/Bruyneel.

So it comes to pass that Verbruggen, after the 1998 Tour de Farce, had such a bloody nose from the Festina affair that they hatched a plan to get LA, the Ex Cancer comeback hero, to win the next Tour de France. This story would eclipse the following 1998 disaster and give some welcome headlines about a "new era in Cycling". This story would continue until the 1998 Tour was long forgotten about.

I think things still go on even today. The Frank Shreck thing was a little bit niffy also. Shrecks starting their new German Team next year and then Franky getting a Positive Dope Test which has sunk the two Brother's plans. Riis was left with nothing when the Shrecks robbed the Saxo Bank Team and Bruyneel got one over on them before he got done over himself.

Cycling is a crazy business. :twisted:

Jerry

PS- All this above is just my opinion not based on fact, ok.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Jerry - I'm very inclined to agree on most/much. I especially think that something doesn't quite fit with frank and his positive. I'm more than happy to accept he's juicing. I just think/suspect he was fitted up.

Perhaps bad for cycling - but I think the media need turn on the Uci, highlight them for what they are. A full scale shoot-storm is what we need.
  • Ultimately should be very good for cycling, would be the first to tackle the problem at its roots, surely other 'sports' would be 'encouraged' to do the same, maybe naive to think the vested interests will do so willingly :wink:

When the multi billion pound 'sport' industry is allowed to police itself , going to be very hard to crack the nut so to speak, just look at golf..............
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So what would you actually do?

Beyond guff like 'root out corruption'.

What would you actually do?
  • In a capitalist world it will be nigh on impossible to establish true democracy to institutions,you have to make the best of a bad job, the least that can be demanded is transparency and accountability, but as with FIFA, corruption was just swept into a broom cupboard.

Election of all officials .

Limited term of office.

No conflict of interest.

Full disclosure of all salaries, expenses etc- Norway leads the way on that one

I do realise its like asking turkeys to vote for xmas, so would not expect anything but some 'guff' about holding an inquiry and sacrificing some suitable lambs/sheep
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I dont get the golf reference?
  • Golf is light years away from tackling the thorny issue of 'illegal substance abuse'--- they just deny it happens, so therefore no issue---- meanwhile the omerta operates just as well there as it did in cycling-- tiger wood's odd behaviour the other year was 'taken care of'-- a very compliant press -- they all feed off each other, look at the cycling press-- knew for years but no insiders wanted to put their heads/jobs on the line--- only the outsiders digging away for twenty odd years have done this-- kimmage and walsh --- stil being hounded by the UCI !
  • I think that's unfair on at least some of the cycling media in the UK. The likes of some of the Cycle Sport and Procycling articles had as much of a questioning undertone as their publishers would allow

, with the threat of Armstrong's London legal rep Schilling pouncing on every move. Remember what happened to the Sunday Times when they published extracts from LA Confidential? The UK libel laws hamstrung the UK media to a huge extent - unless the outlet's owners were willing to lose legal cases and money hand over fist. To defend your case you have to have people willing to come forward publicly - and they just didnt have that. The UK libel laws place all the burden of proof and evidence on the defendent, and none on the claimant. With Armstrong's reputation, and with awareness of what he'd done to the Andreus, Lemond, Emma O'Reilly etc, people just werent willing to put themselves through all of that from Armstrong.
  • Also L'Equipe and some over European newspapers also published articles...but he kept on being able to wriggle off the hook
  • Fair point, i was being a bit simplistic, but the press in general are often are too cosy to the sources of power, they feed in the same trough so to speak-- not a great system of independent scrutiny....

Still LA must already be considering how to make dough out of this ......
  • rick_chasey
    Fair point, i was being a bit simplistic, but the press in general are often are too cosy to the sources of power, they feed in the same trough so to speak-- not a great system of independent scrutiny....

Still LA must already be considering how to make dough out of this ......

Stopping the money hemorrhaging out over the next year will be priority.

A lot of law suits will be re-settled.
  • I think the US media certainly went all out to help reinforce - and benefit from - the Armstrong myth. Plus the political power he wielded there was/is huge.

As Rick says, capitalising financially is probably not in Armstrong's consciousness right now. Its about survival and how to stem the outlay over the coming years.
  • Surely he must pay back all monies fraudulently obtained, and by implication that org of his that raises awareness is built on sand-- i agree he will be attempting damage limitation as far as money is concerned, or ways of getting more-- don't underestimate the dumb, look at all the cults etc that thrive in the US, to some people he is JC !
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I think that's unfair on at least some of the cycling media in the UK. The likes of some of the Cycle Sport and Procycling articles had as much of a questioning undertone as their publishers would allow

Would these be the same titles where the writers used individual blogs to claim the moral high ground but were quite happy to benefit from the circulation boosts gained from sticking Armstrong's fizzog on the cover?

Running with the hare, hunting with the hounds.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    I think that's unfair on at least some of the cycling media in the UK. The likes of some of the Cycle Sport and Procycling articles had as much of a questioning undertone as their publishers would allow

Would these be the same titles where the writers used individual blogs to claim the moral high ground but were quite happy to benefit from the circulation boosts gained from sticking Armstrong's fizzog on the cover?

Running with the hare, hunting with the hounds.

Might need to distinguish between the people writing the articles/blogs, and the publishers wanting Armstrong's smug face on the cover (as you say). Writers have no control over that aspect- publishers can lean on editors for that decision.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    How about I volunteer to join the UCI and clean it up.

For a healthy salary to afford to live in Switzerland obviously.

You could make a start with Welsh Cycling - if you can sort out their most recent spat (after a complete clean out that resulted from last year's spat) then sorting out the UCI would be child's play!
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    How about I volunteer to join the UCI and clean it up.

For a healthy salary to afford to live in Switzerland obviously.

You could make a start with Welsh Cycling - if you can sort out their most recent spat (after a complete clean out that resulted from last year's spat) then sorting out the UCI would be child's play!

Do tell.